Ashland Custer national forest cow tag

east 406

This year I drew a cow elk tag for the region around the custer national forest around Ashland, MT. This summer/fall with the whole covid deal going on I got screwed into a weird work schedule and didn't end up getting the time I wanted to spend down there. I still have one weekend planned for scouting in two weekends from now for my hunt. I am wondering if someone on here has any experience with that area and could give me some hints as to where to start scouting. I will have 2 or possibly 3 days down there and will be hunting for pretty much the whole last week of season until I fill the tag. I am super excited about this hunt but am struggling with scouting online and was wondering if anyone could help out a little.

Lots of fires down in the area, it's bound to shake a few things up for sure. Unless your dead set on getting one on public you might ask for some permission. I can't imagine with how shitting the conditions are in the drought that landowners are gonna want elk hanging around their place with the minimal grass.... later might be better to.

Watch Randy’s escouting series on YouTube and build a huntplan of options a-e

Guess I should've thought about the private vs public only side of the cow tag. In that case I'm going with @brockel on this one. Good luck.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back