Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Average Joe's 2019

I have a little more fidelity on when I'll be making it home. If everything stays on track I'll be able to sneak an Oregon elk hunt into early Sep. (I need some redemption from last season) I'm still waiting on the 2nd Idaho draws to be released to make my final decision, but no matter what, I'll be hunting elk in at least 2 states in September.

All I need to do is get home!

Gettr' Done,gotta fill that freezer...:cool:

Gettr' Done,gotta fill that freezer...:cool:

The Oregon trip will be a nice opportunity to spend some time by myself. Long drives are great for knocking out a couple audiobooks, and there's nothing better for my mental resiliency than waking up in the mountains before the sunrise, slipping out of my sleeping bag, starting my coffee, and being alone with my thoughts. There's no schedule, no deadlines to meet, no CONOPs or orders to read, no bosses 'advising' me on how to run my life, and no one calling to ask irrelevant questions I don't have answers for... All I have to do is the thing that is most natural to me... hunt.

Lately my dreams have been filled with vivid moments we all hope to experience soon. Like that eerily quiet time after you freeze immediately at the sound of what you thought was a branch breaking. The trembling excitement you struggle to suppress as the sound of thunderous bugles and crashing brush get closer, and closer, and closer. The flutter in your chest when adrenaline dumps into your blood after you catch the first glimpse of an elk through the trees. The frantic moment you seek to find a lane big enough to fit an arrow through safely. The time where your mind and vision narrow to focus on the simple, but extremely challenging task of keeping your composure and executing what you've practiced thousands of times before. Breath calmly. Set your feet. Draw back. Anchor and sight picture. Float the pin. Break the shot.

And then I wake up...

This weekend was very productive!

I got a lot of my hunting gear laid out, sorted and packed up.
I’m basically at the point where I need to food shop, pack the truck, and roll.

I also played with some broadheads and got some cameras loaded up with fresh batteries!

b4833037e4e9a7f1f7cf779c147f0f47.jpg

Then my helper and I went out to hang some cams and scouted.
b1917d452e6b972a5ab7731758ed87ed.jpg

93f75972acf1f67c6ab614c35cc777cd.jpg

I got a lot of work done this weekend.

I did a mock pack up to make sure all my gear would fit for NM.
I’ve got plenty of room for gas cans, water jugs, and hopefully some racks ;)
1bd36770772be893dead1fd73d46bd3a.jpg

9966c83d595a441fd9278cd309da50f6.jpg

We also cleaned coolers!
169d08308f864cc60b3faa7812e11399.jpg

I also shot my bow for an hour yesterday at my 3D deer at various distances and I’m good to go.

Then today was broadhead day.... everything checked good!

dc4f081e6b71fc696ffe9d5ff7624b7d.jpg

I’m really anxious and excited! Everything is coming together well, the bow is shooting well, and I’m ready too.

13 days!

Looks like your guide is busy supervising your work,looks like
it all checks out. your good to go Daddy...I-I mean Mister! :cool:

Looks like your guide is busy supervising your work,looks like
it all checks out. your good to go Daddy...I-I mean Mister! :cool:

She's been pretty involved with all of this! It was a good weekend.
I am already trying to figure out how I can get her on a hunt.
I may try to throw a ground blind up this season and bring her on a whitetail hunt.

The house is pretty hostile now.... my wife was strict on telling me not to come home without an elk, my daughter is strict on telling me I need to take her with me, and they both are great at reminding me when I do something wrong.🤣

She's been pretty involved with all of this! It was a good weekend.
I am already trying to figure out how I can get her on a hunt.
I may try to throw a ground blind up this season and bring her on a whitetail hunt.

The house is pretty hostile now.... my wife was strict on telling me not to come home without an elk, my daughter is strict on telling me I need to take her with me, and they both are great at reminding me when I do something wrong.🤣
Sounds like your Q to hit the road and get an elk! Good luck and keep us posted

Got out and shot my bow yesterday. Turns out the bow still works and the indian hasn't forgotten how to shoot after an 8 month sabbatical.

I was also able to test out a few different vane configurations, but I've decided the 6 fletch 2.25" vanetec shield cut configuration is the best. Other combos will control big broadheads better, but none of them are as consistent at long rages. My arrows with this combo just fly like darts as far out as my sight will allow.

IMG_20190830_080827.jpg

This combo also gave me the best results last season. I used it to kill both mule deer at pretty decent yardage. The only downside I see with this setup is how long it takes to fletch up a dozen arrows.

Today was more prep for the trip.
I’m not using my typical set up this year so I’m trying to make easier meals to cook and eat. So I did a lot of same shopping today and prepped some individual meals for me to cook up quick when I hit camp.

efecdc7c10ba30cbe0b1db41bbba2951.jpg

255fdffe6ec683d30a477b1c5bf32342.jpg

Pulled pork, chicken, steaks, burgers, Mac and cheese, red potatoes, brats, rice, and more.

Plus I have a sweet tooth...
d1fcd4e82edf2196c1e2d5e0171de105.jpg

I also picked up another release. I have another Carter, but I much prefer this new one I picked up. It shoots GREAT
c1e8d2839eab8874296df04d56605382.jpg

I am so ready for this season!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back