Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Archery elk in the rain

Damn. I'm impressed, and all perfect shots! Now am I allowed to have an opinion?
P.s. please don't PM me any explicit pics to prove how big you are.

A guide told me that he's never recovered a bull he's tracked more than a half mile. That's not saying he won't keep on the track, just that as of yet he hasn't recovered one that's gone that far.

Red Raider, what unit you going in? I'll be there in 2 weeks. The mud can get really nasty. If you can get somewhere you'll be ahead of the game. I doubt most residents will hunt that hard or at all and they're 80% of the competition. I say that because theyre more local, can go home, and don't have as much invested both in tag dollars and cost to get there. Also, it can be a flat out down pour at camp...but 2 miles away in the mountains can be dry. Too much invested not to hunt. Just have to make even more sure you put a good shot.

I'll be in unit 36

When I hunted New Mexico it rained on and off for 3 days. When I was raining bulls went silent, we were hunting the early archery. So even after the rain not that much bugle activity. But when it rained silence

Does this forum have an ignore option?

Like the new sig. FYI. I have a similar amount of experience as you claim to have and I consider that limited. Many on here have a lot more so cut the self promotion and bravado. Nobody is impressed.

The forum needs an option for the op to block people who came to argue and chest pound.

Last edited:
7thGenMT is an endless source of on-line amusement. He holds the world record for being banned and reregistering under a new account on monstermuleys.com.

I don't hunt whitetails in the rain with archery gear, it isn't worth losing them. I had a double lung doe run 500 yards once and she left drops every few yards.

I bear hunted a few weeks ago in the rain but didn't shoot one. I would have less of a problem with bear because they don't seem to run very far.

Like the new sig. FYI. I have a similar amount of experience as you claim to have and I consider that limited. Many on here have a lot more so cut the self promotion and bravado. Nobody is impressed.

The forum needs an opinion for the op to block people who came to argue and chest pound.

I think it has plenty of opinions.When I start claiming its unethical to hunt before a rain storm or claiming I can blood trail a gut shot elk for over a mile and recover it Ill take your advice.I can tell after a very short time on here its nothing more than noobs looking for help and know-it-all novices with all the answers a google search can provide on any given subject,your illustrious leader included.

Last edited:
I think it has plenty of opinions.When I start claiming its unethical to hunt before a rain storm or claiming I can blood trail a gut shot elk for over a mile and recover it Ill take your advice.I can tell after a very short time on here its nothing more than noobs looking for help and know-it-all novices with all the answers a google search can provide on any given subject,your illustrious leader included.

This site is intended to be a place where new hunters can come to learn and ask for advice from more experienced hunters, and for everyone, regardless of experience level, to connect. It seems you don't like it on Hunt Talk. If that's the case, please move to another forum that better fits your desired experience.

Back to hunting in the rain, in my limited experience and opinion... The majorities of hunters head back to the truck, camp, or try to wait it out, but patience is slim and people leave early depending on how the sky looks. Have proper rain gear, pants, and jacket pull over with a hood. If you can't afford the state of the art camo gear, go for cheaper backpacking gear that is light weight to haul around. In a rain storm, I'd rather have rain loud hitting my rain jacket and be dry and comfortable. I use the cheaper backpacking stuff because of cost. I feel like the elk don't like the rain like us but they are still stuck in it, so why shouldn't we be there too with the luxury of being dry. As for shooting an elk in the rain, it's just like any other factor. The amount of rain, situation, and more importantly you practicing. If you can, practice some shooting in the rain, or cold morning in the winter, just be mentally prepared. But not shooting is a down pour or rain is also good advice depending on situation. I guess in my ramblings, the real moral of the story is stay out, stay dry, hole up somewhere if needed. Enjoy the hunt as the rain gives and goes away.

If we were all experts and everyone knew everything to be known about elk hunting...what would we share? How would we converse knowing the other person already knows everything and every situation is the same?

Hey guys thanks for hijacking my post to have a playground fight about who's the better hunter... much appreciated. It really helped a lot.

Now for those who actually provided benificial insight to my question I do very much appreciate your help! Updated weather reports indicated scattered storms early in the week, but clears out the rest of the trip. I will prepare to stay out all day with rain gear as advised, and when it clears maybe I'll be able to glass something up!

Good luck with rain, and great plan on staying out and staying dry. If you can pack a small tarp too and some para cord that has helped me in one storm that lasted almost all day once. For me it can be a relief to be able to stand and stretch not having rain hit me regardless of having rain gear or not. Helps you glass better too having rain off the binos or spotting scope if you can find the right area and need to hunker down.

Hey guys thanks for hijacking my post to have a playground fight about who's the better hunter... much appreciated. It really helped a lot.

I was trying to be helpful and I couldn't care less who is the better hunter. It's too bad you didn't get any beneficial insight from my post. I'll refrain from contributing to your threads in the future.
Good luck!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back