Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Avoiding the High and Dry

I hunted with Calder Mt last year. It was a lot of fun, but leaving the boat was an issue. There were just 2 of us, and one of us was ALWAYS in the boat. The tide moves way too fast for beaching for more than than a few minutes.

The boats are very heavy aluminum. You will not be sliding them anywhere once grounded. Do yourself a favor and get a boat with a partial cover. A few extra bucks but worth every penny. Otherwise, you will be wet regardless of the weather.
I appreciate the advice Brent!

Looking forward to your report. Do make sure you check with them about dropping a crab or shrimp or both pots in the morning. Only takes a little time for some mighty fine eating. I don’t remember when you’re going, check the regs of course

I look forward to posting! I did ask Bill at Calder about a crab trap and he says the large # of otters in the area has wiped about the Dungeness which I was sorry to hear! I would be happy to hear reports of the contrary if anybody had any.

Reactions: PRC
Headed to hunt black bear on Kupreanof Island in May. Will be staying at Calder Mtn Lodge. I will be hunting them by boat and by foot. This is my first time hunting tidal waters and my greatest concerns on this hunt are understanding how to anchor the boat and making sure it STAYS PUT when going ashore and being able to retrieve it when needed with the large tide swings in the area. Anyone have experience with this or can anyone point me to a resource in print or online to prepare myself?

My other concern is losing a lower unit on rocks. I do understand how to read a nautical chart and will obviously be going slow and especially slow in tidal areas. I will have navionics on my phone and will have a Lowrance GPS/depth finder in the boat. Any advice in this area would be much appreciated also!

Happy hunting!
I will be there in a month!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heddenbk
Back