Area 324 - Montana Elk

jore07

Hey guys, I hope everyone's season is going well so far! Looks like we will be in for a big weather change coming late this week for much of the state. Hopefully it will get these fires slowed down some and allow the firefighters some breathing room.

Anyway, I was just wondering if any of you have had the opportunity be in Montana - HD 324 this year? My buddy and I are heading up Saturday (9/24) to get camp set up and be ready to put some boots on the ground and chase some elk for the following 7 days. It has been a few years since either of us hunted this unit so I was hoping to get some advice from folks that have had some recent experiences. I am not looking for any spot information or anything of that nature as we are familiar with the area (just been a few years). More curious about any recent insight from folk that have been around that country lately. How's the elk activity, seeing/hearing signs of rut getting fired up? Bear activity? Or any other pertinent information you think might be helpful.

Thank you in advance for any advice / help!!!

Lots of people

Interesting comment since, according to the Montana FWP, the numbers work out to be an average of 172.5 acres per hunter for 324 which means that 324 has about 13 times more acreage per hunter than where I hunt and I rarely see any other hunter when I'm out hunting. I guess it depends upon where in the hunt area you concentrate your efforts, if you stick to the easy terrain you'll see a lot more hunters.

Interesting comment since, according to the Montana FWP, the numbers work out to be an average of 172.5 acres per hunter for 324 which means that 324 has about 13 times more acreage per hunter than where I hunt and I rarely see any other hunter when I'm out hunting. I guess it depends upon where in the hunt area you concentrate your efforts, if you stick to the easy terrain you'll see a lot more hunters.

Bear in mind, not all acreage is elk country.

I've spent a few days down there. There's a crazy amount of people down there right now. We've been running into people everywhere, even 5 or more miles in. The bear activity seems to be worse than in the past. Everyone has heard about the guy who got attacked last week, but we ran into a biologist who was putting out a trap. Apparently there's a grizzly that's been stalking hunters down there. Hopefully the weather gets the elk going because the hunting has been really tough.

I can't imagine hunting an area that has a hunter every 173 acres. As TJones alluded to, just imagine the density of hunters in areas where there are elk...

I've spent a few days down there. There's a crazy amount of people down there right now. We've been running into people everywhere, even 5 or more miles in. The bear activity seems to be worse than in the past. Everyone has heard about the guy who got attacked last week, but we ran into a biologist who was putting out a trap. Apparently there's a grizzly that's been stalking hunters down there. Hopefully the weather gets the elk going because the hunting has been really tough.

Yeah it definitely seems that the bear focus is more this year. I hope the weather creates some change in the elk activity. Sounds like its been a little slow then eh? I am maybe hoping some of the weather will lower some of the people as well, but i'm not planning on that. Does it seem like more people than previous years? Just hoping we can get out there and hear, then see some elk. Thanks for the advice/help.

FWP has accurate numbers of hunters per unit? Thats funny...

Used to be a few pockets in there that didn't have many/any people, but its been a decade since I hunted there.

Good luck!

Yeah it definitely seems that the bear focus is more this year. I hope the weather creates some change in the elk activity. Sounds like its been a little slow then eh? I am maybe hoping some of the weather will lower some of the people as well, but i'm not planning on that. Does it seem like more people than previous years? Just hoping we can get out there and hear, then see some elk. Thanks for the advice/help.

We heard a few bugles just after daylight and just before dark. Not a lot in between. This is my first year to hunt there. I've hunted the eastern side of the Gravellys in the past. I was trying to find a spot with less pressure. This is not it. Multiple trucks, campers, and side by sides at every trailhead and camping spot. I met 3 more rigs coming in on my way out yesterday. We found out that one of the outfitters has 18 guided hunters this week and others that are just paying to stay at their cabins. The elk there, they are just pressured...good luck.

We heard a few bugles just after daylight and just before dark. Not a lot in between. This is my first year to hunt there. I've hunted the eastern side of the Gravellys in the past. I was trying to find a spot with less pressure. This is not it. Multiple trucks, campers, and side by sides at every trailhead and camping spot. I met 3 more rigs coming in on my way out yesterday. We found out that one of the outfitters has 18 guided hunters this week and others that are just paying to stay at their cabins. The elk there, they are just pressured...good luck.

Thanks, I really appreciate the information!!! Sounds really busy. I guess we will see when we get there. At least we'll be out hunting, that is way better than sitting here at work thinking about it! Thanks again for taking some time and providing me some insight to your experiences.

Bear in mind, not all acreage is elk country.

Are you familiar with that area? I ask only because if you look at a map, including ownership information, almost the whole area is the Beaverhead National Forest or wildlife management land encumpasing the Snowcrest Range. I'm wondering what kind of acreage in the Snowcrest wouldn't be elk country.

If like most other hunters, you tend to stick to roads and never hike in then I'd suspect that you'll see a lot of hunters. All I can say is that 324 has 20% less land area and 40% fewer hunters than my area and I don't have a problem with crowds, maybe I'm just lucky and find the spots where other hunters don't go...or maybe I just hunt further away from the heavily used roads and such.

