Yeti GOBOX Collection

AR 15 and 10 type rifles

I don’t pretend to have the answer to this issue. I do know one thing for certain. The optics of saying we can’t prevent this so we shouldn’t try is a losing position politically and for the 2nd amendment. Standing pat is losing game plan and quite frankly a hand that been played for too long.
What do you think will work?
Universal background checks, Standard capacity magazine ban, assault weapons ban?

We used to be able to have a gun in our trucks at school so that we could slip in an afternoon hunt. No problem. Most of us feared our Fathers above all else.
Now we don’t allow young men to have a gun in their truck. Schools and shopping centers are being shot up. I highly doubt these killers have the same fear of their Fathers that we had. They have no fear or respect for anything.

I am a lifetime NRA member. I support gun ownership and use. I do not support all gun ownership and use. I will not be drawing the line in the sand so that all accessories and guns should continue to be sold and owned. The underlying premise we are somehow the last bastion against tyranny just does not pencil out for me.

I appreciate patriotism. I stand for the Anthem. I often side with the underdog when would be easier to fit in. I ask this. Do you foresee tyranny backed by the U.S. Armed Forces being pushed back and defeated by armed civilians?

I do not think for one minute any of the guns I own will stop a rapid, coordinated assault on my home at 3am by 3 or more persons trained in weapon use and on securing a building.

I do not think for one minute any of the guns I own will stop a tank, fighter jet, cruise missile, machine gun, mortar, robot, flash grenade, gas attack, or sonic weapon.

Keeping high-capacity and rapid-fire accessories for sale or even outlawing ownership of those items does not shift the outcome if the moment arises where it is time to repulse the entirety of the U.S. Armed Forces. Nor will having 10,000 rounds of ammunition. This is not the 1700s where the firepower is similar between civilians and the Government. This will be an asymmetrical fight. A noble fight can be taken up if tyranny arises but death will be the outcome.

As for the slippery slope when accessories are outlawed, Tommy guns used to be sold to civilians from 1921-34. A law enacted in 1934 changed that as well as required registration of all previously sold Tommy guns. Freedom survived. My family had guns then and do now. The past 85 years has not led to collapse of gun rights. We managed to find other ways to shoot at coyotes, protect jewelry stores, and punch holes in paper targets.

There are a lot of factors which are present when there is a mass killing here in America. There are mass killings that do not involve firearms at all. There are mass killings that are criminals attempting to target other criminals. There are prescription drugs used by young men and women with developing brains yet not many of the women are shooting up public places so is not the use of Rx alone. Social media and peer pressures. Stigma of mental health issues. There are violent aspects of entertainment though much of the same entertainment is also found and consumed in Canada and South Korea but not many mass killings there. Families are often fractured. Generational poverty. Generational failures to be productive members of society.

Working to address several issues at once is okay in my book. Criminals will continue to do criminal things. Good guys with concealed weapons and other firearms they have with them can help to counter the actions of criminals as can LEO. I see that as patriotic. A lot of the arguments I am hearing ring hollow based on my experiences for almost six decades.

Which guns and accessories are you ok with giving up? Would you be ok with giving up the ones that cause the most deaths or only the ones that get the most media?

As far as you taking on and defeating the US Military with your hunting rifles. You are correct, you could not win. But having armed citizens keeps a the possibility of a tyrannical government from doing things too crazy and getting too off track. A relatively small number of heavily armed folks can cause a lot of trouble and casualties. See Vietnam and Afghanistan for example. Of course our military could blow those countries off the map. But they couldn't outright defeat those very determined albeit outnumbered and outgunned fighters. Do you think our government wants to get into something like that with its own citizens? I see gun ownership (including high capacity AR's) as a small part of our government's checks and balances.

By all means let's continue to do NOTHING!

This x100. We need to realize that we are responsible for our own safety. The government can’t be responsible for your safety, and quite frankly most of us wouldn’t want that.

I don’t walk through bear country without the ability to protect myself. Why would I go to Chicago without the ability to protect myself? Or anywhere else for that matter? I don’t...... Shyte happens that you can’t plan for. It’s called life.

