Back in the decoys

Still waiting for northerns to arrive and corn to be harvested. Very few barley fields here this year. Most are in corn or alfalfa (dairy silage) or canola. Sometimes geese will hit the alfalfa if it's new plant with a grain cover crop cut off early. They're picking up the grain left underneath alfalfa. Have never seen geese or anything else having anything to do with canola. Stubble is too thick, high, and hard.

Hoping my five year-old black Lab will finally get into picking up honkers off the field this year. Lost her partner Opal two years ago who had picked up the slack when the chief goose getter Black Pearl died five years ago. Ellie is fine retrieving honkers from water but just waits for me to come help when they fall in a field. It's a small price to pay for a dog who is absolutely spectacular after pheasants. She works them like a pointer. Better than my French Brittany ... and she's great.

Last edited:
Still waiting for northerns to arrive and corn to be harvested. Very few barley fields here this year. Most are in corn or alfalfa (dairy silage) or canola. Sometimes geese will hit the alfalfa if it's new plant with a grain cover crop cut off early. They're picking up the grain left underneath alfalfa. Have never seen geese or anything else having anything to do with canola. Stubble is too thick, high, and hard.
Canola is good for deer elk moose Basically everything but geese

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back