Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Attention HD 410 hunters....

mtcurman

Hey guys, I just thought I should post this up here so I might save somebody from having a really unpleasant trip... If you are planning on bringing a camper on 79 Trail, you should reconsider. The road got so much use by the fire crews it is just ground to axle deep talcum powder.. I drive my work truck on it each morning and evening and fishtrail and spin out everyday. You really would not want to haul a camper down it, you will coat everything with that powdery gumbo dust and most likely get stuck to boot. And if we get ANY moisture, it will be even more of a quagmire than usual. Also, the portions of Swinging H deeded that are generally open in archery season are now closed due to fire danger.

Ben

Ben, thank you in advance. I can't imagine that road if or when it gets wet. Hope to see you later this Fall.

Thanks for the update on the 79 trail . Wishing you guys the best luck this fall. We better get you a mountain dew and some huckleberry jam for that info.

I just did a scouting trip out to western Montana and Wyoming. It is terrible. Starts in western North Dakota and goes all the way thru Montana. I was on I 94 and I90. You could see along the interstate where many fires burned, some one probably thru out a cigarette and it caught the ditch on fire and then spread. From what I could see of signs posted where I looked only fires allowed are contained fires, a wood stove and such. And only if you had a certain size spark arrestor on it. NO campfires at all, not even in designated areas. So please read the rules and please be careful out there. It's scary dry. We started back on Saturday and saw where new fires had popped up due to lightning strikes on Thursday and Friday, no rain. Things are brown in Montana from border to border, Eastern Idaho no better and western Wyoming is dry but not quite as dry looking, probably had more snow pack the help them but still very dry.

Well I am glad my post helped you all. Horse Camp and Crooked Creek are about how they always are, dry and rough. Crooked Creek is pretty dang washboarded from all the marina traffic. If you get up that way, the marina is now open 7 days a week and they have gas, soda, snacks, etc... They are having a cookout on saturday. Great folks.

How is the river levels looking in comparison to last year?? I sure hope there isn't a large rainfall like in 14'!! That was some tough huntin!

How is the river levels looking in comparison to last year?? I sure hope there isn't a large rainfall like in 14'!! That was some tough huntin!

The river is way low.. It wasn't even flowing a few days ago.. They shut the irrigation off upstream though and it is flowing again. I would love a big heavy rain right now, and I hate rain generally.

Hey guys, I just thought I should post this up here so I might save somebody from having a really unpleasant trip... If you are planning on bringing a camper on 79 Trail, you should reconsider. The road got so much use by the fire crews it is just ground to axle deep talcum powder.. I drive my work truck on it each morning and evening and fishtrail and spin out everyday. You really would not want to haul a camper down it, you will coat everything with that powdery gumbo dust and most likely get stuck to boot. And if we get ANY moisture, it will be even more of a quagmire than usual. Also, the portions of Swinging H deeded that are generally open in archery season are now closed due to fire danger.

Ben

Is this all of 79 Trail? We were planning on coming up Valentine road and hanging a right on 79 and finding a spot to set up the camper for a base camp.

mtmedic, 79 trail from the point that the gravel ends is a mess. It turns to a powder about the consistency of flour about axel deep at the first hill past Swinging H entrance. Hauling anything bigger than a very small trailer will be really tough. A 4x4 without trailer is ok but I personally would not haul a camper there until things get better. Good luck

mtmedic, 79 trail from the point that the gravel ends is a mess. It turns to a powder about the consistency of flour about axel deep at the first hill past Swinging H entrance. Hauling anything bigger than a very small trailer will be really tough. A 4x4 without trailer is ok but I personally would not haul a camper there until things get better. Good luck

Where does the gravel end? I am meeting guys there and have never been down this road.

mtmedic, gravel ends right about two and a half miles from where you turn east off of valentine rd onto 79 trail. There were a few guys drug their campers all the way back here to the Mussellshell but they were not real happy about it. Go slow and be careful, you should be alright as long as you don't have to large a rig.

He's lying. There isn't a cow trail in that country that aint fit for a dually power-stroke with Minnesota plates and a 26 foot fifth wheel.
Giver hell boys. And don't forget. Them elk love phelps bugles and face paint.

It all seriousness I am amazed every time I see a camper off the gravel in the breaks

One of the highlights of my trips is when I'm sitting on a tiny elk trail between ravines at first light watching elk go by while they are being followed by a hunter from Billings who just about steps on me and says, "how the heck did you get out here before me?" to which I reply, "I slept out here."

Good luck and I'll see you all soon in the woods!

This should be interested, given the onset precip now. I'll be heading up there tomorrow night. If any of you see a grey F-150 with ND plates the say BEAR2TH, stop and say hi. Chances are I'll be gone hunting, but getting taller with each step.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back