This isn’t some epidemic that is out of control. Maybe some of “us” need to step back and get some perspective before trying to solve a problem that is statistically insignificant.

I don’t mean to offend anyone. And people are surely entitled to their opinion. Most wound even disagree with me and think that is crazy. So be it. Just my opinion.

We used to be able to have a gun in our trucks at school so that we could slip in an afternoon hunt. No problem. Most of us feared our Fathers above all else.
Now we don’t allow young men to have a gun in their truck. Schools and shopping centers are being shot up. I highly doubt these killers have the same fear of their Fathers that we had. They have no fear or respect for anything.

Some of them dont even know their fathers and that might be part of the problem. No one to guide them teach them support them love them. But I am aware that this is just one piece of the problem and has nothing to do with ( insert description you prefer ) rifles, or even bombs, knives, etc , but it is people who use the (insert the description you prefer ) rifles, bombs, knives, etc. Maybe the problem that needs fixed is the breakdown in the family, community, church, sports, etc , which has already been mentioned in this thread

Last edited:
What is an "assault rifle"? I need to know which ones are classified as such, and which ones aren't. It's a description coined by the fricken media to describe any weapon used in what they deem a "mass" shooting. Gun people don't use the term "assault rifle". Done before I get in trouble. mtmuley

This x100. We need to realize that we are responsible for our own safety. The government can’t be responsible for your safety, and quite frankly most of us wouldn’t want that.

I don’t walk through bear country without the ability to protect myself. Why would I go to Chicago without the ability to protect myself? Or anywhere else for that matter? I don’t...... Shyte happens that you can’t plan for. It’s called life.

This isn’t some epidemic that is out of control. Maybe some of “us” need to step back and get some perspective before trying to solve a problem that is statistically insignificant.

I don’t mean to offend anyone. And people are surely entitled to their opinion. Most wound even disagree with me and think that is crazy. So be it. Just my opinion.

So how do you propose 1st graders protect themselves from an armed gunman in their school? It’s our duty to protect them and we are doing absolutely nothing.

I am not sure that's what the quoted post was meant to convey - it was sarcastic. Doesn't negate your following position, but not really a 100x.

So how do you propose 1st graders protect themselves from an armed gunman in their school? It’s our duty to protect them and we are doing absolutely nothing.
We protect property, assets, people, anything of value everyday. Protecting things of value is nothing new. Yet we provide no protection for our children while they are at school?

I would suggest that protecting children at all would be a good start. Right now there is virtually zero protection for kids at school. Laws aren’t a protection. It’s illegal to rob a bank, but people still do. Hence the need for guards. It illegal to kill political figures, yet people still do. Hence the need for secret security.

So I would say that any security would be better than none. My kids are the most important thing in my life. They deserve the best security that can be afforded in my opinion.

I am not sure that's what the quoted post was meant to convey - it was sarcastic. Doesn't negate your following position, but not really a 100x.

Yeah I forgot to state that I was taking his quote out of context at the beginning of my post. But I do agree with what he said. Just not his ideals. That’s ok though.

On face value, I don't particularly have a problem with universal background checks, however I fail to see how that would do much to stop this trend of mass shootings. I can think of only a a handful of these incidents(that I have read about) where the guns weren't purchased legally. The two recent shootings were with legally purchased guns correct? I'm not sure how universal background checks could be done successfully without mass registration of all guns, which I do not think is feasible and I would not support.

I hesitate to stick my toe in this water because it seems infinitely deep and no one has figured out how to swim yet. Me included. Personally, I don't think most of the proposed regulations will have much effect - at least not for a very long time. But I agree they are coming. If not sooner then later, and not a lot later.

Personally, I find the "slippery slope" argument against them to be very weak. Everything has slippery slope potential. Sometimes we slide down the slope, sometimes we don't. Maybe someone should do a study on why that is.

