PEAX Equipment

Attn: Waterfowl fanatics!

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
Ps.
Harlequins were plentiful but I passed on them.
I have enough of them from previous Alaska hunts and no need to shoot more of them.

Wondering what everybody is seeing? Last two weeks have been absolutely dead. Sloughs and ponds that are normally crawling with birds are completely devoid of any signs of life. Everyone keeps talking how there still up north. I'm not buying it.

Wondering what everybody is seeing? Last two weeks have been absolutely dead. Sloughs and ponds that are normally crawling with birds are completely devoid of any signs of life. Everyone keeps talking how there still up north. I'm not buying it.

Seeing birds (honkers/lards) migrating in Montana, not big numbers yet. Lots of snows passed thru already.

Only got out a few times as we are chasing big things thru the end of the BG season but hammered them pretty good when we did. Girls and I got my 65 y/o uncle on his first real field hunt.

44DE4089-C8DD-4892-A0BE-3DDF53E7F5E5.jpeg
6D946ADE-3C66-45BA-826E-5DAEB4FBBA5D.jpeg

There are birds everywhere, high up migrators. Tough to hunt those! I buttoned up one of my spots this morning due to ice.
D6A975AF-DB76-4A91-86F2-71369092C220.jpeg

I saw a lot of geese in the air this afternoon off 88 in rock island and whiteside counties. Petered out to nothing the further East I got.
There's quite a few geese around , not near like it usually is this time of year. But ducks...slim picking so far.

I’m north of you in NE Wisconsin. We had a big push of ducks come through Friday, got out Sunday pm after the snow thinking we would be covered. We got one mallard, only saw a few.

I hope I’m wrong, but I think a lot of the birds are probably south of you by now.

Hope your wrong too. Reports from guys I've talked to south of us are same as here, so not real sure what to think.
From the tracking info from birds with transmitters it seems they are just now making it to the northern part of Central IL. Hopefully all the weather up north will push them down for the Thanksgiving opener here

I'm not seeing much waterfowl activity on the Montana federal refuge. We'll see what happens after this horrendous windstorm subsides. Already 48+ hours of 60+ mph winds. Got up to 82 mph some places. Supposed to drop to 15-30 mph later this morning so I'll head up there and see what's happening. I'm only after uplands but that place is a major stopping off point in the flyway. Usually packed with birds this time of year. Some swans were in over the weekend but no honkers and very few ducks. No cranes. It was shirtsleeve weather (actually Bermuda shorts would have been fine) so nothing is froze up. I think waterfowl is just a month late coming down. I've been here since 20 Oct. Strange because the honkers back in Ontario came through on time, albeit very quickly. They were gone by the time I left but that has become normal in recent years.

Last edited:
Back