Auodad hunting New Mexico

Hornsgalore

All,

I have heard about an over the counter Auodad hunt possibly a year around hunt.... I am looking where in the state this hunt is held and what the success is on it? I am in search of a DYI for this species. Not sure if there is any info on the NM game and fish website or not! Any help would be greatly appreciated if you know what direction I should go.

In New Mexico they are called Barbary Sheep.

They do have some unlimited over the counter year round tags.

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/dow...015_16-New-Mexico-Hunting-Rules-And-Info2.pdf

Pages 98 and 99.

Success rates are pretty low in the limited draw areas and the unlimited areas are areas where they don't want any of them so the success rates are even lower. Sheep are few and far between in those units.

I have hunted Barbarys in New Mexico for the last ten years, killing three rams during that period. If you don't want to waste your tag money, you need to hunt one of the limited draw hunts in February. The sheep numbers are up, and if you can both glass and hike in some nasty country, hunt the Unit 29/30 hunt. Otherwise, hunt the other one, which has easier terrain, but be prepared for a mix of private and public through the entire area. Know where you are!! I hunted for 3 years before I figured it out, and didn't kill a ram for another two. Most people who hunt these sheep hunt them once and never go back. I think they have expectations, and then show up and find out it is much more than they had imagined. But that being said, they are a blast to hunt and besides, what else are you doing in February????

Mid March. Last year it was March 18th. Not sure if they have published the final regulations for this year or not.

Hornsgalore, I know the Unit 29/30 hunt area really well. If you decide to put in for that hunt and actually draw it, you should PM me. Odds are about 1 in 3..... Also, check the hunt rules, because I believe that the tag is good for OTC units from April thru the following March, and not just for the February controlled hunt in 29/30. Check it out, I could be wrong, but that's how it used to be. So if you strike out during the controlled hunt, you can come back later for the OTC hunts, and if that happens, you should definitely PM me.......I hunted 29/20 last February. I killed a decent ram, but my buddy shot a monster. They are there!!!! BTW they eat like steamed cardboard......

Hornsgalore, I know the Unit 29/30 hunt area really well. If you decide to put in for that hunt and actually draw it, you should PM me. Odds are about 1 in 3..... Also, check the hunt rules, because I believe that the tag is good for OTC units from April thru the following March, and not just for the February controlled hunt in 29/30. Check it out, I could be wrong, but that's how it used to be. So if you strike out during the controlled hunt, you can come back later for the OTC hunts, and if that happens, you should definitely PM me.......I hunted 29/20 last February. I killed a decent ram, but my buddy shot a monster. They are there!!!! BTW they eat like steamed cardboard......
I drew the 29,30 archery tag for January 2024. Mind if I pm you?

I have hunted Barbarys in New Mexico for the last ten years, killing three rams during that period. If you don't want to waste your tag money, you need to hunt one of the limited draw hunts in February. The sheep numbers are up, and if you can both glass and hike in some nasty country, hunt the Unit 29/30 hunt. Otherwise, hunt the other one, which has easier terrain, but be prepared for a mix of private and public through the entire area. Know where you are!! I hunted for 3 years before I figured it out, and didn't kill a ram for another two. Most people who hunt these sheep hunt them once and never go back. I think they have expectations, and then show up and find out it is much more than they had imagined. But that being said, they are a blast to hunt and besides, what else are you doing in February????
I drew a Barbary in NM for February, I'm expecting to put in a lot of miles each day. With your experience how many miles did you put in each day?

Come back daddy everyone wants you.

Back