Area 324 - Montana Elk

I am guessing it's pretty much its own resident herd on Turners ranch. There can be quite a few elk on the south end of the Snowcrests in archery season, but they do get pressured and rattled around a bit.

Theres always a few on the Turners Ruby Ranch but numbers pick up from Sept on. I don't doubt hunting pressure pushes more than a couple out of the hills onto the ranch. They don't really get messed with much till rifle.

Montana statistics and hunters number statistics aren't worth the paper they're printed on. When you can hunt 7/8 of the state for over 3 months there's no way you can get an accurate picture! The hunter surveys are also a joke, as I've hunted Montana every year since 1994 and I've been called 7 of the last 23 years!

Really? huh, I would wager Ive been called just about every yr Ive lived here, they have called about my son the last 3 yrs too....maybe im on a list.

Have you ever been surveyed by FWP? I've been called probably 5-6 times, they ask you what unit you hunted elk (or deer), the most. Since you can hunt 3/4 the state on an OTC tag, how do you think they come up with accurate hunter numbers per unit? Are the totals per season, or week? Their hunter numbers are no closer than their game population numbers.

Really the only information a guy needs is boots on the ground. How did we make it before FWP had a fancy website?

huh, they always ask me what units I hunted for each species..elk, deer etc, how many days I hunted each unit, if I was successful, how many days I hunted in the unit I was successful, did I see a wolf, sometimes ask did I see a moose.

huh, they always ask me what units I hunted for each species..elk, deer etc, how many days I hunted each unit, if I was successful, how many days I hunted in the unit I was successful, did I see a wolf, sometimes ask did I see a moose.

Me too however lately I haven't been getting those calls...probably because I'm always so unsuccessful :rolleyes:

I suspect that you're wrong. The numbers of hunters aren't calculated based on what they see at a check station, it's based upon the number of licenses and permits for that area.

Since you seem to enjoy giving everyone on this thread a hard time, have you read the MT regs? Unit 324 doesn't require a permit to hunt elk, similar to 3/4 of the units in the state and the random hunter surveys they do are incredibly limited. About all the hunter numbers are good for is determining if a unit seems popular or not and one would be a fool if they said 324 was not a very popular unit.

Since you seem to enjoy giving everyone on this thread a hard time, have you read the MT regs? Unit 324 doesn't require a permit to hunt elk, similar to 3/4 of the units in the state and the random hunter surveys they do are incredibly limited. About all the hunter numbers are good for is determining if a unit seems popular or not and one would be a fool if they said 324 was not a very popular unit.

Really? how limited??? what % of the hunters are called? the term "incredibly limited" seems "incredibly" uninformed ....actually FWP attempts to contact about 40% of deer/elk hunters, 100% of the big three.

Really? how limited???

I can't comment about what percentage of hunters FWP gets in contact with, I personally always try to make sure I connect with a FWP agent if I miss them and they leave a message. When saying "incredibly limited," I was referring mainly to the scope of the questions, but also what kind of assumptions you can make using the data. When called I'm typically asked which unit I hunted the most and how many days. I might say unit 319 and 8 days because I hunted there after work every day in archery season but I went to three other units on weekends and ultimately connected on a bull in 340 with a rifle after 1 day of hunting on the last weekend of the season. This granularity is not captured in the survey. Further, given that it's not a complete survey of all hunters all resulting data is extrapolated and the whole process relies on hunters being truthful and on their memories being accurate.

Don't get me wrong the surveys are a great management and planning tool, but as it relates to this thread on Elk in unit 324, not on the big three, you can't use the data to tell you exactly how busy any given area of a huge unit is going to be on an particular day during a season. What you can say is that compared to other units 324 has lots of pressure.

Don't get me wrong the surveys are a great management and planning tool, but as it relates to this thread on Elk in unit 324, not on the big three, you can't use the data to tell you exactly how busy any given area of a huge unit is going to be on an particular day during a season. What you can say is that compared to other units 324 has lots of pressure.

Like I said about 40% of elk hunters who hunt in MT get calls...as far as truthful what else can be done? not all thehunters through a game check tell the truth nor do people who fill out paper. As far as 324 gos I know it gets a ton of pressure...its a zoo. Im sure the surveys would reflect that. Can any state tell u "exactly how busy any given area of a huge unit is going to be on an particular day during a season"??????

Its not going to be exact, nor do they don't claim it is.

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back