Aoudad Hunting is no joke.

406LIFE

What an experience. I got everything I could imagine from this hunt. Highs and lows. Stalking and running. Even a trip to the ER.
What I learned:
1. Everything in the desert is telling you to stay out, especially the plants.
2. Packing out in the heat is no bueno. Stick to the mountains.
3. I was overwhelmed by the beauty of this ram when I got up to him.
4. Poor man sheep hunt is right, but still a sheep hunt. It doesn't take long to know it's gonna beat you up.
5. Snakebite gaiters, not just for snakes. I didn't see a rattler, but man did I find everything else want to jab me.
6. I much prefer the mountains and snow.

A special shoutout to new found friend and hunting buddy from here on HT, @Brentc who helped me out. I'll never forget that death hike.

You're nuts to be spot and stalk hunting Texas this time of year! Tree stands in the shade are bad enough. January/February are much kinder temps. Way to go on the Audad!
Yeah, when I come back it's definitely gonna be winter.

I've seen the thorns down there go through the sole of Kenetrek mountain boots... it's crazy!

Congrats on getting it done on a great ram!

Congrats on your successful hunt.

X2 on the gaiters... we also use them for thorns and stickers.

Yes, winter time for Aoudad would be a bit more comfortable.

This is an adventure that is extremely high on my list. Congrats on a fine ram!

Still one of my favorite hunts...but I hear you on the pokies.... No ER for me, just a quick visit with "Dr. Gerber". Those individually packed sterile scalpel blades can come in handy.

Attachments

• IMG_20180924_172908_798.jpg
    IMG_20180924_172908_798.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 21
Still one of my favorite hunts...but I hear you on the pokies.... No ER for me, just a quick visit with "Dr. Gerber". Those individually packed sterile scalpel blades can come in handy.
I spent a few minutes with a scalpel and Leatherman trying to do my own extraction. I actually had SpecOps nurse with us. It was just too deep, and no lidocaine. I could totally feel it under the skin and muscle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back