AZ Prairie Dogs

Calif. Hunter

A bunch of friends, my 12-year old son and I went to Seligman, AZ last weekend to blast some prairie dogs. We literally had a blast. Stayed at a funky Route 66 motel (The Stagecoach 66 Motel) in Seligman because our usual haunt, The Grand Caverns Motel, was hosting a rodeo and was booked solid. My buddy's 15-year old nephew came and I got to take the 2 boys out....which means I did not get as much shooting done myself as usual. Two boys bailing out of the truck and blasting away at every dog in sight has that effect. :) Grasshoppers, lizards....they were determined not to come home with any ammo left.

I did manage to get to shoot at the ones way out there, and hit about 50 or so. I do love the .22-250's terminal effect on them! :D No trophy shots, as they were pretty mangled. Good times with the boys! (Both the old ones and the young ones.)

Hey CH, Have you checked the AZ regs lately? I think PD's are closed from April 1 to June 30 and then open again on Jul 1. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Last edited:
Hey CH, Have you checked the AZ regs lately? I think PD's are closed from April 1 to June 30 and then open again on Jul 1. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Whoops :rolleyes:;)

A prarie dog season. Who would of thunk it?

Yup.. THat why I was kind of unsure about it. I remember I got written up one year right after they implemented the "season" for those cute, cuddly, flea infested, prairrie rats.

Good deal!! I did the same thing on the 16th and 17th here in UT. Not real big towns, but sure fun! Can't imagine my dad could have brought enough ammo when I was 12...

Michael went through 2 bricks of 22 LR and about 100 rounds of .223.

Of course, I went through 200 rounds of .22-250 and about 50 rounds of .223. (Just because I ended up keeping the Kimber handier than the .223, and the .22-250 did a bit better in the wind. I use 40 gr bullets in the .223 and 50 grainers in the .22-250.)

The PDs were fairly scattered, but there were lots of young ones out running around. There sure was a difference in size between the older ones and the young pups.

Back