At home meat processing

LED lights above your work area is a nice addition also. That's more for my dad at this point but it is still nice to be able to see when you are doing.

I usually throw my moose quarters in 2 freezers because its so busy in September.
Then when hunting season is over with, I pull one quarter on Thursday to thaw and then Saturday
work on it on a basic kitchen table with a tarp underneath.
We have a huge industrial grinder and the biggest capacity sausage stuffer I could buy.
I don't grind shank meat...I use a recpricating saw to cut shank sections of osso buco.
Also fillet out the flatirons from the scapula for 2 more excellent grilled steaks.
This is one flatiron cut in half.
IMG_0014.JPG
I always wear a Rapala fillet glove in my non-cutting hand to prevent any knife cuts.

First advise. Knives get slippery. When one drops, don't grab it ! It's a natural instinct. My buddy tried it once.
We usually are doing moose. We made up over 500 pounds of processed meat from the last one. He was a big boy. Started out on the kitchen table n worked up. Found cutting boards n other tools at garage sales along the way. We buy 5# vacuum sealed pork suit for a 80-20 blend. We also buy 5# packages of bacon bits to make bacon burgers. And adding jhallipino peppers is nice n spicy. Spices tend to increase in flavor after they have been married for a while. We also purchase the spice bags for making 25 pound batches of brats, Italian sausages n such. It's great to make up your own recipes with your family n friends. Keep a frying pan handy n sample sample sample. You don't want 25 pounds of stuff. I know, we have 25 pounds of black bear brats that I forgot to add the moose meat into in the freezer now. Dried berries such as currents are tasty.
Tools don't replace experience so digging in n developing your style is one of the best parts. As stated keep your meat cold.
If it gets wet in the field as in falls in a pond or such process it as soon as possible don't hang it. Clean it n process it.
We have learned that a roll of grocery store produce bags work great to put meat into so it won't leak blood, food safe, strong n cheap. Lasts a long time. Then butcher paper. Generally good for a couple years. Keep your freezer cold. Near -20 is best.
At our cabin I insulated the generator shed. Now I have to install the air conditioner. Hoping it will act as a walk in cooler.
Of course the most important ingredient is the game meat. Good luck n take one make one if you get a chance

First advise. Knives get slippery. When one drops, don't grab it ! It's a natural instinct. My buddy tried it once.
We usually are doing moose. We made up over 500 pounds of processed meat from the last one. He was a big boy. Started out on the kitchen table n worked up. Found cutting boards n other tools at garage sales along the way. We buy 5# vacuum sealed pork suit for a 80-20 blend. We also buy 5# packages of bacon bits to make bacon burgers. And adding jhallipino peppers is nice n spicy. Spices tend to increase in flavor after they have been married for a while. We also purchase the spice bags for making 25 pound batches of brats, Italian sausages n such. It's great to make up your own recipes with your family n friends. Keep a frying pan handy n sample sample sample. You don't want 25 pounds of stuff. I know, we have 25 pounds of black bear brats that I forgot to add the moose meat into in the freezer now. Dried berries such as currents are tasty.
Tools don't replace experience so digging in n developing your style is one of the best parts. As stated keep your meat cold.
If it gets wet in the field as in falls in a pond or such process it as soon as possible don't hang it. Clean it n process it.
We have learned that a roll of grocery store produce bags work great to put meat into so it won't leak blood, food safe, strong n cheap. Lasts a long time. Then butcher paper. Generally good for a couple years. Keep your freezer cold. Near -20 is best.
At our cabin I insulated the generator shed. Now I have to install the air conditioner. Hoping it will act as a walk in cooler.
Of course the most important ingredient is the game meat. Good luck n take one make one if you get a chance
Get yourself a CoolBot for your AC unit

Cutting boards (large commercial ones), cut proof gloves, super sharp knives, bone saw, grinder, seal-meal, patty adapter for grinder and dehydrator is all I have and need. It does NOT need to be expensive or fancy. I reckon I spent $1500 total for all my butchering gear. Big thing is, don't buy cheap knives. I got the Outdoor Edge kit and love them. Get the ones with super hard and super sharp blades. I wear gloves on my free hand because I work super fast and just disposable ones on my knife hand so I don't have to keep cleaning my hands after each primal is completed.

Do you have a floor drain? Always thought if I do one in the garage like that I'd tin the walls and ceiling so that I could wash everything down with a hose.

Great idea, but skip the tin and glue FRP to the walls. Be sure you caulk the trim pieces to whatever they are adjoining. If you do tin you'll end up with condensation behind the tin, short jump from there to mold outbreak.

And a floor drain is the bee's knees.

I think it really depends on what you want do to. I don't make a lot of extra product stuff. A little fresh sausage (Italian, chorizo, brawts, and summer sausage and snack sticks. We just can't eat that much of it in a year. I make a lot of strip jerky and biltong which we eat a ton of. The rest is just burger, steaks and roasts. I don't make the sausage until the rest is all taken care of. I trim it up and package in 15lb packages and freeze for later.

