Back after 6 months absence

devon deer

For various reason's I dropped off the radar, but I have been busy in England, (that's in Europe, yes I actually do exist and live in the continent of Europe unlike a member on here with the same user name!) I hope the following brings back happy memories to @Dave N , @Sawtooth and @brymoore
They took advantage of my previous offers to hunt with me, @406LIFE is next on the list but the offer is open to all as long as my health permits.
Which brings me onto another point, I'm not for sharing my health issues, but I did have a major health scare back in early December, still ongoing, but hopefully it will be sorted in the next couple of months, I hope so as I have been invited to hunt Muntjac and Chinese water deer in Norfolk, around 70 miles north of London.
In the first picture is my Capstan winch, it has been a life saver (literally!) I can now recover any deer intact back to my truck, expensive but worth every penny.

IMG_20220207_090114554.jpg
I was called out by a farmer, sadly this little female 'white' fallow deer had lost a leg in a wire fence, the farmer was grateful for the venison!IMG_20220125_100458105_HDR.jpg

After I shot this stag I used the winch to get it out of a bog, back up to the top of the field, than switched to the trolley with the help of my life long friend.
IMG_20211223_105628944~2.jpg

This was a client I took hunting his first stag, it was a really nasty stag, the farmer couldn't go anywhere near his wood/field as it was rutted up, it even came towards me as I was carrying my rifle, I made a quick exit and rang this chap, across the valley it came out at last light with it's hinds, his Blaser R8 .243 did the business at 220 yards, 2 shots both in the boiler room.
20211011_212042.jpg

I shot this decent Fallow buck just after the rut finished, you can see how thick the neck gets during the rut. @Hunting Wife I will get you one of these if you ever get over?
IMG_20211110_161540577_HDR.jpg

More reports to come, unless Randy ban's me for my first comments (only telling the truth ladies and gents)
I have made some great contacts over the years as a hunting and fishing guide, if anyone wants info on hunting in the UK for any species get in touch, or bird hunting/Ibex hunting in Spain.
I even have a great contact for a South African hunt.

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:
Didn't know you were guiding. Too bad. I might have been interested, but I just finalized another trip to South Africa in August. Barbary sheep, red lechwe and anything else that gets in the way. Anything else better either be cheap or management culls. Those two animals are pricey. Kinda blew my budget. I would be interested in stag someday. And ibex, but Spanish variety are expensive. A central Asian ibex hunt excites me mostly for the scenery.

Ya' know, maybe all of that running and "healthy" living aren't really good for you after all! Messed up tendon, other issues... ;) I mean, look at me! No real problems that I know of. I say this as I lick the icing from a jelly donut off of my fingers! :cool:

Just remember. We ain't as young as we used to be was. :rolleyes:

Richard, I am so sorry to hear that you have been struggling with health issues. I hope you are correct and it all gets sorted out real soon.

Get well real soon and enjoy your hunt in Norfolk

Welcome back

Glad you're doing better, Richard! And keep the pictures of Capstan and others coming! I love seeing it. The podcast with our mutual friend will drop the next week or so. It was incredible!

You’re one member that I’m definitely glad to see back! Hope your health continues to improve and I look forward to reading your posts.

Didn't know you were guiding. Too bad. I might have been interested, but I just finalized another trip to South Africa in August. Barbary sheep, red lechwe and anything else that gets in the way. Anything else better either be cheap or management culls. Those two animals are pricey. Kinda blew my budget. I would be interested in stag someday. And ibex, but Spanish variety are expensive. A central Asian ibex hunt excites me mostly for the scenery.
If you are after a Stag, the rut is the best time to come over, nothing is guaranteed but it increases your chances, and doing myself out of business, Scotland would be my choice of an almost guarantee of a stag, but it will cost!
Cheers
Richard

Back