Archery Lopes - Who's going?

NV started Aug 1st. I only blew 7 stalks last weekend over 10mi of hiking...made a decoy to mount to my bow this week. Testing it out this weekend!

speaking of decoys, do most here use them for archery goats? I have not used decoys. I am always solo and didn't know how much help I would get for the hassle on the amount of walking I do. Of course everything online is an advertisement so they are a must to them.

speaking of decoys, do most here use them for archery goats? I have not used decoys. I am always solo and didn't know how much help I would get for the hassle on the amount of walking I do. Of course everything online is an advertisement so they are a must to them.

I have some good friends in NW Nebraska that kill goats every year behind decoys - thats the only way they hunt. I am going to be trying this thing out in about a month, think it will work?

goat1.jpg goat2.jpg

I have some good friends in NW Nebraska that kill goats every year behind decoys - thats the only way they hunt. I am going to be trying this thing out in about a month, think it will work?

View attachment 85980 View attachment 85981
carry

Nice work! That is like a medieval antelope shield. Would it be possible to cut it down the middle and put small hinges on it? That would make it easier to carry on your pack.

Might consider adding a flexible strap through which you would put your hand through, and then hold on to your handle. The strap would be snug on your forearm, and reduce tipping of the decoy, and keeping you only holding on with one arm. Like the backside of a Roman shield.

I blew two stalks, then had an entire herd simply disappear into thin air when I was trying to find them again when they should have been right there in the open. :confused:

I'm heading out on Friday night and have a couple days to get her done. First archery speed goat tag. I'm estatic and am bringing a decoy made by ultimate predator. It fits on my bow. I'm a little worried if it is windy though.

I'm heading out on Friday night and have a couple days to get her done. First archery speed goat tag. I'm estatic and am bringing a decoy made by ultimate predator. It fits on my bow. I'm a little worried if it is windy though.

In my experience...If it's windy they usually concentrate to their upwind side. Get directly downwind and stalk. A headwind has no deflection value like a rifle, so you can shoot into it and all you'll lose is some feet per second of speed.

I'm heading out for labor day weekend in Wyoming. It's a leftover tag so not a good chance to kill, but it should be fun none-the-less! That and I'll use it as scouting for the rifle season.

That looks like a good design, you may want to cosider a 2nd handle if the wind is blowing.

Thanks man - I thought about that, but was trying to figure out how I could still carry my bow. Maybe a bow sling? We're gonna know right away how she holds up in the wind

carry

Nice work! That is like a medieval antelope shield. Would it be possible to cut it down the middle and put small hinges on it? That would make it easier to carry on your pack.

Thanks! Haha I stole the design from my buddies, but it seems to work pretty well for them. I was trying to figure out a way to make it more packable - thanks for the idea!

Might consider adding a flexible strap through which you would put your hand through, and then hold on to your handle. The strap would be snug on your forearm, and reduce tipping of the decoy, and keeping you only holding on with one arm. Like the backside of a Roman shield.

Thanks for the idea, I appreciate it!

Thats legit!

Thanks brother!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back