Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

AZ Unit 5A late rifle

kstitz

So I drew this tag and have never been to the area. I am thinking about dirving down there next week just to get a feel for the area. I am used to hunting off horse but this does not look like a horseback hunt. Been looking on OnX but I usually hunt wilderness and roadless areas and this area has alot of roads. Anybody have any advice on where to start?

Southern part of the unit is the better elk habitat, learn the roads and also what to do if the roads are shutdown with snow, which is what happened last year. It's thick country with little glassing opportunity.

Hunting the late season I would focus on the following: Leonard Canyon, Clear Creek Canyon, Jacks Canyon - get permission to hunt on the Clear Creek Ranch - fish and game can give you contact info. Find a high spot in the Junipers and glass the morning and evening and you will see elk. Remember these are Arizona elk the first sign of cold the move down toward the junipers. If you have any other question please drop me a note back.
Ron

I will send you a PM. But I would be looking for places to glass. And the advice to arrange access to the Clear Creek Ranch is very sound, its pretty easy but you need to do it before the hunt starts.

So I drew this tag and have never been to the area. I am thinking about dirving down there next week just to get a feel for the area. I am used to hunting off horse but this does not look like a horseback hunt. Been looking on OnX but I usually hunt wilderness and roadless areas and this area has alot of roads. Anybody have any advice on where to start?

Congrats on your tag. You're in for an awesome hunt. Elk will bed two hundred yards from a road. In fact, most of the elk in your unit will bed less than a mile from a road.

This should get you excited - here are some pics from my cameras in 5A

Attachments

• Bull.JPG
    Bull.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 54
  • bull2.JPG
    bull2.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 48
  • bull3.JPG
    bull3.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 41
  • bull4.JPG
    bull4.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 44
  • bull5.JPG
    bull5.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 47
  • bull6.JPG
    bull6.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 43
  • bull7.JPG
    bull7.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 41
  • IMAG0033.JPG
    IMAG0033.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 44
I also drew 5A late rifle. Will be my first time out as well. Love seeing the pics you all shared. Really excited to try to kill my first bull!

Are there any cabins to stay in close to 5A besides happy jack? I’ve only been able to find them in Pine and Payson..

Are there any cabins to stay in close to 5A besides happy jack? I’ve only been able to find them in Pine and Payson..
How did your hunt go? Did you end up staying in a cabin? Where did you stay

Just drew this tag for 2024 and found your post. This will be my first elk hunt and looking for any pointers you found for this area.

I have about 10 months of scouting and research time, so I’m excited to learn about unit and how bulls travel the terrain. Thanks in advance.

love the facepalm. Don’t worry I’ve read through all the posts. The site requires me to react to others posts prior to getting other site capabilities.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back