Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Area 23 access

Solohuntr

has anyone hunted area 23 in DIY mode? access is claimed to be poor but I see roads leading into decent BLM lands??

That's probably what he's referring to. I've been in that unit on the west side along the Powder River and it can be done DIY, especially using a Garmin GPS using the Wyoming land ownership chip so you know EXACTLY where you are at all times. There are antelope, as well as some decent deer, over on the west side of the unit if you know what you're doing.

We hunted 23 for antelope and region c for muleys two years ago. The poor rating on public access is fair. The amount of drilling and gas activity in the area was irritating. The best antelope we found were on walk in or state sections, the farther from Gillette the better. There are a couple big chunks of accessible BLM along the Powder River, it's good deer country and there are a few antelope, but you'll have to work for them. We hunted the second week of the season and the BLM seemed to get more pressure. You can probably get access to private for doe antelope, we called a few on the landowner list and most want big $$ for access... Shoot me a PM if you have specific questions and maybe I can help.

Sorry, yes Wyoming, been staring at maps for 2 hrs,,,, this seems to be a better deer unit than goats?? I have my GPS and WYO chip with land owners to keep me in bounds. hunted area 7 last year and looking around for other back up areas, I really dont want to pay alot for access, or pay all all if I can avoid it ":D I hunted all open land last year. so far my luck with goats has been pretty bad, need to lose the white tail menatality when I get out there.

Hunted that area in 2010, but hunted private ranch by paying a very reasonable kill fee. My nephew and I had our run of the place for a day and next morning with the rancher's wife driving us about since we were newcomers and not familiar with the property boundaries. Not the way I would prefer to hunt; never had before and won't ever again, but since we were coming from NC and Texas we wanted to up our chances of filling our tags as we both grew up meat hunting and knew there was little likelihood of finding a trophy in that situation. There were ample animals where we were and the rancher and his wife accommodated us well: (that half-bushel of NC mountain apples and jars of wild grape jam I brought them probably helped that), but it was all private with the exception of the state checkerboard sections,and if and when I return it will be to public or WIA and living out of the bed of a pickup.

Last edited:
I did see deer, but saw way more antelope. This is still a good unit for antelope and you can have a good hunt in this unit, but if you want access to the larger blocks of BLM and state land, start calling land owners now. The other thing I would recommend if you can't get access to the larger blocks of public land or if you don't want to pay a trespass fee, is to call the county and know how far you can drive in on the county roads. From there get out of your vehicle and using your gps with the land ownership chip, walk in as far as you can on the public land. You will still see other hunters, but you should be able to get a goat.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambushpredator
Back