AZ ELK vs MT ELK

beardown

O.K. Moosie you asked for it,this topic really never was resolved! I personally have been fortunate to hunt in both states.As of right now I have to take AZ over MT only for these reasons.......1 From what I saw this year AZ bulls rut alot harder...this is just from not doin so great callin and I just never seen the sign like you do in AZ even when the area was loaded with Elk.One place over by Lolo had some decent rut sign but it still was'nt crap compared to the sign you'll see back home.........2 Not alot of places to hide....By this I mean private land,game ranges etc.I could of drilled this big old buck this year but he was sitting right on the other side of the gamerange fence,had he been there just two days before he would of felt fury but he knew what date it was.You don't have this problem in AZ, they keep the gamranges open until the last day of elk seasonand the one ranch I would hunt on you just sign in and go you dont have to even ask!.......3.Theres 395 Bull's around every corner!!!Heh!Heh!! Heh!
hump.gif
eek.gif
hump.gif
hump.gif

I suppose if you like to hunt once every 3, 4, or 5 years, just with your bow in one place for a week, a really good hunt, then Arizona might be for you.

Personally, I'd prefer 10 weeks of elk hunting (5 archery, 5 rifle) in a giant state with lots of options to choose from. I get to hunt for 350+ bulls every year for 10 weeks. That's just the general over the counter license and areas... There's always those limited quota permits here that annually produce 400+ gross type bulls, and they are easier to draw than the hunts in Arizona.

If I had to pick the top 3 states to live in for an elk hunter it would be like this:

1) Montana
2) Wyoming
3) New Mexico

Greeny, I'm not sure I'd agree with your Order of Hunting. But I'll agree that Montana is Better then AZ for several reasons.

I like to hunt every year. I guess I just want to know how many times you (Bear down) have Actually hunted Elk in AZ.. Out of How many years of putting in.

I've never taken a Huge bull in Idaho either, but There is some Good bulls here. If I didn't put in for Sheep every year, I could draw some Late season Hunts that Produce .

Anyways, I think there is alot of Idaho Potential but I just haven't cashed in on it all. The odds of Drawing are bettewr then AZ by all means for sure.

Personally I'm not sure what we're debating ? Is it if Montana or AZ has better bulls ? I think they might both have goos bulls, Both rank higher then Idaho for sure. But as Far As Hunting opertunity, If I were to be given a State to live in, I'd live in Montana or Idaho, Reason being is I hunt Every year. Hell, Even as a NON resident in Montana I hunt Every other year at worse.. Well, Depending on what the wife lets me
biggrin.gif

I agree, before this can be debated what are the subject we would debate? Personaly I think they are both great by looking at the record books but its just my observation that in order to kill in MT on a huge bull you need to be part Mule, or have a shitload of cash, VS the AZ guys killing huge bulls that they drive up to and load in the truck... MT sounds great if you live there and have plenty of time to scout but AZ seems like there is good hunting as long as you draw a tag.
NM seems to be in between them, the 2 years i hunted there it was pretty sweet. I actually saw 3 bulls one year over 360 size in a hard to draw unit, including the new state record the year before it was shot. I got within 30 yrds of it believe it or not!!
Reason i know it was the same bull is i got a really good look at it while i stalked it in a bed. It was a nontypicle and i will never forget the sight of it laying there. Then just a few weeks ago i talked with the guy who killed it and he told me he shot it within 1/4 mile of where i stalked it. That bull was within 1 mile of a drivable road too.
So there is lots of places to decide what is better but its how you look at it. For me, I never hunted MT but i would pick NM first because its an easy draw if you live there and there is killer bulls. Maybe not the 420 bulls coming out of MT and AZ in numbers but there are definitly lots of 350 plus in great numbers in some units.
My friend that lives there got a 350 this year, his bro got a 370, and buddy a 300 all in 15 hours time in the archery season, public land. Same place i saw the state record (422+)

AHA!!! The king of Montana finally!!!! Hey Greenhorn its good to finally catch you online.......herd alot about you and would like to hook up sometime in the future........As for the debate I'm not sure I just wanted to here more about huntin bulls in MT
smile.gif
As for moosie you don't want to know how many(twice in 15 years)but that is probably more of a reflection of what units I put in for ie;I haven't had a deer tag in 9 years
confused.gif
So moosie why don't we put in for AZ this year,I'll even use my credit card!We probably wont draw but if we did you would be sold!But I do agree if it's huntin every year you can't beat MT, after havin a full year up here next year should be kickin.Let's see some of those monsters again on this post. I really would like to see some of greenhorns big bucks!! I herd he has quite a few. Maybe AZ402 a.k.a. fagboy can post a few from AZ, I really want to see that big non-typical they got this year
eek.gif

