Caribou Gear

Archery Coues Deer Success

I am happy to say that my AZ OTC archery deer season has ended successfully. On my 7th day of hunting I shot this beautiful buck at 50 yards.
I spent 6 days in an area I had scouted for the past month and had trail cam photos of a nice buck that I wanted to go after. I had even found his sheds while scouting. Unfortunately as it sometimes goes, this buck disappeared from my trail cams completely. Six days of only spotting a few spikes a does, I decided he might be gone from the area or went nocturnal due to the heat. I decided to take a day to go and sit water in a different area that I had success in the previous year. With it being so hot right now and with little monsoon rains, sitting water seemed worth a shot. Right away I had groups of deer coming into the waterhole. At first it was just does, spikes and a few forks. I was excited to have so much action going on. It was worth the change in venue just to see so many deer..
I blew an attempt at a pretty decent 3x3. I was kicking myself for screwing it up. I didn't time my draw correctly and ended up spooking him. I think everything happens for a reason though and I made note of my mistake and learned from it.
About an hour later this buck very slowly and cautiously made his approach to the water. I timed my draw as he fully turned his head the other direction to check out the area. I held at full draw as he made his final approach to the water line and presented a broadside shot at 50 yards. I settled my pin, released a breath, and squeezed my release to break the arrow loose. He ducked down a little at the sound of the bow. I heard the teltale sound of the arrow hitting. I saw I hit a little high due to his duck down, but the hit was effective. He staggered a bit and since he hadn't run off, I put another one in him. It was a quick passing but unfortunately he fell into the water at the end. He was fully submerged with just my fletching sticking out above the water line!
What a mix of emotions. Relief that I had fulfilled my tag on a great buck, and the dread that now I had to go into the water to pull him out.
I stepped into the water and my boots filled with the water from the tops I was able to grab ahold of him once I was just under knee deep. He was easy to float up to the water edge and then pretty heavy as I dragged him soaking wet up the shore a few feet. I was able to clean him up a little from the mud and let him dry off a little before snapping a few photos with my phone. I was excited to use the gutless method as demonstrated by Randy. I have been using a havalon blade but with all the mud and grime on this buck's hide, my blades were dulling very quickly on all hide cuts. I think I will be upgrading to Randy's new Gerber knives after this experience. I got him quartered out, backstraps and tenderloins in game bags. I moved the carcass away from the water and out of sight so as not to deter wildlife and cattle from the water. It was a short 1 mile pack out in my soggy boots so I loaded everything up for one heavy trip to my jeep and the cooler.
Kelly, mind if I ask what GMU you were in? I normally hunt SE Az.

Not sure how I missed this thread. Wow, what a buck? And with a bow no less. Congrats! Gonna go after another in January?

Not sure how I missed this thread. Wow, what a buck? And with a bow no less. Congrats! Gonna go after another in January?
Thank you!
I have a strong no-kill in January policy. I need to be eligible in case I draw the strip.

I have a January NM archery coues tag this year and also a January AZ archery javelina tag to keep me busy anyway.

I love velvet bucks!!!! Pretty awesome you have 2! I can’t wait till I’m able to come down and shoot a velvet Coues deer 🦌, Idid a euro on my WY velvet Muley and it turned out great with velvalock.
Matt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back