Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

AZ elk help

smith4

Im looking to go on a late AZ rifle elk hunt. I don't have any points. Im looking for a unit that is fairly easy to draw. Does anyone have any advice on which unit s??

There are some limited opportunity hunts that have good drawing odds, but they also have some very low success rates to go with them.

Thanks for the welcome!! Im non- resident in AZ. I have done some research and I would like to hunt the northern part of the state.

With zero points you will not be in the Bonus Pass draw so you're stuck in the 1-2 Pass.
Go to the draw odds section and download the "1-2 pass odds by hunt" report and look it over.
Elk hunts start at hunt #3001 and you are in the 0 point row for each hunt.

smith4,

As a NR with zero points you will have to do a ton of research to have any chance of drawing a tag this year. And I don't mean that your odds are simply low, but that they can in fact be zero. Do you know anything about the way that the AZ draw works?

Bob's advise to look at the draw reports is sound, but before you go into that blind (you won't understand any of it) do a search on this site-- something like "arizona elk draw." There have been some threads fairly recently that should help you make some sense of all of those numbers. There should be some units where you would at least technically have a chance at a tag. Do your homework, and maybe you'll get lucky.

Yes, what I didn't include in my post above is that NR can draw no mare than 10% of the tags, and for early rifle and archery, that 10% cap is filled for virtually all rifle, and all upper tier archery hunts.

Only 1 tag from the early rifle hunts was available for a NR to draw in the 1-2 pass. All others filled in the Bonus Pass.

I have had good luck in 5a/5b, although I was a resident when I was hunting there and that was about 8 years ago. Good luck.

Not much of a chance to draw as a NR in AZ without points. I can't recommend trying to build up enough points. I've got 14 now, I can draw archery tag and some of the later rifle but none of the ones I want. Spend your Elk hunting dollars elsewhere or move to AZ.

What's your motivation for wanting to hunt AZ?

The two easiest tags to draw in the general season late hunts are 22N (hunt codes 3024 and 3025 this year) and you could draw one of those hunts even with zero points. There is a good population of elk in 22 but very, very few bulls over 300 get harvested in the late rifle hunts and mature bulls are hard to find period. A lot of spikes and younger bulls are taken. That hunt is no walk in the park since those elk are hunted almost non-stop from September to December.

That would be my recommendation if you want to just have a chance to go elk hunting in AZ. Snow is common on those hunts, but rarely lasts more than a couple days. Pretty nice weather when you compare it to CO late hunts.

Not to get off topic, but can I buy points each year until I have enough for the tag I want, or do I have to apply each year?

Yes you can buy a pref. point.
They have a code for point only.
You have to buy the out of state hunting lic. too.
$160
$15 application fee.
$175 will buy you a point

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back