AZ Southern Hunt

Gstephens

After re-watching the AZ southern Fresh Track trips, i decided i wanted to put something like that together. Being able to spend a week hunting a variety of game sounds like a blast. Wanted to see if anyone might be interested in this? I'm not sure of the dates but any help on that would be great as well.

I'm an AZ resident but have honestly never hunted down South (except yotes and small game on a whim while on off-road expeditions). I would absolutely be interested in joining an unofficial Hunt Talk trip!

I'll start looking at the regs and try to put together what week(s) would work to try to mirror that trip.

I like 33 and 34A for both Javelina and Deer. 33 might be interesting and has 1600 Javelina Archery tags so Im sure anyone who wanted to attend could grab a tag. Much of the unit is closed currently due to a burn but should be open by November.

I like 33 and 34A for both Javelina and Deer. 33 might be interesting and has 1600 Javelina Archery tags so Im sure anyone who wanted to attend could grab a tag. Much of the unit is closed currently due to a burn but should be open by November.
Thanks, i'll check out the regs and dates on the best path forward for this.

I'm not proficient enough with my bow to go after deer and javalina with it, but I'd be happy to help with glassing.
I think 34A, the 35s, and the 36s are a little easier than 33 in terms of terrain for stalking. They also have a little more opportunity for ducks, rabbits, and quail.
I have a few friends who are considering going after javalina with archery gear this year. They might be interested tagging along if the group is ok with non-HuntTalkers.

I hunt southern AZ every year for deer and javelina. This year was the first year I was not able to secure a deer tag. I taking that week I would've taken in the fall and moving it over to January in order to chase javelina with my new bow. Would be fun to meet other HTers.

Maybe we should do a vote between 33 and 34a? I have no experience with either unit.

So now that the regs are open, I'm thinking we do Javelina hunt 5095, archery. With that there are options for a OTC for any antlered deer, plus quail, and jacks. Hows that sound?
1600 tags for Javelina would give good odds.

If this ends up coming to fruition, I may head down there. I'm not very sneaky, but I can sit water!
I'll tell ya, this is happening with me for sure. Hopefully some others join as well. The plan is that this isn't just a pig hunt. It would also be an OTC deer, Quail and Rabbit hunt as well. A week of hanging out with some new people and having some fun. Someone also mentioned maybe ending it with a families coming the last weekend. Lots of options...

I could be down for this. Was already planning a trip down south for late OTC anyhow.

Back