I took a cheap 6ft folding table and added 12" of pvc to the legs to make it comfortable to stand and cut.
A quality vacuum packer, a couple good knives and a big grinder and you can take care of anything.

I'd suggest starting small. You might find you don't enjoy the amount of free time it requires. I used to also butcher my own game but I can't make sense of it when for 250 bucks an elk is packaged and ready to go. Still make jerky and snacks from roasts and that's where the savings really starts. Best of luck!

Invest in a good grinder and stuffer. Some easy to sharpen knives and decent size cutting boards. I started stuffing my grind and bulk sausages in tubes out of the grinder this year instead of vac packing. It has worked out great. I started with a 5 lb stuffer but I sprang for a LEM 15 lb this year. Much mo betta. 5 works great for the occasional special small runs thru the year so I keep it around. It actual worked just fine for larger runs but I got tired of reloading it. A few meat tubes are really nice as well for various things including cooling the meat in the freezer after you cut it up and are preparing to grind. I still vac pack my steaks chops and roasts.
I use my equipment thru the year for make non game pork sausages. I buy pork butts when they are on sale. They make pretty good sausage.

I've found there are as many styles of meat cutters as there are hunters. I've known folks who can debone, cut, and wrap an elk in a few hours. I'm not that guy. I utilize everything and I cut a little each night after work. I've got a process that works for me that minimizes the time I spend in cleanup. Cutting in several shorter sessions is easier on my back, as well.

To start, you need quality knives and the best grinder you can afford. I like a huge pile of knives so I don't lose time resharpening. I am always looking for high end knives at thrift shops. Heinkels, Cutco, etc. I have also acquired several stainless steel bowls the same way. I use the white vinyl cutting boards on the counter top. These are relatively cheap and expendable. They are easy to clean with white vinegar or bleach solution.

I have burned up a couple of cheap grinders.

Biggest thing you need is an open work space and a big table top work surface at the right height. All of the folding tables are at standard table height which is too low to stand up and work at. I built a 30" wide x 10' long tall height table for such with a plywood top. We simply cover it with clean plastic each use, then throw the plastic away when done.

Also need a way to chill your meat (without freezing) prior to butchering. Can be simple as quarters in a cooler of ice, a walk in cooler or hanging outdoors in proper temps.

Getting set up is usually a gradual process, unless you've got the cash on hand to splurge. First step is the space. Decide on a cool, clean area you are gonna work in. An uncooled garage or shop can work if you live in a cold, fly free environment. Even if temps are cold I suggest a fan to keep are circulating. A climate controlled, cold enclosed area is obviously best.
Next butchering table can be as simple as a plastic foldable table up, cardboard on top of kitchen table all the way to a stainless steel butcher table with a cutting board.
A good boning knife is pretty inexpensive and you can get by with kitchen knives for everything else, but a good dedicated butcher set is nice.
Have a plan for hanging/aging. This can be from a garage rafter, coolers, old fridge to climate controlled walk in.
You're biggest expense will likely be a grinder, as stated above you get what you pay for. I got my hands on a used Hobart commercial grinder that's probably 40 or 50 years old, the difference between this and the $99 one I started with is similar to towing between a Ford Ranger and 2500 Diesel.
Next is a stuffer, small ones work fine but you pay for size. I suggest minimum of three pounds. Food grade totes or buckets with covers.
Other considerations are access to sink and water for keeping things clean, storage, and refrigeration. Keeping all activity and not going from one space to another is great for time saving and food safety.

We are looking at getting a grinder not only for processing game but for grinding chicken/Turkey thighs for cat food.

We are considering the 1hp cabelas model but am open to suggestions

Thanks

I have knives, cutting boards, grinder that I traded butcher services for, 5lb sausage stuffer, bone saw, and a food saver. the food saver is the best purchase of all items. it stays on the counter year round and my wife buys bulk packages of chicken that I break down to meal size portions. we use it almost weekly. don't forget it's handy for non food items too. first aid kit comes to mind.

Great idea, but skip the tin and glue FRP to the walls. Be sure you caulk the trim pieces to whatever they are adjoining. If you do tin you'll end up with condensation behind the tin, short jump from there to mold outbreak.

And a floor drain is the bee's knees.
What is FRP?

Fiberglass reinforced plywood or fiberglass reinforced plastic, FRP works great as wall panels as you can spray and wipe it down easy with cleaners and disinfectants. Works good in bathrooms too for industrial type applications (wife said no inside the house lol).

We added a 16x50 third stall to the garage with a utility sink and tables for meat/fish processing. I did FRP around the whole thing 4' up, and 6' up behind the sink. So glad I did that. Install wasn't too terrible. Dad and I were first timers and did it all in one long hot day. Marking the heights with a laser level kept my OCD in check!

If you go the FRP route, we found it helpful to block/wedge under the corners of the sheets to keep them from sagging as the glue set up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back