Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

August Elk success?

YZF-88

Anyone ever tag a bull in August? If so...what was your early season strategy?

I luckily drew a Wasatch Utah bull elk tag that somebody just turned in.

Finding them in their bachelor groups now. Season opens the 18th. Wondering if they'll still be in bachelor mode. Wonder if they'll hold to their patterns for the opener. That'd be too easy.

you may want to take a listen to Jim Horns audio on calling early season elk. I have had some luck way out west using some of the techniques he describes. It is worth a listen.

Here is a picture of my Dad's Wasatch bull from last year during muzzleloader. I think he shot it at less than 20yds.

2011UATHBULLHUNT024.jpg

I'll be interested in what your experience is. I don't know when those bulls shed their velvet, but I'll bet the Boy's club will start breaking up when they do. Seems like the bulls will stay out in the open as long as there is velvet on 'em but hit the thick stuff once they get hard horned.

They are getting clean now. Glassed some up the other night on the Wasatch front.

I got my bull on opening day August 30. Not quite when you are starting, but August at least. On that day, the bulls were bugling and with cows. I had three bulls bugling at once. Unusual for that time of year, but for some reason they were all together. Last week and a couple of weeks ago on Team Elk, Brandon Bates and Cameron Hanes were in Utah in mid August of last year. Both got bulls. All of the bulls they saw were either in small bachelor groups or alone. There was no bugling. They just hiked around looking for Elk and were successful. With the heat this year, I would anticipate that you will have to work pretty hard and be quiet as you hike around.

That's a crazy looking right side on that bull huntbux.

I'm hoping they stay grouped together for at least the first week. Spot'n stalk elk sounds just as appealing to me as calling them in.

This past weekend they were clearly establishing their pecking order by sizing eachother up, kicking the suboordinate bulls out of their bed just for spite. Just like siblings at home! Heard and watched them bugle on occasion as well.

I'll keep everybody posted!

Goingto try finding water sources and patterning the groups more during the upcoming weekends.

Where can I find that Hanes footage of the Utah hunt?

You can probably find the Hanes footage on youtube or on the Team Elk web site. I would do a web search for RMEF Team Elk to find the link there. Good luck. I would definitely agree that you will want to find some water and pattern when they are coming in and out of it.

Sounds good. Thanks for the feedback. This is my first EVER elk tag. Going to hunt an OTC elk in Idaho the second half of September as well.

Shoot straight.

Hane's bull came to a water hole, which will be your best method.
Bing aerial has the best sat images of Utah that I have used. Water is pretty easily seen if you zoom in and start doing a grid search.

Haven't used that web site much. Looks good. Thanks for the heads up.

Does anyone know where to get Jim Horns audio at? I looked on Youtube and googled with no luck. Doing a first week archery hunt and not sure how it's going to go. Thanks

Shot this guy last year the first day of season, 27 August, in Colorado. Simple strategy, worked a ridgeline between their feeding area and bedding area at daylight. The full story is in the last issue of Elk Hunter magazine.

Attachments

• 321081_251249544906623_100000647397367_835674_687725_n.jpg
    321081_251249544906623_100000647397367_835674_687725_n.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 311

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brady1988
Back