At home Surgery

Jmnhunter

So my 10 year old lab has a small growth on his leg, first it was the size of a pimple, now it has doubled in size and I've noticed hes licking it more.

When I was at the vet this past spring, they said its nothing to worry about unless it starts bothering him. After a bird hunt, it gets pretty raw from rubbing against brush and grass.

Any of you guys just cut the damn thing off like that before? Or should I just tie a piece of fishing line around it for it to fall off?

First, if they didn't needle that growth and check it under a microscope, GET TO ANOTHER VET ASAP. My daughter fell for the "Oh, it's nothing" last year and within weeks my Lab Opal was terminally ill with mast cell cancer.

Don't do the home remedy route. Your dog is dependent on you. It would undoubtedly lay down its life for you. So lay down the dollars to have that thing removed properly.

Edit: I should add that the prognosis for mast cell cancer is good if it's diagnosed early. Do not delay!
Opal 2018.JPG

Last edited:
Just to give you an idea about how much I value my dogs, six years ago Pearl suddenly stumbled into the apple tree and couldn't walk straight trying to get back to the house. She had terminal brain cancer. The neurologist at U of Minnesota said take her home and let her die. She had something else in mind. After six months of chemo (much different than human chemo) Pearl became the only dog ever treated down there who recovered 100% (three others survived but not in good shape). The following year I almost lost her to auto immune disease. She fought that off for another great hunting season but kidney disease took her in March. All together her vet bills those last two years amounted to more than fifteen thousand dollars (US). Fortunately I can easily afford it, but I would have taken out a mortgage if needed. I still remember her last goose retrieve. Eleven geese lay on the water after the smoke cleared. Opal went out with her for the first ones but left the old dog to do the rest (I think some words were exchanged out there). Pearl was struggling but taking her time. On the second retreive she brought in two honkers at once! I have a photo of the two of us, me dressed in that pile of geese and bending over to give her a pat on the head. Ward snapped the picture just as she reached up to give me a kiss. The missing patches of hair on her legs for IVs are clearly visible. Sure, I could have bought a nice used pickup with that money. But I haven't seen one yet that will swim after my birds or give me a kiss. Anyway, that dog kept me alive after I lost my wife and son ten years ago. I owed her a lot more than that.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back