Arizona Elk Scouting Trip

So this spring I got lucky and drew a late rifle AZ elk tag for unit 8. This will be my second ever elk hunt after hunting a leftover CO elk muzzleloader hunter last fall that was unsuccessful. I am determine to turn things around with this so I planned to take at least one scouting even if it was a few months out. This is entire new terrain to me and I’ve never even laid foot in the state.

hfy3bAzl.jpg

Last weekend, I flew to PHX from MDW after work on Friday, met a friend and we drove north a few hours north where we stayed in Cottonwood. We got up early and drove Perkinsville road into the south of the unit and eventually up above the Mogollon Rim. It didn’t register with me that Archery Deer opened that Saturday and lots of guys were glassing for deer in 19A from the roads and 8 seemed just be full of UTV’s packed full of wandering bowhunters in the pine flats. We eventually got off on a 4x4 road with our 2wd rental truck and had to stop short of our trailhead a mile because of mud holes and rutted roads. I will definitely be doing every to get a 4x4 rental in December from Enterprise.

vDiYw3dl.jpg

The goal was to learn the terrain and figure out how bad it is to go into and out of Sycamore Canyon and how long the trip takes (with light packs and daylight). I certainly like roadless areas, but I also wanted to know what the worst spots looked like in the unit and to work back from there. We got into fresh elk sign pretty quickly once getting a little ways off of the road. Lots of fresh tracks and droppings and heavy use around the tanks. Feed was certainly very dispersed throughout the pine flats after the summer rain and visibility was rarely more than 100 yards unless you were on a cliff rim.

HxjdHYPl.jpg

We did the sycamore canyon hike,and it was obvious that you are committing to a full day once you go over the rim.

jjt2m2pl.jpg

PgFiltll.jpg

In the late afternoon we looped around the higher elevation areas and found tons of people in campsites and driving around in trucks and ATV’s. We took a shorter hike to checkout some of the pockets that will likely hold elk in December by most accounts and they seemed a lot more reasonable to hunt with only a few hundred feet of elevation gain rather than over a thousand feet.

HC7XdP2l.jpg

For those familiar with the area, does anyone have a good indicator of snow that would push the elk down into the canyons and pockets from higher up? The Williams, AZ weather station KAZWILLI8 seems to be the nearest thing I could find to watch in November.

I definitely plan to try and get away from roads and glass a lot in December, but I would love any other advice people have for this area.

don't know the unit but i know in 6B which is the bordering unit people hunt mostly sycamore in the late hunt, i know guys glass form the opposite side and communicate with radios, the only thing is if you shoot one in the canyon is a bitch to get it out, Sycamore is the second larges canyon in arizona, hope it helps, good luck
also if you are going to glass a tripod is good to have a lot better glassing and no movement on the binos.

I have heard guys hunt like that but I have no intention of being guided in by radio, I know it's legal but it is not my style.

Very cool. Thanks for posting. Did you end up seeing any elk? Good luck out there, I put in for 8 late but have so far been unsuccessful in the draw.

Lived in Az 28 years. Great state. I've hunted unit 8 several times for elk and deer. I always entered from the north end off of I-40. Don't go without the 4x4 next time. Weather can be iffy. I can tell you there could be snow or rains but it will be cold and night. I've experienced 0 temps overnight. Unit 8 does have nice bulls roaming around but it will be tough. Sycamore canyon may be a place they drop into if snow pushes them. Wishing you success and safety.

I didn't end up seeing any elk on this trip, but I didn't really glass for very much time in places they might be midday when it was 90 degrees outside.

We are staying in Williams so we will be coming in from the I-40 side. The real benefit of this trip was the logistics of getting around the unit which will save time during the actual hunt.

Folks....I don't want to hijack this thread but want to pose a newbie question because I will be in same neighborhood.
My friend drew a AZ Zone 7 Bull Tag for Dec 1st week.
I am accompanying on the hunt with 2 others who have a cabin up there were we will base from.
As of today I have gotten new Kenetrek hikers ( currently breaking in very stiff ), frame pack will order next week.
Plane ticket next week.
Razor HD's & tripod week Oct 1 ( payday).

Can someone please tell me what they think I (need) for outerwear top / bottom during the walking / hunting hours in the likely conditions?
I don't want to skimp somewhere that will ruin the trip or worse expose me or the group, but it adds up very quickly.
All of my Eastern hunting clothing is not really built for this type of hiking and hunting.

Thank you all in advance,

10Dogs

( acherenio)

We will be in 7 West.
In my mind I see us needing to add or remove layers when we are glassing or walking?
I was told to expect snow, is wool the way to go or should i look to something like synthetic?

i had a 4b late hunt years ago and i used wool, in the morning in the dark was great but later in the day it was to warm, now i use kuiu and layer, it is lite and if you take it off it fits in your pack easily, in arizona it is really cold early but then thetemps go up to 55 or 60 and then you are too hot, the best is layers, light, that is what i do in january during archery season.
good luck that is a really nice tag.

I had this hunt last year. It was very cold at night and in the early a.m. so layer up and wear good boots. During last years season it snowed almost every day so by 2pm glassing was almost impossible. If you plan on hunting the areas that you are talking about you WILL need a 4X4 if it is like last year. The photo that you posted of the road does NOT get near what it looks like after several days of cycling through snow then melt/freeze then snow again. What I learned; Folks don't pay much attention to which roads are closed and which ones are open so look for areas w/ NO roads into or around it. Wear some form of hunter orange ( as much as possible) as there are a LOT of people and it is thick. If you see a bull, get on him as quick as possible as we had people shoot overtop of us at a bull that was on the adjacent canyon rim. We were sitting at 800 yards trying to figure a game plan when people behind us by at least 200 yards shot over us 5 times.
We saw fresh elk sign every day and did see two bulls so I will not complain about the zone. Will put in for it again ! I have photos of the area when we were there if you would like to see them. PM me and I will get them to you.

Unit 8 has some good bulls. Unless there is a ton of snow, I would hunt up high around Williams to the east. A lot of hunters are usually around Bill Williams mtn. Wear at least 400G boots, layer with waterproof clothing and bring a sled to haul out your elk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back