MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

AZ Hunting?

teej89

Recently my company started a branch office in Phoenix and are looking for employees willing to relocate. My gf has always wanted to go to a warmer state and I want to be out west for the hunting so this seems like a win win situation.

With that being said... as a resident (I know I won't be this year but for 2017) how difficult is it to obtain tags and what species of tags are most attainable? I would prefer to do archery also.

I've seen they do have OTC arhcery tags, how are these tags? Or are these areas where units are inaccessible due to being blocked in by private grounds.

In the end I'm getting at would I have the opportunity to hunt big game each fall?

Also I have zero points there... if I would have known about this opportunity 9 days ago I would have bought a point for this year.

Thanks guys!

I will send you a PM. In short...If it were me, I would move take the move to AZ. I am currently trying to get relocated to AZ.

If do establish residency in AZ, immediately upon being a resident, buy the lifetime license. If you later move out of AZ...you get to participate in the 90% resident tag bucket. You still will pay non-resident tag prices but your odds to get the tag as a NR will be 3x higher in the Preference Point pass (15 or more of the 20 tags per 100 total tags for the unit in the R portion vs 5 at most per 100 in NR) then 15x higher in the Random (75 tags or more of the 80 tags per 100 which fall to the R portion vs at most 5 per 100 in the NR).

Traditionally there are a few leftover rifle tags after the elk, deer and javelina draws. Usually are reservation tags for elk and mule deer that then are open to anyone in the leftover process and leftover rifle Coues deer tags. Some javelina tags are leftover in most units. The leftover Coues tags can be during some hot weather so prepare accordingly.

OTC archery tags for Coues deer are in the rut in January. Low success rates but the temps are generally going to be chilly so as are stalking a buck you can reflect on how damn hot July had been.

Leftover tags do not burn your accumulated points.

Not sure but think the OTC tag does not burn your points and if do not fill the tag then can still apply in the deer draw in July but you are limited to one deer harvest per year. Archers...can you confirm?

Javelinas are abundant in many areas and can be successfully harvested with a variety of weapons.

Drop me a PM when you get settled. I am not an AZ resident but own a home in PHX and spend several days a year there in the cooler months.

I've seen they do have OTC arhcery tags, how are these tags? Or are these areas where units are inaccessible due to being blocked in by private grounds.
!

I believe Arizona is something like 50+% public land so I highly doubt that will be an issue.

Not sure how things work on Indian Reservations but I believe there is a fair amount of land in AZ that is reservation land so you may want to look into that.

I believe Arizona is something like 50+% public land so I highly doubt that will be an issue.

Not sure how things work on Indian Reservations but I believe there is a fair amount of land in AZ that is reservation land so you may want to look into that.

Lots of public land and some private land allows public access. SE corner is the only place I've seen posted.

Shoot this is great information guys, really making me feel good about this state! I really like my company and would hate to leave them so the fact I could stay with them and also live in a state where theres good hunting would just be a win win.

I appreciate the input guys, thanks!

If do establish residency in AZ, immediately upon being a resident, buy the lifetime license. If you later move out of AZ...you get to participate in the 90% resident tag bucket. You still will pay non-resident tag prices but your odds to get the tag as a NR will be 3x higher in the Preference Point pass (15 or more of the 20 tags per 100 total tags for the unit in the R portion vs 5 at most per 100 in NR) then 15x higher in the Random (75 tags or more of the 80 tags per 100 which fall to the R portion vs at most 5 per 100 in the NR).

Traditionally there are a few leftover rifle tags after the elk, deer and javelina draws. Usually are reservation tags for elk and mule deer that then are open to anyone in the leftover process and leftover rifle Coues deer tags. Some javelina tags are leftover in most units. The leftover Coues tags can be during some hot weather so prepare accordingly.

OTC archery tags for Coues deer are in the rut in January. Low success rates but the temps are generally going to be chilly so as are stalking a buck you can reflect on how damn hot July had been.

Leftover tags do not burn your accumulated points.

Not sure but think the OTC tag does not burn your points and if do not fill the tag then can still apply in the deer draw in July but you are limited to one deer harvest per year. Archers...can you confirm?

Javelinas are abundant in many areas and can be successfully harvested with a variety of weapons.

Drop me a PM when you get settled. I am not an AZ resident but own a home in PHX and spend several days a year there in the cooler months.

I definitely will, thanks for the information!

