AZ 7W vs 5b North Late Rifle

huntertx

I have accrued enough points to where a late rifle hunt in 7W or 5B North is within the realm of possibility. I hear both have better glassing than some of the other late rifle units that you can draw with 6-9 points. If you had to rank these two in terms of "glassability" how would you rank them? Is there much difference in terrain between the two units?

Jay Scott did a podcast about a year ago about Arizona applications. He's not a fan of 7W for late rifle; direct quote below:

“Don’t hunt flat units, or units with only mountains where the big bulls stay high and you can’t weed them out of the timber, like 7W.”

Like Jay said 7W is mostly flat, with a number of smallish mountains where the bulls stick in the timber. 7W has some good glassing but just because you can see them doesn't mean you can shoot them, that's the biggest issue with that unit. Also 7W cut tags by 100 this year on the late hunt (550 to 450) so draw odds are likely to go down, especially for nonresidents.

Jay Scott did a podcast about a year ago about Arizona applications. He's not a fan of 7W for late rifle; direct quote below:

“Don’t hunt flat units, or units with only mountains where the big bulls stay high and you can’t weed them out of the timber, like 7W.”

Like Jay said 7W is mostly flat, with a number of smallish mountains where the bulls stick in the timber. 7W has some good glassing but just because you can see them doesn't mean you can shoot them, that's the biggest issue with that unit. Also 7W cut tags by 100 this year on the late hunt (550 to 450) so draw odds are likely to go down, especially for nonresidents.
That's really helpful. Thank you. I thought I heard on a recent Jay Scott podcast that he liked the 7W late hunt, but maybe that was just one of outfitters he had on. Does your same critique apply to Unit 9? Seems like that unit is as flat or flatter than 7W.

That's really helpful. Thank you. I thought I heard on a recent Jay Scott podcast that he liked the 7W late hunt, but maybe that was just one of outfitters he had on. Does your same critique apply to Unit 9? Seems like that unit is as flat or flatter than 7W.

I just went back and listened to that podcast to make sure I wasn’t misremembering. It was Jay Scott Outdoors 525 (Jan 6, 2019). I actually think it may have been Steve Chappell who makes the comment, so my apologies for saying it was Jay. They talk about the late hunts right around the 44 minute mark, and lists his favorite units for that hunt and why. He talks about 7W at the 45:30ish mark.

I can’t comment on 9 as I haven’t hunted that particular unit.

Last edited:
There are definitely some huge bulls in 7W. My archery hunter friends show me pictures. However, I hunted the late season twice and could only find smaller bulls.

Hey, just wanted to mention that Jay Scott started a series of new 2020 AZ draw podcasts starting Dec 27th of 2019. Steve Chappell was the first guest. I believe there is 3 total with 3 different outfitters.
Also, the Built to Hunt podcast has some decent info as well.
And don’t forget Elk Talk AZ edition. You can learn who to call when a elk is 120 yards away! I think his name is Corey. Lol
Good luck down there. Those are sweet tags either way

Hey, just wanted to mention that Jay Scott started a series of new 2020 AZ draw podcasts starting Dec 27th of 2019. Steve Chappell was the first guest. I believe there is 3 total with 3 different outfitters.
Also, the Built to Hunt podcast has some decent info as well.
And don’t forget Elk Talk AZ edition. You can learn who to call when a elk is 120 yards away! I think his name is Corey. Lol
Good luck down there. Those are sweet tags either way
Just finished up the HT AZ podcast as well as the Jay Scott podcast. Very insightful. Thanks for the heads up

Well?! Where did you end up drawing Huntertx? A good buddy of mine who I'll be hunting with pulled a rabbit out of his hat and drew late rifle 7W. Coming from WI. Been podcasting and E-scouting and the biggest thing I've found is that there are a pile of roads all over 7W.

I drew unit 8 late rifle for this (2021) season. Seems like lots of roads there as well. Can’t wait to get out there

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back