PEAX Equipment

Archery Bull

AZMIKE111

Here's a pic of my dad's archery bull he arrowed opening morning. I'll post the story later.

ecca3e7f.jpg

sweet bull. Thanks for whacking one of them. They were really annoying during my cow hunt... :p

I had a few that I wish someone would come shoot just to shut them up. Like the one across the road from my camp.

cmc

WOW!! I hope I get to shoot something that big someday. Congrats, that is an awesome bull, that's for dang sure.

Thanks for the comments. I'll show him this page when he returns helping another guy on the hunt. I'm sure he'll really appreciate it! Here's the story.
Lots of preparation and scouting went into the hunt to figure out the area we wanted to hunt. After many weekends of being in the field, each day out we learned a little more about the patterns of the elk. On opening morning it was windy, but in our favor and the elk were bugling. We found a brushy spot in a small opening and sat down knowing the elk were going to pass through during the morning. One bull was bugling about 100 yards in front of us but we couldn't see him through the trees. I kept thinking to myself that this might be the bull I had seen scouting that looked big. We gave him a few cow calls to keep his attention. Then more bulls started bugling below. After about thirty minutes the bull appeared and walked within 25 yards broadside. He bugled by and went up into the trees about 50 yards away. He continued to feed, then lift his head and bugle. Then a spike walked to our left at about 20 yards. He finally walked on by feeding. We kept our attention towards the trees as more bugling continued our way. Then we gave a few more cow calls to keep the bulls moving towards us. Well then the spike came back but within 15 yards to see the cow he just heard. We stayed as still as possible but he busted us. He ran towards the bull that we hadn't seen yet and scared him out about 80 yards in front of us. I noticed it was a smaller six point and he circled us at about 70-80 yards. We gave him a couple calls to slow him down a bit so he wouldn't scare everything out of the area. Those calls slowed his pace to a slow walk and he continued a little closer to us at around 50 yards as he walked on to his bed. Then a single cow fed up to our right and back behind us. Then a group of 8 cows to our right at about 60 yards and into the trees, following where the first cow had just went. About five minutes later I see another six point at about 120 yards coming through the pines. He was a smaller bull so we let our a cow call. He then turned his path pretty much towards us. Behind that bull I noticed another one trailing about 30 yards behind. Right as I saw his antlers I turned to my dad and said here comes a shooter. The first bull stayed at a steady pace and walked by about 60 yards away by where the cows went. This bigger bull stayed on his path, so we let out a soft cow call. The bull then turned directly towards us and moved in quick. He didn't bugle at all but was looking for the cow he just heard. He then stopped at around 50 yards but head first toward us. He then turned to his left broadside. My dad pulled back and sent the arrow through the bull for a double lung hit.

Another angle of the bull.

ecc98ba8.jpg

That bull truly is a monster Mike.
Have you had time to put a tape on it?
Looks like it could go 390+! Anyone else here dare to venture a guess?
Congrats to your pops! A bull of a lifetime to be sure!

Back