Asking for Rio

Dunno Hank. I had a 50 lb. Australian Shepherd that crawled under the bed at the sound of thunder while my 6 lb. Maltese sleeps through it. One of life's mysteries, I guess.

Yep. Some dogs don't care and some go nuts. I've had hunting dogs who freak in thunder storms but are okay with fireworks and others vice versa. And a few who were unaffected by both. All loved the sound of gunfire. Hmmm. The late great Opal was not crazy about going to the trap range. She went along but usually wouldn't get out of the Jimmy with other two dogs for a romp, pee, and meet & greet after the shooting. She loved to hunt but I guess the range was just too much noise. They are all different. We had a family pet once that would panic every time the vehicle went over a bridge. Ya just never know.

Each dog is different, but they hear a wider range of noise, so my gut tells me they are more sensitive to amplitude as well.

Add in the fact that they don't understand a lot about the world, so a loud thunder would be a shock with no explanation. Some dogs will ignore it and go on their marry way, others will cower and seek cover and safety.

I use a fan to create white noise when a big storm is coming through. That plus the dog sleeps in the basement, results in a much calmer dog during storms.

Some dogs can read minds too. If I THINK about taking them for a walk, Ellie will be all over me (there, it just happened again!). My first Lab knew when I was thinking about quitting for the day. She'd then run down to the water and wait for me to release her to pick up the decoys. Amazing. Ellie's predecessor Pearl knew when I was spiraling out of control after losing my wife and son. Wherever she was, even down in the basement, she'd come find me and herd me to the couch, crawl in my lap, and vigorously lick the tears away. How do they know? ESP? And we think we're the superior beings! Pfft.

Mine gets really excited at the report of a shotgun, thunder not so much.
It dosen't really freak him out, but at the report of thunder he's for sure head up and "what's that look "!

Yeah, Ellie and Puppy don't like thunder but it doesn't make them panic like some dogs.

All I know is that dogs and Vietnam Vets hate fireworks!
Truth! the 4th is brutal for my dog. Bottle rockets are the worst with the high pitch screech. I end up having to stand guard while the dog goes to the bathroom, or else he'll hold it until there's an accident inside....

Some dogs can read minds too. If I THINK about taking them for a walk, Ellie will be all over me (there, it just happened again!). My first Lab knew when I was thinking about quitting for the day. She'd then run down to the water and wait for me to release her to pick up the decoys. Amazing. Ellie's predecessor Pearl knew when I was spiraling out of control after losing my wife and son. Wherever she was, even down in the basement, she'd come find me and herd me to the couch, crawl in my lap, and vigorously lick the tears away. How do they know? ESP? And we think we're the superior beings! Pfft.
Sounds like you've had some real good pups.

No idea, but so many dogs are terrified of it. I distinctly remember the first storm with Reese when she was a pup. She was obviously nervous about the thunder, so we took her out in the driveway and wrestled/played with her. Figured if they can learn to associate gunshots with fun, thunder would be no different. She’s never paid it any mind since.

Not sure if it’s the sound or some other feeling they get from it, but I imagine it’s very hard to overcome for an older dog. The white noise idea might be helpful.

All I know is that dogs and Vietnam Vets hate fireworks!
Sympathetic sympathy? I never did like them after 1974...

Rio just slinks off to his bed in the bedroom.
He can hear me open the fridge, open any ziplock, cheese or bacon package, chip bags. Through the thunder. LOL

My dog gets a little worked up when the thunder first starts, but man my fiancees dog has full blown anxiety attacks.

But weirdly, neither one of my cats reacts to thunder. I don't know if they can't hear it or they're stupid or what but it doesn't even register with them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back