Arrow weight

CHILEAN-HUNTER

i know everyone shoots a set up custom to their liking. This is probably one of those questions that starts the third world war but is a lighter arrow better??

my set up is: Fred Bear instinct at 65 # , 26 inch draw, arrows are carbon express Maxima
250, 7.3 GPI, length of arrow is 27.5 inches tipped with 100g and with 13 g Easton lighted nock. total weight + - 314 grains (only if my calculations are correct!!)

they perform very well but they are pricey and nowadays pricey means its harder to pay for the gas to go hunt!!

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
You are probably going to be closer to 350 grains or so grains by the time you add in the inserts and fletching.

Not sure the exact questions but as you go lighter on arrows you will lose KE faster down range than with a heavier arrow. The key is to find a good mix of speed and downrange energy. With a 26 inch draw you will have a little tougher time getting the a ton of speed.

Most of the time if you go with cheaper arrows you will lose straightness tolerances. If they shoot well and you are accurate with them I would stick with them.

Just make sure you have enough kentic energy to do the job for what you are hunting.

On a side note: I shoot gold tips.

I'm shooting a Gold Tip Lazar 2 ...22" arrow [bolt] that is 365 gr with a 110gr brass insert and Slick Trick 125 gr, I like heavy front end for maxium punch power at 25 yards or less.

you're right i forgot about the fletching and inserts!!!

UPPER DECK and SWEETNECTAR thanks, i was starting to doubt myself, weather it was worth the money i spend for the arrows i now use or get cheaper and heavier arrows.

the kinetic energy is more than ample and they perform well in all areas i have the speed and accuracy i want , i must learn not to get side tracked by the local archery shop!!!!!!

Lighter isn't better from my personal point of view because I believe that mass is paramount. I keep my shots under 20 yards and to that distance trajectory isn't an issue; 650 grain arrows; 62# of draw weight; 66" longbow.

well so far so good all the animals i have shot have had complete pass through arrows. in particular one that was quartering away at 30 yards, the arrow hit nothing but bone, vitals and then dirt.

I have only been using archery equipment for three years so lots of questions in my mind, but for the most part its figured out thanks to people like you snapshot. my hats off to all those that hunt more traditional maybe i too will grow the testicular girth needed for that one day!!!!

by the way are you going to put cow-catchers on your arrows?? No offense but they seem like they would pack a good wallop!!!!!

I like to shoot about 6 grains per pound of draw weight(minimum). Most companies say 5 grains per pound, below that you might possibly have limb failure.

LOL my excal is a #200 so 1200 grain arrow would be needed LOL

One other thing about arrows ; do you like feathers or vain. feathers are more forgiving if tipped and with a heavy head less movement with tipped.

C-H,
Testicular girth isn't a prerequisite. What I have is an overbearing desire to keep the archery hunting experience completely enjoyable; and for me a very large part of that is keeping it simple. If while out hunting I had to fuss with more than touching up broadheads (and occassionally replacing a bowstring) it would take away from the experience. Getting super close to wild animals is tough enough; I don't want the added challenge of equipment failures, misalignments or whatever else can go wrong with complex gear. Life is too short.

i personally like vanes. feathers are a lil more accurate, however, they arent so great when they are wet. if you hunt in a dry climate then it probably wouldnt be an issue for you. i really like one of the comments above. my family and i have owned and worked in an archery pro shop for over 20 years and the biggest thing i tried to teach folks is that speed isnt everything. we cant dry fire our bows right? well, when you crank your bow up to 70 pounds, put an overdraw rest on, and cut your arrow down to the minimum length, and shoot 75 grain field points your basically dry firing your bow. it definetly needs resistence. i would give up speed for quiet anyday! just one guys opinion,

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back