AR 15 Optics ???

buckykm1

I just bought my 1st AR15, the S&W MP15 Sport, in 5.56.

I am 62, so my eyes aren't what they use to be, but still okay.
I am thinking about putting the Vortex Strikefire 2 on it.

My question is, with a 1x optic, should I be able to shoot decent groups out to 200 yards ?.

I would like to keep it set up on the tactical side, so I real don't want to put a scope on it.

I have considered the Vortex Spitfire 3x too.

any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks
Kevin

What do you want to do with it, and what do you consider decent groups?

Based on my experience, the practical distance for the use of that type of sight is probably around 200m, but you have to recognize that is not what these sights are designed to do, they are a close quarters optic.

A decent shooter, experienced with the sight, can probably hold a 2moa group. You have to understand the dot is 4MOA on that sight, so you are goign to be covering up about 8 inches on your target with the dot. If you do go with this sight and intend to shoot some longer distances try this: adjust the sight to the full brightness, then turn it down an increment at a time until it disappears (this will be a different level everytime depending oin ambient light), and then bump back up one increment. This will give you the finest aiming point.

As long as you understand that type of sights limitations, they are good for their use.

I use a 1x Bushnell on one of my ARs...groups at 200 aren't pretty. As MinnesotsHunter said, your dot will be as big as the target you want to hit. My original goal was to use it as a truck gun but I'm finding that due to having to turn the sight on that I am too slow. It has become more of a spray down range fun gun when with friends which has its merits too.

For what its worth, if I were you I would go one of two ways.

1. If it is going to be a range plinking rifle, and you want the red dot sight take a look at Vortex's Venom sight. It will create less tunnel vision, and will be a faster sight, similar to an Eotech; which IMO is a vastly superior sight over the "Aimpoint" style red dots.

2. If you want a utility rifle that you can plink on the range, shoot a coyote or two, and take some longer shots. Look at something like the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24. It has an illuminated reticle and drops down to 1 power, so it is still a pretty fast for short range fun shooting, but still offers the precision you need to pop a coyote or prairie dog at some distance. With a sight like you you can start shooting out closer to 4-500yds. If you are concerned about staying true to a tactical format, most guys operating in AFG use something like this or a Trijicon ACOG.

I'm a pretty avid AR shooter, and while I'm no expert, I have a Noveske Ares II with an Aimpoint M4 on it. I love my aimpoint for work out to about 100-150 yds. Mine has a 2moa dot in it, and while I know the rifle is capable of accuracy beyond the groups I get. I tyipcally shoot groups about the size of the dot at 100yds. Like others said, turn your brightness WAY down for the finest aiming point.

I've tried to shoot some prairie dogs with this AR, and beyond 100-150yds it turns into a crapshoot... The dot just covers too much critter for me to be effective.

The big benefit, for me of an RDS, an eotech, or similar is that you can shoot with both eyes open. This can be a benefit for close range work especially if speed is needed.

For me, if I was going to use an AR for anything beyond plinking and work within 100yds, I'd go with something with a 3-4x of magnification, and a finer aiming point. A 1-4x optic is a fine option, as is an ACOG. I personally would shy away from using a an RDS and a magnifier, because while they will give you magnification; you still have a 2 or 4 moa dot as the aiming point, which at 200yds is simply too large for me to be precise.

I know they are pricey, but would you be interested in an ACOG? PM me if you want a quote on anything.

Thanks guys'
I might put a $1000.00 scope on my Elk rifle. but there is no way in H that I would on a AR that is basically for plinking.
I decided to go to a scope, I ordered a Vortex 2x7-35, and a set of flip up 45 degree iron sights for it.

Kevin

Thanks guys'
I might put a $1000.00 scope on my Elk rifle. but there is no way in H that I would on a AR that is basically for plinking.
I decided to go to a scope, I ordered a Vortex 2x7-35, and a set of flip up 45 degree iron sights for it.

Kevin

You can look at it like that, or you look at it like you're putting a $900 (go with schmalts, he'll hook you up) on a cheap rifle. You can always keep the scope even when you get tired of the tonka toy. :)

I have an EO tech on my flat top. Its great if you have poor eyesight, since both the recticle and the target are in focus at the same time. It is superb in low light conditions, and I have not found anything quicker for target acquisition. I don't think there is a better tactical set up period.

It has no magnification but is crazy accurate. I had mine at the range the other day and was consistently hitting the 400 yard steel. The only thing I would do differently is to get the two dot recticle, and maybe add the 1x magnifier.

http://www.eotechinc.com/holographic-weapon-sights/model-xps2

One of these days I am going to put the ACOG on one of my own. I really like those things but just have a hard time getting past the price myself but they sure are a sweet scope for an AR

I have an EO tech on my flat top. Its great if you have poor eyesight, since both the recticle and the target are in focus at the same time. It is superb in low light conditions, and I have not found anything quicker for target acquisition. I don't think there is a better tactical set up period.

It has no magnification but is crazy accurate. I had mine at the range the other day and was consistently hitting the 400 yard steel. The only thing I would do differently is to get the two dot recticle, and maybe add the 1x magnifier.

http://www.eotechinc.com/holographic-weapon-sights/model-xps2

The reason they are better at distance is the center dot on the reticle is only 1MOA vs 4 on the aimpoint. The reticle is much easier to find quickly with the 65MOA ring around it as well.

Pat, you are right, and ACOG is a pretty awesome sight. I have been using the same TAO1-NSN since 2004, it looks rough, but it performs. Multiple deployments, thousands or rounds, no issues. The tritium will probably dim out before that sight gives up. You can also learn to shoot it both eyes open.

I got it all set up, the way I want it, I think ?
I put the Vortex Diamondback 2x7-35 on it with 45 degree flip up Iron Sights, A laser on the side.
and I added a Velocity 3lb. Trigger. the new Trigger is awesome.

now I just need the weather to straighten out some so I can get out and sight it in.

Kevin

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back