I've already posted this on a separate thread during the summer, but I thought I would bring it up again now that the season is here. My dad has a moose permit for this unit, if anyone sees any nice bulls we would really appreciate any leads! Good luck out there.

Are you familiar with that area? I ask only because if you look at a map, including ownership information, almost the whole area is the Beaverhead National Forest or wildlife management land encumpasing the Snowcrest Range. I'm wondering what kind of acreage in the Snowcrest wouldn't be elk country.

Very, I live in Dillon. Ive hunted the Gravellys for over 15 yrs. Like Miller mentioned, not all of this country is elk country or at least country that u will be bow hunting in. A large portion is open sage country. Not saying there couldn't be elk out in the open, but with the traffic they most likely will be running through this. So, the hunters get concentrated in the timber. Its not impossible to get away from hunters somewhat. But its very difficult to do so. Between the atvs, bivy camps, horse camps and outfitters, Id wager u don't have 172 acres /hunter after u subtract the miles of wide open country etc that aren't in fact bowhunting country. Having said the above, theres a lot of elk and a lot of them get killed.

Last edited:
If like most other hunters, you tend to stick to roads and never hike in then I'd suspect that you'll see a lot of hunters. All I can say is that 324 has 20% less land area and 40% fewer hunters than my area and I don't have a problem with crowds, maybe I'm just lucky and find the spots where other hunters don't go...or maybe I just hunt further away from the heavily used roads and such.

Have you ever hunted the unit in question or are you just guessing based off internet stats?

I guess living in Alaska gives you access to better information?

Based on his entire comment I'd venture to guess that he has more knowledge of the area than you. Using FWP stats on hunter numbers is laughable....the check station was only open 1 day that I went through last year. I had over 25 days in the unit....

Very, I live in Dillon. Ive hunted the Gravellys for over 15 yrs. Like Miller mentioned, not all of this country is elk country or at least country that u will be bow hunting in. A large portion is open sage country. Not saying there couldn't be elk out in the open, but with the traffic they most likely will be running through this. So, the hunters get concentrated in the timber. Its not impossible to get away from hunters somewhat. But its very difficult to do so. Between the atvs, bivy camps, horse camps and outfitters, Id wager u don't have 172 acres /hunter after u subtract the miles of wide open country etc that aren't in fact bowhunting country. Having said the above, theres a lot of elk and a lot of them get killed.

Then you've got me beat, you definately know the area better than I do but I think that some of the issue is still perception rather than reality.

We all know that quite often people will say that there are no elk in an area when the fact is that there are but the observer simply hasn't figured out where they are or when/how to intercept them. You mention sage country as not being elk country, after living a good portion of my life in Arizona I can say that sage country definately will hold elk, you just have to appreciate the "micro terrain" (little rises and depressions) where they can lay or walk. It's amazing how well an elk can ghost his way across flat, open country without you ever noticing them. Elk will both graze and browse depending on the time of year and the availability of food so sage doesn't automatically mean that elk wont go there for a day bed. If the temperatures are low enough and the security is good then I'd bet that you'll find elk there. Admitedly, the majority of elk aren't going to choose sage when there is good grass, water, or security in the trees but if everybody is concentrated in the foothills and forests then I'd bet that security needs will push some of them toward the sage more than people might realize. Over the years I've found that quite often elk are exactly where you don't think they are and if you are in elk country then there are elk on almost every ridge line and mountain, it's just a matter of figuring out where they are and deciding if you can or want to get in to where they are. I know that most people will say that you need to be at least 1 or 2 miles from the nearest roads but I can't help but believe that there are lots of elk within a quarter mile of the roads and people just walk past them on their way in to that magic 2 mile barrier. I live on the edge of national forest here in Montana and I spend lots of time walking the area (I'm semi-retired and have lots of free time), and I can honestly say that I see more elk toward the bottoms of creek beds than I do at the tops of the mountains. Yes, I see more bulls toward the tops in the middle of the day but in the mornings but in the right spots, I see those bulls while they are sneaking their way up from the creeks toward their day beds.

The bottom line is that we know that the elk are in the area, we also know that elk will avoid heavily used roads, and you guys say that there are a lot of hunters there, so that means that the elk are going where there are less hunters and less traffic. It seems to me that either you have to hunt smarter or move to another area.

Last edited:
Based on his entire comment I'd venture to guess that he has more knowledge of the area than you. Using FWP stats on hunter numbers is laughable....the check station was only open 1 day that I went through last year. I had over 25 days in the unit....

I suspect that you're wrong. The numbers of hunters aren't calculated based on what they see at a check station, it's based upon the number of licenses and permits for that area. The guy said that it's been a decade since he hunted there, using a just a little common sense it's fairly easy to come to the conclusion that a guy who lives in Alaska, who hasn't been in the area for at least 10 years, and who probably only spent a few days in the area when he was there 10 years ago, would have next to no idea whatsoever what it's like right now.

I don't know why you want to start using rude innuendos, I simply said I don't see how the area could be so crowded considering the size of it and the number of legal hunters. After a few comments I'm getting the idea though, if everybody assumes that you can't hunt elk in the flat lands then I can see how the hunters are all going to the same access points.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back