PEAX Equipment

Arrowhead Outfitters of AK????

diem24

Anyone ever gone with Arrowhead Outfitters in AK? Thinking very seriously of doing a cheap, black bear hunt w my dad w these guys. They essentially dump us off and let ya hunt for a week and then come pick us up. But any experience w them will help. Thanks, Nik

Depending on the shape you and your Dad are in, might not need to pay for the outfitter. Lots of black bears in Alaska, plenty can be reached off the road system if you're willing to hike a little.

I have used Arrowhead oufitters on 3 differnet occasions. Howard and Deb work hard to take care of their hunters needs, Howard is one of the best bush pilots I have ever flown with. I have trusted him flying myself and my children on our family hunting adventures. We have hunted Moose, Caribou and Dall Sheep. Never been disapointed yet.

Self guided Moose & Caribou Brooks Range

Does Arrowhead do float hunts? Those of you experienced in Moose / Caribou hunting in Alaska........What is a better hunt??? River float or ridge top? Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated...

I don't know if Arrowhead Outfitters does float hunts or not. Regarding your other question as to what is better for moose and caribou, there is no correct answer. It depends on the area, the situation, what your preferences are, etc. I've done a number of float hunts and love 'em. However, float hunting adds logistical challenges, creates extra work (setting up and breaking down camp every time you change location), and can add to the expense of the trip. But it also provides the advantage of changing location and seeing a different area. Even guys who float hunt tend to agree, you'll have better success if you stay put and hunt an area thoroughly. If you change locations, get to your next area quickly and spend time hunting. Generally, if you're spending all your time in the raft your success is going to suffer. Getting lucky and seeing a moose on the river bank as you float by is very much the exception, not the norm. Of all the animals I've harvested on a float hunt, only one was spotted while I was actually in the raft.

Does Arrowhead do float hunts? Those of you experienced in Moose / Caribou hunting in Alaska........What is a better hunt??? River float or ridge top? Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated...

The other big challenge with Alaska float hunts is the weather - if you get a really rainy season, some of the rivers typically floated can get pretty dangerous, and a lot of "normal year" camping spots might be under water. On the other hand, in a dry year on a smaller river you might find yourself doing a lot more "dragging" than floating. It's a good hunt and a great way to see Alaska, but it can be tough for a first-timer.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

I haven't used Arrowhead before, but I've done a few Alaska hunts and one was a float trip... It's a good way to cover a lot of ground, but I'd rather do a fixed camp hunt in an area with a high population of the game that I'm after. We spent a lot of time setting up camp, tearing down camp, building meat racks, washing out rafts and moving meat/gear around. If you decide to do a float, then limit the total distance you travel so you can focus on hunting and not worry about how many miles you need cover each day or so to make it to your pick up point. We haven't intentionally/solely hunted for bears, but we tend to encounter them on most of our moose or caribou trips.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back