Caribou Gear Tarp

AZ NR draw % for deer

AZ402

These are the numbers for Non-res draw percentage on deer north of the Colorado river (our premiere deer hunts).

12AE (early) 200 tags NR got 25=12.5%
12AE (late) 50 tags NR got 24=48%

12AW (early) 1000 tags NR got 80=8%
12AW (late) 175 tags NR got 48=27%

12B (early) 25 tags NR got 3= 12%
12B (late) 65 tags NR got 31=48%

12BW 125 tags NR got 36=29%

13A 30 tags NR got 16=53%
13B 60 tags NR got 34=57%

Lets hope our G&F comes through for the residents this coming year.

Stan, Do you have the number and/or percentages of NR applications? The draw numbers are pretty meaningless without the comparitive numbers if we are looking at preference issues. For instance.. If there were 500,000 applications for 1000 tags and 350,000 (70%) were NR applications then drawing 25% of the tags isn't impressive. On the other hand if there were 500,000 applications and only 50,000 of them were NR, then drawing 25% of the tags would be meaningful..

:cool:

I'll see if I can find that information. Regardless 33% of deer tags North of the Colorado river went to non-residents.

Dan, here is some more info regarding this past draw. Applications were down for all species with the "paper"

Deer applications went DOWN 5.8%

Elk applications went DOWN 9.4 %

Antelope applications went DOWN 27 %

Turkey applications went DOWN 18%

Bighorn sheep applications went DOWN 39.7%

Buffalo applications went DOWN 86%!

I once again don't have resident non-res break down.

It will be interesting to see how many nonresident “high point holders” used their points in this years draw, and how many just got lucky in the random draw. I also wonder how many high point holders used their points south of the river?
I already know your thoughts on non-resident caps, but how do you Az. Residents feel about bumping the “pass point” drawing to 20% ?

Stan, that all by itself is a good reason for the paper draw.. UNLESS... the drop was actually the result of paying up front for applications.. I would tend to think more the latter..

A-Con.. I don't know about 20%.. that would put a kink in a few of the hunts.. Maybe 20% for hunts with more than 100 tags and 10% for those with fewer than 100 tags..
I would accept the 20% if the proviso that only the high number point holder be awarded a tag. If you have one guy on an application with 8 or 9 points and the rest of the applicants have 6 or 7, then that wouldn't qualify. I know that they average the total number of bonus points now, so it may not be an issue.

:cool:

i think the non res. % is totaly wrong. i would be a little upset if it was the same here in idaho. arent they going to go to a more reasonable % next year? that being said im not against taking advantage of it though and got my name on a 12-b west early tag. im not expecting a very warm welcome frow some of the az resedents though.
a-con i drew on sheer luck no points . which is surprising with my draw record
28 years no sheep
most western states deer , elk and moose with slim draws, never a quality tag. ill take full advantage of this one. i know its not the late hunt but ill put everything i got effort wise since there is a small chance of a good buck 180 + buck MDB

I'd be pissed off if I were an Arizona resident. I hope nobody slashes my tires when I'm down there. I had one less than max points for deer and would have put in regardless of all the litigation, etc. However, the # on my tag is only 2 less than the quota. I wouldn't have the tag if it wasn't for this mess. Better me than one of Taulman's fatass New Jersey boys though I guess.

I was in the "1 less than max points" group also, and I'm thinking with so many "non-res" drawing this year, within a year or two, I'll be in the max pool, then it's just a matter of time till I draw a good deer tag on the pass point. If the pool stays at 20% it will be a lot less time then if it goes back to 10%.
Arizona residents had good reason to be up set this year, and I'm all in favor of going back to a non-resident cap next year, I just hope they don't get carried away. Non-residents are not the enemy, in fact most non-residents support changing things back.

AZ402 said:
I'll see if I can find that information. Regardless 33% of deer tags North of the Colorado river went to non-residents.

That`s way,way to many 33%.....I will be there in oct....

Well, if they go back to the Quota it will be much better now that a lot of high point holding NR purged their points with the new 20% bonus pass system. Just a thought.

There were 517 max point holders for deer in 2005. I'd imagine there will still be around 400+ max point holders for deer in 06.

With the quota I think a lot of nonres really built up points with the slimmer odds. Then with the no quota it put them in better odds with the higher bonus point pass the enacted. I thuink it will be a lot different in future year quota or not.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back