Caribou Gear

Athlon Scopes

rjthehunter

Let's hear some opinions on Athlon optics. Specifically the Ares 2.5-15. I found a sporting goods store that should have them in stock. Just have to get down there and check them out. Want to know if anyone has any experience with Athlon scopes in general. Seem to have a warranty similar to vortex which is a huge plus.

I have the Athlon Argos HMR 2-12x42mm BDC600A. I've been very happy with the clarity and overall scope. My budget is on the lower end so I don't have a lot to compare it too, but it's the clearest glass I've got.

So I have an Athlon Ares 15-45x65 spotter and it's overall, ok. I put it next to a buddies vortex spotter that cost probably 50% more and I couldn't tell a difference. I might replace it one day, but the glass isn't terrible for what I paid for it. And my eyes suck, but I've had friends spot deer from miles away with it.

As for rifle scopes and turrets, I have no experience and am interested to hear other opinions.

The reviews I've heard on Athlon in general have almost all been positive. There is the typical negative review that says something along the lines of "My sworo glass is better" well no shit. It also cost 3x as much. I was told it's comparable to Vortex at a better price. I want to upgrade scopes. I have a 5-20x50 Viper on my main hunting rifle right now, and while I haven't had any issues with it yet, it has non locking turrets, and starting at 5x zoom is less than ideal.

I bought the Athlon 65mm spotter this fall (from a well-known HTer) and so far, so good. Besides looking at the backyard and local mountain deer, I took it on a MT deer hunt earlier thjis month. Clarity was great, nice and light weight, and allowed me to see lots of details well into the approaching darkness. The real test will be when I draw my sheep tag(s) this fall ;).

They're from here in town and lots of people around here shoot with them with no complaints. I've never mounted one, but I've looked through plenty and they've been nice

I have a Gen 1 Ares 2.5-15. Glass isn't terrible...personally I prefer the Athlon over Vortex Viper line. Gen 1 had issues with soft clicks which supposedly updated in Gen2. Personally the crosshairs are too fine at 2.5x since it is a FFP scope. They have reticle illumination so that does help but quick shots usually don't allow for that. So far my Gen 1 tracks and returns to zero just have to be mindful that the soft clicks are easy to miss if you're counting. It was mounted on a 7Mag and now on a 6.5Grendel AR where it seems to strive. I'm considering the 4.5-27 for my Creedmoor Savage target gun...but for the same price I could get a 5-25x Burris XTRII so I'm not sure I know what to order. Having a US made Scope seems better right now.

I really like my Cronus 10x42 binos. They're a touch heavy but optically nice and for the price they live in my truck.

Last edited:
I also have the ares 15-45 × 60 spotting scope. Only optocs i have from athlon. I think its ok. Maybe a bad comparison but i think my Maven C1(thier lower end) binos have crisper and clearer glass, again maybe bad to compare a picture in a scope to picture in binos.

I have one of the mid tier Athlon scopes, can’t remember the model offhand. It’s a 4-14 with “Christmas Tree” reticle. Had it for about five years now and no complaints other than the turrets or a bit mushy. The glass is pretty clear but does have a bluish tent compared to my mid grade Vortex and Leupolds.

I just had a bunch of 8 x42 athlon binoculars donated to me to use for education programs at work. I haven’t even had a chance to look through them yet. I’ll report back.

I've got a FFP Helos 2-12. I really like it. Bit heavy but other than that it's great. The best "glass quality" in the world won't correct for poor mechanics and function in a rifle scope. So far mine perform mechanically, dial correctly, maintain zero, and the reticle is very useable even without illumination. Zero stop is absolutely bomber and the clicks are super positive and crisp. Glass is perfectly good, but I've got binoculars and spotting scopes I use for glassing. Glass quality in a rifle scope has never cost me an animal but mechanical failure in a rifle scope certainly has.

I've got a FFP Helos 2-12. I really like it. Bit heavy but other than that it's great. The best "glass quality" in the world won't correct for poor mechanics and function in a rifle scope. So far mine perform mechanically, dial correctly, maintain zero, and the reticle is very useable even without illumination. Zero stop is absolutely bomber and the clicks are super positive and crisp. Glass is perfectly good, but I've got binoculars and spotting scopes I use for glassing. Glass quality in a rifle scope has never cost me an animal but mechanical failure in a rifle scope certainly has.
That's my theory. I use my scope to make a shot, not to glass. Obviously decent glass is helpful, but you can go down a rabbit hole chasing the best glass. Reliable tracking, solid zero stop, and a good warranty with a solid build is most important to me. I like the 3-16 area for zoom. Enough to shoot further when desired, but I have no need for a 20x scope or more.

I have the ares btr and my brother has the ares etr. I think for hunting situations the etr is a little big. The btr is slightly smaller and has done everything I have asked, always dials correctly, returns to zero and I really enjoy the lighted reticle.

I have a midas tac 4-16 and it is my favorite scope. Its in mils mils and the adjustments/return to zero well. Tactile adjustments and easy zero stop adjustment. Ffp. I would buy another one.

I have an Argos HMR 2-12 on a CVA 35 Whelen and a Midas HMR HD 2.5-15 on my 6.5 Grendel AR-15. I like both of my Athlon scopes but the reason I own them is that I could not afford a higher end scope.
In my opinion they are feature rich for what you pay for them. But you still get what you pay for. From everything I read they have a good reputation for standing behind their product. Have not had to use their warranties myself.

Let's hear some opinions on Athlon optics. Specifically the Ares 2.5-15. I found a sporting goods store that should have them in stock. Just have to get down there and check them out. Want to know if anyone has any experience with Athlon scopes in general. Seem to have a warranty similar to vortex which is a huge plus.
Dollar for dollar you will get more bang for the buck over vortex. I would not doubt that most come from the same factory until you get to the very top tier of each line. Pm me if you want a price on that Ares

I have the Cronus Binos that I’ve been really happy with. I think I may go that direction with my next setup. Let me know what you think please!

I have an Athlon Argos BTR gen 2 I received as a gift. It works fine for plinking or using as a 100 yard spotter, but I'd never in a million years contemplate using it on a dedicated hunting rifle. There are plenty of other low end Chinese knock off junk scopes that would be much better than anything Athlon is providing. 20221128_193136.jpg

Back