But more to the point, no one on either side of this argument really wants to do anything more than prevent people who want to do these acts from doing them. When we find someone with a hammer beating on someone else, we don't just take away the hammer. We try to understand why this happened at all and what provoked this with an eye towards ensuring that it does not happen again. I see no one interested in answering those questions, much less changing things so that the need to answer them should never arise in the first place.

Is there any real interest or effort being made in finding out what provokes these people to act out like this? I don't think so. Would other societies have as many of these events as we do if they had the gun laws we do? Personally, I doubt it. But answering those questions might solve the problem (relatively speaking) without and much more effectively than gun bans, magazine limits, waiting periods, background checks, red flags, etc etc etc.

This is just my two cents but I think we, as a society, are focusing almost totally on closing the barn door after the horse is already in the next county, and I for one and not comfortable with simply allowing wanna-be mass murders walk around wanting to kill but only prevented from doing so to the extent that guns are hard/impossible to come by. That doesn't cut it for me.

YMMV.

I have seen the very depravity of men, the very worst, I have stood at the head of mass graves and watched as they were excavated.. I have seen what mass murder looks like and have no illusions as to what causes such things.. I have learned a couple of things along the way.. Those without weapons still die at the hands of those who do. Also societies commit truly mass murders at levels that the numbers talked about here would pale in comparison..

We are not immune from this happening here and with the dehumanization and demonization of people with opposing views along with the rampant devaluation of life actually we are ripe for it.. All of which are forerunners to this type of murder. Gun violence will never catch up with this level of systematic killing and almost always it is perpetrated on a population unable to defend itself..

Joseph Stalin is quoted as having said that the death of an individual is a tragedy the death of a million is a statistic.. So to those who are willing to disarm yourselves and others remember Srebrenica and Kigali..

On face value, I don't particularly have a problem with universal background checks, however I fail to see how that would do much to stop this trend of mass shootings. I can think of only a a handful of these incidents(that I have read about) where the guns weren't purchased legally. The two recent shootings were with legally purchased guns correct? I'm not sure how universal background checks could be done successfully without mass registration of all guns, which I do not think is feasible and I would not support.
We have a winner! UBC are total feel good laws. UBC wouldn’t have stopped El Paso, Ohio, Las Vegas, pluse night club, Virginia tech, Sandy Hook, Columbine, or your average weekend in Chicago.

But it is doing something, right?

We protect property, assets, people, anything of value everyday. Protecting things of value is nothing new. Yet we provide no protection for our children while they are at school?

I would suggest that protecting children at all would be a good start. Right now there is virtually zero protection for kids at school. Laws aren’t a protection. It’s illegal to rob a bank, but people still do. Hence the need for guards. It illegal to kill political figures, yet people still do. Hence the need for secret security.

So I would say that any security would be better than none. My kids are the most important thing in my life. They deserve the best security that can be afforded in my opinion.

Actually, in my area there isn’t a public school I know of without at least one School Safety Officer. There are several schools that allow concealed carry for the teachers. They also practice school shooter scenarios. Inside the classrooms are door stops to prevent access.

I’m sorry you feel we aren’t doing anything, in reality we are doing a lot more then when I went to school in the 80 and 90s.

Last edited:
Actually, in my area there isn’t a public school I know of without at least one School Safety Officer. There are several schools that allow concealed carry for the teachers. They also practice school shooter scenarios. Inside the classrooms are door stops to prevent access.

I’m sorry you feel we aren’t doing anything, in reality we are doing a lot more then when I went to school in the 80 and 90s.

I am sor

Where I am at we only have school resource officers at the high schools. They are on duty police that rotate through that position. Elementary schools get no such detail. Not sure why? The question I would ask is one cop enough to protect my kids while at school? I guess that would depend on the area that I live in.

Answering this question of “mass shootings” with laws will do nothing.

If you want your kids to be secure at school, then have security. If you want to be secure when you are at Walmart, then you need to take appropriate actions to do that. Whether it is carrying a pistol on you or avoiding it on Black Friday. We are all adults and responsible to make that choice on our own whatever it may be.

Constitution of United States of America - 2nd Amendment

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

🔫🍺🦌🦃👍😁

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back