Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

ATV's

Reggae

We're thinking about getting an ATV this spring (4x4). Most people I've talked to say Honda is the most reliable. Looking at Polaris too, but I've heard some complaints about too many repairs....
Any wise words of advice?

I have a Kawasaki Bayuo 300 4x2, It does alright but if I were to buy a new one I would either get a Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 or a Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4, something with more power.

[ April 03, 2001: Message edited by: CougarGuy ]

Reggae, my biased opinion is honda, they are bullett proof, i have a 92 350 4x4, runs just like brand new, i bought on because of my cousins, his honda is 14 years old and they have literally beat the $hit out of it. rolled it, submerged it in ditches and everything else you can think of, alls its ever needed was the usual maint. oil change. i ride with other people that dont have hondas and wish they had them. just my .02 worths. Mine has no problems in the cold or heat. i would get tall skinny tires, they cut right through the snow compared to the shorter fatter tires. I had 550 pounds of elk plus me and my cousin on my honda 350 last year, it sqautted her down a little but it got the job done, i would get a 350cc or bigger.

------------------
Kirkl's Hunting Page
Kirkl's Fishing Page

deer8.gif

[This message has been edited by kirkl (edited 03-21-2001).]

i have a yamaha timberwolf 250 4x4 and primarily use it on our farm in tnn. as for a hunting machine i couldnt tell ya but, i work mine around hauling stuff and if i ever buy another one it will be no less than a 400 the 250 is a little under powered in my opinion.I can only imagine it would just sqwat and strain to haul out an elk or large animal in any steep country!! I will say i have pleased and never had any problems with the yamaha but that could just be luck!!! just my .02

my brother-in-law has a honda and would back up everything that Kirk posted above!! kinda like that chevy-ford thing!!!! we dont run ours to much in snow or cold so i couldnt tell ya if they have problems in extreme weather!! good luck!

------------------

fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

[This message has been edited by DKO (edited 03-21-2001).]

[This message has been edited by DKO (edited 03-21-2001).]

I drive a 1979 Honda trail 90 everyday. Got to admit they are prety bullet proof.

John

------------------
"When a man lies he murders some part of the world"

Cliff Burton

The hondas are probably the most maintanence free. With that said you need to ride them all that you are considering. I have 2 of the Polaris 500 Sportsman and would own no other. Had to replace one bearing and one belt. The belt was my fault. The new 500 H.O. is the most awesome quad you can buy. I always tell people that if you can hold on they will go anywhere. Look around for the best price. Here in AZ you can find them anywhere from $6800 to $7800 out the door. I know it's a lot of money but you have to look at like you were buying a Jeep. Here you can license them for the road. I did hear the the Forest Service will start giving out tickets if they are not licensed for the road.
Steve

It would be hard to buy a bad 4-wheeler nowadays. As little as 5 years ago I would have argued different, but now most all have their good and bad points.

I've got a Honda '95 300 4x4 that I bought new. 10 days after I got it, I put it through the ice in front of my house. I found out they float, only upside down!

It was in the water for over 4 hours before we finally extracted it. After draining the fluids and replacing them all, the bike started right up. ^ years later, I can honestly say it has NEVER let me down.

I work the absolute HELL outa my Honda. It gets used almost every day: I plow snow with it all winter; use it to tow stuff around the yard, and it is indispensible around the hunting property.

Because of all this, I'm particular to Honda. My next machine will be the new 500 Rubicon. It is the ONLY ATV with a true automatic transmission. Honda uses a fluid system much like automobiles, while all the rest use a belt system identical to a snowmobile drive. Obviously these are prone to eventually wear out.

And no matter what you buy, a winch is an absolute must!

reggae,
i have 2 honda 300 4x4 one of then is a 1990 the other is a 1994 never had a problem out of either one. have put a lot of miles on both a lot of hard miles on the 1990 but you need to look at all an if you can try to test different bikes because what i like someone else might not. good luck. be safe.

I don't own an ATV but where I work we ship cargo to the villages. The number one brand we ship has to be the Honda foreman. To me it tells me something because these folks depend on the atv for everyday transportation use. Definitely get a winch.

Thanks for the advice guys. I bought one yesterday, a 2000 Honda 4x4 300. Last one the dealer had, they've been replaced by the Rancher. He gave me a pretty good deal since it was last years model. First major "toy" I've ever bought!! It will get plenty of work too though, around camp, planting and spraying, etc. Was looking forward to riding it today, and it's 20 degrees and snowing! Oh well, think I'll go anyway....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back