Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Back from Montana

csutton7

Well 6 of us went to Montana and hunted the Boulder River area south of Big Timber. 4 guys shot a buck and a doe and I shot nothing. I had my cousin from Sweden here, my brother from Nebraska and two of the electricians that do my work, my other brother came for support. Between the 4 of them only Max has shot a mule deer previously and my cousin has shot a CA blacktail, so it was important for them to have success, plus I'm a picky SOB these days.

One of the electricians(Konstantin) shot a muley buck and forgot his knife and drug the UNGUTTED buck 1.5 miles as the crow flies, up and down a couple of nice canyons--wasn't the smartest thing, but it was impressive to say the least

my brother(Daniel) and the other electrician(Max) shot 4x4 whiteys and my cousin(Mikeal) shot a small muley buck...

on Mikeal's buck we had seen him with a bigger buck and some does at 650 yds across a ravine and we decided we would continue to the top and circle around and that's what we did. Kind of hoping to run into something bigger, but we didn't. So once we get to the top we get to a point where we can glass and we see a spike buck bedded right on top and few does below, but we can't see any of the bigger bucks. We back off a little and get out of sight, cross a fence and then use a bush to shield us so that we see more of the side of the mtn and see if we can locate one of the bucks. Once we get to the bush we glass, but we only see that little spike and some does. So I say we have two options: stay put and wait or try and back down and follow a fence line very, very slowly(in sight line of deer) and hope they don't spook. So we stayed there as I tried to think what would be the best plan.

Well there were some horses about 400yds away and they slowly began feeding our way. So I say if those horses come up here we can walk with them to where we can get a great view of the side of the mountan, cuz them deer can't count and won't know if we are horses or not. As we were trying to figure out what to do my brother(who wasn't hunting) ate a peanut butter nut roll and he had put the wrapper in his back pack. Well the horses slowly continued toward us and when they got about 30yds away they stopped and looked us over, but they must of sniffed that peanut butter nut roll, cuz they came on a bee line right to my brother's back pack and wouldn't leave him alone. So he says I think they will follow me if we lead on. I think a bit on this and a couple of horses walk around us and I say well let's go for it, so off we go, but very very slow, pretending to be horses stopping every few feet like the horses were doing and staying amongst them. Ah yes the ol' Indian trick looked like it may work. Well by god it did we got to within 200yds of the deer and my brother finally spotted the buck, bedded right next to a doe, and I mean right next to. but he was nestled into a downed tree, which offered no shot. So here we are with horses to the left of us and one right behind us, which I gave a great ear scratching to, that way he'd stay with us. Well my brother and I got Mikeal set up and I said are you ready and he said yea. We waited a few minutes and I said that buck isn't going to stand up until that doe gets up. I say we are going to have to whistle and hope she doesn't blow out of there. Of course we whistle and nothing, so we whistle again and again nothing. Finally the doe turns and looks at us, but all she sees is horses in her head. We were right beside a small tree, so she just couldn't figure out what was making that weird sound, so she stays put. Well gol darnit we whistle again and again and again and she just turns her head and looks, giving that inquisitive look like how are those horses making that sound, but still she doesn't budge. The buck does nothing all the time. Well finally I let out a shrill long whistle and she stands and slowly walks off. Ah, ha the buck stands but walks straight off, no shot. The doe turns to the right and stops and the buck stops facing away still. My brother is saying "wait til he turns", "not yet", "are you on him" "get ready".......well the doe finally goes down hill and buck turns, but he's fast and gets behind a tree with the doe. Man I'm thinking are we going to miss out on this again.

At the beginning of our ascent up the mtn we encountered a decent whitey at about 150yds, but Mikeal's scope was turned up to high and he couldn't get him in the scope and the whitey ran off---ah man I was thinking we are jinxed, as this was our last day to hunt.

Well finally the doe walks out behind the tree and the buck follows and my brother says "now" and before he could finish the rifle went off the buck jumped in the air and piled up 20yds away. Yee haw, he did and it was high five's and back slapping. A unique hunt for a great guy from Sweden.

Max shot his whitey out of a hay field, so there's no real story there...see buck stop in and ask rancher if we can shoot it, he says yes, so bang, dead deer and heart and liver to rancher, and the balls, which later he gave to his wife and said see what those boys gave me, a new set of nuts---oh my god did we laugh when he told us that. See we stopped there and shot a doe later and dropped of some more liver and heart to him from one of the other bucks we shot, so he was happy and was a great guy. It's sure nice to meet genuine people and are very thankful to him for letting us take a couple of deer off his hay fields.

My brother Daniel, shot his whitetail buck at 300 yds, this was his 2nd big game animal and first buck, he had shot a whitey doe a day or two earlier. Anyway we sent him up this hill, cuz we had a buck on the hill side and my other brother circled around and was going to push the buck up to him, well another unseen buck came barrelling out of some trees and ran underneath him toward Mikeal and I, and my brother yelled, so Daniel left his post and repositioned and the buck ran by us and Mikeal shot but missed on the run and Daniel shot at the buck on the run and missed also. The buck then ran another 50 yds and got between two trees and stopped. Well my brother had found a tree to rest on and Mikeal had the buck lined up and was ready to pull the trigger, but my brother beat him and down went the buck.

So Konstantin shot his buck first and I don't have much to report as he was on his own, but he said it was a 400 yd shot. The reason he had to drag it out, by himself was we had to move out of the hotel we were staying in as we found a cabin to rent and we were to be back at the trucks at 10am and he wasn't there. Luckily we had radios and told him we needed to leave and he needed to start dragging his deer towards the truck and we would come back after packing up the hotel. Well we didn't know he didn't have knife, thus his dragging the buck ungutted. I don't think he'll leave without a knife again in his life as it kicked his arse good, but his a strong lad, who was on the Kryrgyzstan Olympic swim team and it showed. He was given god like status for this feat. I would've waited or done a Moosie and gutted the thing with my teeth.

I never saw a thing I would shoot although there was to be big whitey on the ranch we never saw it, but oh well a great time was had by all and that's the bottom line.

can't get the pics to upload and I'm not sure why, but there's nothing big in the group, but the whitey's are respectable and Konstantin's muley had a weird double eye guard with one of the eye guards about 10" long if not longer.

chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back