Arizona unit 6A

Brohime

As you may know archery deer opened on Friday. I fought the crowd to hit the woods in the unit I love. My plans were spoiled when the rain came on Thursday:BLEEP: They are also doing a BIG controlled burn around the Stoneman Lake area. Saw some deer, one 4x5 bull, and a huge bobcat. Just a heads up to all that drew tags in the area, the burn seems to have ran some of the game off but not all. Sorry to bring the bad news, good luck to all.

Thats only a very small area in 6A, There are lots of great areas still. I hope we get some good monson rain seams a bit dry for this late in the summer, seems the rain is spotty to say the least.

I saw those burns on my way north of Flagstaff. Didn't look like the area was too big, though.

Saw some nice bulls up in the spot I was hunting. A couple 6s, a 5, a raghorn and spike came hauling elk past my bivy while I was eating oatmeal late morning. Fat and happy. Also, no velvet. Same with the 5x6 I watched walk by at 40 yards, broadside, in the deep timber.

Mule deer were still in velvet but not the elk. Looks like they've had more rain this year (in unit 7) than last. I got soaked up at 10,000 feet. Still won't be enough rain in this state for many, many years even if it rained every day.

I saw those burns on my way north of Flagstaff. Didn't look like the area was too big, though.

Saw some nice bulls up in the spot I was hunting. A couple 6s, a 5, a raghorn and spike came hauling elk past my bivy while I was eating oatmeal late morning. Fat and happy. Also, no velvet. Same with the 5x6 I watched walk by at 40 yards, broadside, in the deep timber.

Mule deer were still in velvet but not the elk. Looks like they've had more rain this year (in unit 7) than last. I got soaked up at 10,000 feet. Still won't be enough rain in this state for many, many years even if it rained every day.

So 6 isn't getting the mosoons, like it looks like they are? Looking at the NOAA everyday like a kid at Christmas...:D The 9th is just around the corner now....

I have no idea if 6A is getting rain or if it's all being hogged up north in Flagstaff, unit 7. It (6A) did look dry when I drove by it this weekend. The monsoon, from what I have seen, has been sporadic and a disappointment this year.

I can tell you there will be plenty of elk in 6A, 'managed' fires or not, on the 9th of September. There are a lot of roads in there (same as every unit in AZ) but if you can find some space away from vehicles, you'll find elk in there.

Best of luck on your hunt. I'm jealous. I love 6A.

So 6 isn't getting the mosoons, like it looks like they are? Looking at the NOAA everyday like a kid at Christmas...:D The 9th is just around the corner now....

6A is getting plenty of the Monsoon rain. The elk look healthy and the antler growth in 6A appears to be a little better than average.

I will post a 6A precipitation map for the past 60 days, when I get a spare moment. It's a pretty sweet way to answer those questions.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back