Moosie, You are an idiot, and don't know what you are talking about. Idaho is a lousy place for Elk. All the Wolves have ate anything that is 6x6, thus rendering the entire state nothing better than Spikes, and only after 6 mile climbs with ropes and tampons...
wink.gif

Yeppers, I would only suggest people go to Montana or AZ for Elk. Idaho is the shitz...
tongue.gif

I'd Post those Pics, But It's alot of Work, How about I give you the "BACK DOOR" link to some of Greeny's Trophies :

Secret Back door link

If that doesan't work, Try this one :

POO PICS

AZ402 said He'd pay for my App in AZ too..... HUMMmm... You guys are jsut trying to get me out of Idaho.. huh ?

You sick bastard! you got the links messed up !! Or are trying to say greenhorn is sh#t??

If you are talking about elk hunting in general, I'd have to say MT. Only because of the opportunity to hunt decent bulls every year. As far as bull for bull goes, I'd have to give that to AZ. Yes Chuck has killed two toads the last few years there. Az also put out the pending top two non-typ P&Y bulls this year. A lot of states are catching up as big bull producers, NV and UT are awesome (Harder to draw than AZ). I think NM has taken some steps backwards, with some suspect managing.

Hilyer, if you want to see the bull from this year, go to www.arizonaelksociety.org and look for the auction elk page.

If anyone wants to email beardown you can do so at [email protected]

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-21-2003 20:27: Message edited by: AZ402 ]</font>

Wow!!!!! That was the first photo I've seen of that bull, what can you say bad about AZ it just has great game management. I know they filmed that one ,when is the next video comming out? Was'nt John comming out with another big bucks video to?

No doubt AZ has some great elk hunting. I'm crossing my fingers to draw someday. As for MT's limited draw hunt quality of bulls vs. Arizona's... if Arizona really is better, it's definately not a landslide.

I guided a hunter for elk here in MT who had been to the White Mtn Res in AZ 7 times. As we walked to the vehicle in the dark on day one of his MT hunt, he told me the action we had just experienced was far more intense than anything he'd seen on the White Mtn reservation in Arizona. The price tags of both hunts were comperable though.

I want to draw that 10 early rifle tag. I can't afford to go, but if I draw, I'll make due. Might as well buy a lottery ticket.

Beardown, if you are a friend of Stan's you are way too gay.

Greenhorn, you are right beardown is way to gay, we had to get him out of AZ. I agree that it isn't land slide. And if you are with the wrong people on any of the rez hunts here in AZ, you could be in for a bad hunt.

Greenhorn yeah were freinds but I'm the man in the relationship! Heh!!! Heh!!!.....anyways I would loae to draw that tag to, but like you say hunting for elk with a rifle is for fags!(or somethin like that)why not put in for the archery hunt? The problem with the latter hunt is those bulls really get to fightin and by the end of the archery hunt they are usually all broken up.Just remember someone has to draw it thats why I've been puttin in only for the 13b muley hunt for the last nine years!

AZ sounds a lot like UT for elk, great if you can draw a tag or have the $$$. The ranch I did some research on averaged 354 last year for bulls!! Of course, it's a very hard draw or $12K+ if you want go. The unit I cow hunted in is a limited entry unit and I saw 5 bulls that I'd guess were 330+. It's the same area the state record was shot the year before (416 gross). There was a 422 gross non-typical shot down south somewhere, I think it's on the cover of Eastmans.

Have to disagree AZ402 [6a rifle early bull 2002] 1% draw success [6a general rifle bull 2002] 8% success [Archery bull 6a north]8% success [Archery bull 6a south 11%] [Archery bull 6a west 11%] if you look at the Bull draw odds Archery is a much easier draw than rifle.
smile.gif

Any earlt rifle bull hunt is going to be an exception. I don't consider any 6a archery hunt a premier hunt. I'm talking 9,3a/3c archery vs 6a,10 etc...general hunts

Back