Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Anyone with an old DUI gone to Canada in the last few years?

There has to be an equivalence in the Canadian rule of law for convictions to prevent you from entering Canada.

A foreign BS criminal charge for homosexuality, or any other silly charge, would not prevent you from entering. While you may be flagged by CBSA, they would simply clarify with you and let you in.
I heard something in the news a while back that our govt was in a bit of a conundrum about what to do with criminal records for US drug convictions now that weed is legal up here. Did you hear how that played out?

Man, the Canadians don’t screw around at the Border. I’ll never forget my experience there, that’s for sure.

Thanks for the link. 👍 Not entirely clear. Seems to be a lot of gray areas. Probably best to call consulate for straight poop on your particular circumstances.
Never going to hurt to have an official answer and even some paperwork proving it well in advance of a trip. I’d absolutely call them.

For some reason they’ve always let me and my merry band of former ne’er do wells in without a problem.

Man, the Canadians don’t screw around at the Border. I’ll never forget my experience there, that’s for sure.

I mean, it's our country, our rules. I think a lot of people assume Canadians are a bunch of overly nice goobers. We are not.

Same goes when I cross the border into the US. The best thing to do is be honest, courteous and keep a positive attitude. Most times I end up chit chatting with the either side of the border's agents about random stuff.

Funny story, a few years ago I was crossing into Montana and as always they checked my rifles and paperwork. They normally make you bring your gun case out of the vehicle onto a table. The two agents there we super chill, one of them was a hunter and the other an ex army guy. We ended up talking about hunting, shooting and the army for a good 15 min. Then eventually one of them casually said they should send me on my way as I still had lots of travelling to do that day and he insisted on putting my rifle case away.

As he put in the rifle case on the back seat, it looked like something fell out of my truck and started bouncing on the ground. It was a loaded pistol mag. I knew it wasn't mine as our laws are pretty strict with regard to transporting pistols, but both agents had this look on their faces as if they had suddenly caught an international gun smuggler... Until I pointed out to the guy handling my gun case that the mag had fallen out of one of his mag pouch... 🙃 We had a pretty good laugh and I was sent on my merry way!

I mean, it's our country, our rules. I think a lot of people assume Canadians are a bunch of overly nice goobers. We are not.

Same goes when I cross the border into the US. The best thing to do is be honest, courteous and keep a positive attitude. Most times I end up chit chatting with the either side of the border's agents about random stuff.
Oh yeah. That wasn’t a shot at Canadians or a complaint by any means. I honestly think they do a great job with their border security.

But I can tell you, if you roll up to the border looking like dirty hippies with a truck that’s packed to the gills cause your moving to Alaska, you’re gonna answer a lot of questions and provide a lot of information while they tear your truck apart.

Like I said, I don’t blame ‘em one bit. But they are thorough. Night and day difference between that and the Border going into Alaska. We had to remind that dude to give us our passports back cause he was so bored he just wanted to chat with someone 😂

I was with a large group of friends entering Canada back in 2015ish and one of them had had problems before from a DUI on his record--but he'd been in and out of Canada many times over the intervening years, so he was very used to the process. So when they made us all show passports and asked if we were criminals, my buddy said, "I got a DUI in 2003 [or whatever] but I have been fully rehabilitated." That seemed to be the key word, and the border guy gave a funny little grin like it was some inside joke, said, "Got it," and sent us on our merry way.

Here's what's happening out on the west coast. That is the place to go for homeless junkies. The wind chill here is about -30 C. I don't know if it ever gets that cold in Vancouver or Victoria. Which location will the homeless choose? Formerly, the provinces handed out free bus tickets to homeless to get them out of province and on someone else's dole. But now Greyhound has left Canada. So the junkies are pretty much stuck on the west coast and don't leave even during the summer. Now people are dropping from OD out there like never before. And most of them are dying on the street, in the parks, etc. This legalizing small quantities of hard drugs is just meant to keep them alive a little bit longer. The hope is somehow they will have a better chance to get cleaned up. Sure, they have a better chance than if they are dead. But clearly the reality is allowing them to feed their habit more easily means they will have a better chance of winding up dead anyway. Totally illogical but this legislation, like goofy gun Bill C-21, has the appearance of doing something about a perceived problem ... without actually doing anything ... except making more problems. Bleeding heart nonsense.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back