AZ OTC archery unit closure proposals.

It’s bound to happen with the current popularity. A 50% increase in NR hunters in a 2 year period has a tremendous impact on the resource.
Super valid point as I am one of those. I had a great hunt in AZ and I definitely will be going back. It is really good to see AZ take care of their public hunting lands and animal population. AZ is a beautiful but I also want to hunt in other states as well. I think my next states will be Nevada and Utah

For one I can totally support some of the general season reductions, then again the grain of salt removes one of my favorite units from the OTC late December hunt.

I can't argue the numbers are dwindling, especially up on the rim.

For one I can totally support some of the general season reductions, then again the grain of salt removes one of my favorite units from the OTC late December hunt.

I can't argue the numbers are dwindling, especially up on the rim.
Aren't the numbers on the rim low due to lack of water?

I’m sort of mixed on it. I definitely want the resource put first and will always side with reducing opportunity to improve quality-both animal quality and quality of experience.

We could limit NR opportunities and also limit rifle hunting opportunities.

Hard to believe that resident archery hunting is what needs to be eliminated when 800+ rifle tags are handed out in some of these units.

That said, I rarely see another hunter on OTC hunts.

My only concern is how well have these proposals been thought thru. Basically they could get 3000+ NR OTC archery deer tags again in 2021 and your just gonna have them condensed into a smaller pie. That could have negative impacts. Unless im reading it all wrong.

Weird Arizona pays “influencers” to come show off OTC hunting opportunities and then it becomes too popular and needs to change. Ugh!!!

AZ use to have a banner on this site and good for them and Randy for promoting their hunts and state. Maybe optics don't look good when influencer draws tag and getting money from state. Bow success is really low so it seems like it would be better to leave that opportunity and not concentrate pressure and take down rifle tags instead.

Watching the AZGFD live webcast of the hunt recommendations right now. For the reduced deer OTC, fawns per doe is trending down state wide over the last few years. Hunter success is trending up at the same time. And the guidelines limit total archery take to 20%, which is being exceeded. The department needs to respond to these factors, regardless of why they exist, and have the guidelines established to define management methods.

What would you all have them do?

I am someone who loves taking advantage of the opportunity to hunt every year with the otc option while building bonus points for a higher quality hunt. Arizona biologists have always done a great job of managing the resource. Ultimately I want there to be quality deer herds now and into the future. If they need to cut back tags to keep the quality and maintain the resource, I support it. I'm glad to see some data to support the decision.

What worries me with shutting down units is that it will push pressure into the neighboring units and cause more crowding. Both resident and non-resident tags sales are growing and efficacy with archery equipment is getting better as technology improves. Love it or hate it, it is improving success.

They needed to shut down 33 about 10 years ago. Hopefully it rebounds in a couple years(doubtful with all the lions).

NR only make up 10% of tag sales for the OTC deer hunts, I don't feel they are the problem. I think the vastly improved technology is more of a problem than NR hunters. However I will also miss those OTC opportunities and wish they would institute a primitive(longbow/recurve) season instead of eliminating. Let's get back to flinging arrows at 20 yards instead of 80-100. Nothing better than hunting AZ in the winter!

AZ resident and a few years from really enjoying OTC hunting. Bummer. Didn't know Navajo had moved to draw only. That must be effective in 2021.

One thing that I think could preserve otc opportunity would be making it so that anybody that drew a tag could not hunt otc.

Regardless of what they do, I am happy to see them having facts and making decisions based off of them, that place the resource 1st.
As a transplant from Montana it’s incredible to see. Data driven wildlife management? That’s a swear word back home.

NR only make up 10% of tag sales for the OTC deer hunts,
Assuming these numbers are correct it’s more like 20%

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back