One deer per calendar year taken on either an OTC or draw tag. You can archery hunt every year for deer on OTC tags. You also have an excellent opportunity to draw late elk tags. I've hunted elk every year in AZ I wanted to. Sometimes I've had hunts out of state that conflicted with elk hunts in AZ so I put if for points only on those years, otherwise I've hunted elk every year for the past 12 years.

After the good words from you guys and talking to some people I know that live within the Phoenix area it looks like we're making the move. It's going to be some time in august but both the GF and I are beyond excited. Living in OH the past 3 years has been 2 years too many, and now I get to experience out west and not look like a job hopper since I'm staying w/ my company.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Prescott puts you right in the center of the state but too many Californians moved there and drove the housing prices way up. Prescott Valley would be my choice. Too damn hot in the Phoenix area for me anymore.

Where in Arizona would most hunters suggest as the best place to live?

I bought a place in AZ a few years ago. Most likely will retire there someday.

I picked Phoenix metro. I rarely hunt in AZ but have had an elk hunt and 2 deer hunts since moved there. I do not go out and hunt dove or quail or turkey so if you hunt 100 or more days a year then might make sense to live where can hunt outside your front door.

I live in mid-Scottsdale in an older neighborhood. I am the gray-haired youngster per my neighbors and a lot of them bought their homes new in early 1970s and then stayed. Several neighbors are retired or will in next few years. Most are empty nesters.

I can walk to old town Scottsdale for a cold beverage. Am 20 minutes by car to the main airport. Have a spring training baseball field I can walk to as well. The best rated dog park in the metro region is walking distance. Excellent hospitals just minutes away though hope never need to get to them in a hurry. For sports entertainment there is NFL, NBA, MLB and ASU. Nascar runs here once or twice a year. Major concert tours often stop here to put on a show. Good eateries and lots of variety of food.

Camelback and Piestewa peaks are local hikes, each of about 3 hours to make the round trip up and down. Nice views at the top and good training hikes for mountain hunts.

Several communities border Phoenix so housing prices vary quite a bit as get a few miles away but if you do not have a daily work commute or have little kids where specific school districts are a major factor then can price shop for relative bargains in the outlying areas.

One of my neighbors in AZ actually has a place in Flagstaff, also. Is often 20F cooler than Phoenix so is a nice summer getaway just 2 hours up the road. I fly quite often so Flagstaff was not an option for me. I prefer a bit more diversity in eateries and entertainment options.

Phoenix is not for everyone. I like it and I visit in July, too, so have dealt with 115F where the low that night is 90F or above. A/C takes the edge off the heat as does a pool. I try to get the outdoor stuff done the first hour of visible light a day in the summer. Keep water nearby as does not take much effort in the heat to get into trouble with heat stroke. I BBQ dinner outside on the hotter days to keep the house cooler. October to April is usually very comfortable temps. The rest of the year can hit 100F or hotter several or all days each week. But those winters are fantastic.

The valley that the Phoenix Metro area sits in seems to go on forever. The population is around 4.4 million, yuk.
The summer heat is also quite extreme. The summer monsoons make hot and muggy.
Flagstaff or Prescott would be my choice if I was making a move like you.

The valley that the Phoenix Metro area sits in seems to go on forever. The population is around 4.4 million, yuk.
The summer heat is also quite extreme. The summer monsoons make hot and muggy.
Flagstaff or Prescott would be my choice if I was making a move like you.

This ^.I lived in Glendale the first 9 years of my life. Phoenix is a huge hot, dirty, mean city. Do yourself a HUGE favor and visit for a week before committing to a move.

Lived there many moons ago. Check out the Reservations. $$ may seem to be a tad on the steep side, but I nailed a B&C bear my 1st day in the White Mountains.......Just sayin' !!

And it's open, nasty country, when you're in the field pack a sidearm, on your hip, not in the back pack.

My 4" Taurus .357 revolver carried right nice.

Last edited:
I lived there 2006 to 2008. I would live on the outskirts of Phoenix, maybe Mesa, Peoria, or Scottsdale (if u can afford). If you can live anywhere in the state, I would look at Strawberry or Prescott. Lots of great country there with beautiful scenery and cooler temps compared to Phoenix. If I had the opportunity I would move back to AZ in a heartbeat.

I too had moved there in the Summer. I remember stopping in bumble bee to get fuel and when I stepped out of the vehicle, it was like a Sauna.

It does get hot.
We have a few tradeoffs, Giant Antelope,Big Bulls, Opportunities to hunt every year.
You will have to change your hunting style. Good boots and a pair of Binos. Good luck

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back