Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Axis Deer - Hawaii

SticksMcKinley

Does anyone have any recommendations for hunting Axis deer in Hawaii, guided or unguided? My wife has started talking about a trip and I better get some ideas going before I end up spending a week on a tour bus with a ring of flowers around my neck.

Any recommendations for where to find information on regulations and costs?
I am heading to Lanai on Saturday. I'm taking my bow and gonna kick around a little and see what I can find. I managed to come up with limited intel from some on this site and a few old posts. I'll let you know what I learn when I get back, but it seems pretty straight forward.

I am heading to Lanai on Saturday. I'm taking my bow and gonna kick around a little and see what I can find. I managed to come up with limited intel from some on this site and a few old posts. I'll let you know what I learn when I get back, but it seems pretty straight forward.
Thanks, I look forward to it!

Lanai DIY...getting kind of pricey to rifle hunt the private side though...still worth it IMO.
It was my understanding that the whole island of Lanai is private. The north side of the island has limited vehicle access and is mostly brushy canyons. The south side of the island (where I've seen the most hunts on TV) is relatively flat with high grass. Unless the 4 Seasons Resort has something, I don't think there are any tour buses on Lanai. There are very few roads on Lanai.

I know they also have axis deer on Maui, Molokai, and I think the Big Island. More of other stuff to do on those islands, but Lanai is still my favorite.

It was my understanding that the whole island of Lanai is private. The north side of the island has limited vehicle access and is mostly brushy canyons. The south side of the island (where I've seen the most hunts on TV) is relatively flat with high grass. Unless the 4 Seasons Resort has something, I don't think there are any tour buses on Lanai. There are very few roads on Lanai.

I know they also have axis deer on Maui, Molokai, and I think the Big Island. More of other stuff to do on those islands, but Lanai is still my favorite.

There is some state land there where public hunts are held.

The remote side of the island in unit A is where I spent most of my time on my 2 trips.

So, I'm on my way back and will try to capture a little of what I learned about hunting. Like I said, the regulations and permits are pretty straight forward if you make a few calls to the game management office before you go. I hunted the archery only portion of the private side and did not participate in the state controlled hunts. There is no shortage of animals, but don't go expecting the Joe Rogan experience as he was hunting the guided only portion which I would classify as a glorified canned hunt. The other areas are full of educated deer and sheep that aren't fond of humans. I didn't hunt any of the rifle units, but if you are interested in harvesting an animal, I am quite certain a day or two would be more than adequate. If you want to go on the cheap, try your hand at the archery areas and prepare to be humbled.
You can hunt and stay on Lanai cheap if you do enough digging. I won't give specifics, that's your job, but it's easy to find info if you talk to a few people. There are reasonably priced cars and rooms if you look around and finding that info is part of the experience.
I probably wouldn't go there just to hunt, but adding a few days of hunting to a vacation is well worth it. It is an amazing island full of wonderful locals.

Attachments

• IMG_20200131_183736.jpg
    IMG_20200131_183736.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 64
Very well done!! Thanks for sharing the info. Axis is HI is high on my list as my wife want's to go back to HI and I want to do something other than pickle my liver. ;)

So, I'm on my way back and will try to capture a little of what I learned about hunting. Like I said, the regulations and permits are pretty straight forward if you make a few calls to the game management office before you go. I hunted the archery only portion of the private side and did not participate in the state controlled hunts. There is no shortage of animals, but don't go expecting the Joe Rogan experience as he was hunting the guided only portion which I would classify as a glorified canned hunt. The other areas are full of educated deer and sheep that aren't fond of humans. I didn't hunt any of the rifle units, but if you are interested in harvesting an animal, I am quite certain a day or two would be more than adequate. If you want to go on the cheap, try your hand at the archery areas and prepare to be humbled.
You can hunt and stay on Lanai cheap if you do enough digging. I won't give specifics, that's your job, but it's easy to find info if you talk to a few people. There are reasonably priced cars and rooms if you look around and finding that info is part of the experience.
I probably wouldn't go there just to hunt, but adding a few days of hunting to a vacation is well worth it. It is an amazing island full of wonderful locals.

Thank you very much for the info and congratulations on a great buck!

Thank you very much for the info and congratulations on a great buck!
When are you going?

I've been committed to a wedding in Maui this october... I debated putting up a fight but I know a "yes ma'am, sounds great" goes a lot longer than starting a fight I'll never win haha

When are you going?

I've been committed to a wedding in Maui this october... I debated putting up a fight but I know a "yes ma'am, sounds great" goes a lot longer than starting a fight I'll never win haha

I understand! My plans have changed entirely. Somehow the Hawaii trip my wife was talking about before the holidays morphed into me taking our soon-to-be 14 yr old son on a bear hunt for a week in June that will end with my wife meeting us for a short vacation in Glacier NP. And people say there's no Santa Claus...

But seriously, please PM me or write a post about an Axis hunt if you get a chance to go while you're in Maui. For all I know, I'll be looking at doing an Axis hunt next year.

When are you going?

October most of the bucks will have shed their antlers. If you're hoping for a wall hanger better to try for mouflon. Axis is still great even if just hunting for the meat.

October most of the bucks will have shed their antlers. If you're hoping for a wall hanger better to try for mouflon. Axis is still great even if just hunting for the meat.

I'd love to go on a hunt but with the hunts I have lined up for this fall I think I may try and sneak in a fishing trip during that week, I think she'd agree to that.

I was actually going to reach out to you @glass eye about if you knew of any fishing in Maui. Whether it be guided or non-guided.

Following up on this thread to see if there’s anyone who knows of an area with trespass fees on Maui or a decent guide for a 1-day hunt (seems to be all one needs based on what I’m seeing). Seems the state wants to be able to better handle the 100k axis on the island and I’d love to help out! ;)

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back