Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Anyone still carry hatchets

LMD423

Curious if anybody still carries a hatchet and if so what brand we pack estwing 14 inch .

Heck yes. I've got a box of great game saws, but keep going back to my hatchet in the backcountry. When you need to put down a pile of firewood in a hurry, nothing else will do. Also, they never break. Lose one screw on a saw and it's essentially useless.
https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/

Nice hatchets glad to hear people still use them. I hear those gransforbruk made by the swedes are one of the best made. We use ours for quartering game. I think way easier than a saw.

I always have my small Plumb hatchet in my truck bag. Had it since I was young...long time.
Mostly use my Gerber or Fiskars axes these days for firewood work.....after the Stihl & Huskie shut down.

Just started last year for a couple late hunts we packed in for. Mine is a Shrade survival from home depot. Has worked great so far and is super light.

My old Plumb axe and hatchet got left behind on a campout last year, and so went through the axe and hatchet shopping last year.

For hatchet, I went with the Husqvarna 19" carpenters axe. It believe it was made by Finnish Viking forest elves. That thing is sweet! Perfect length, weight and balance for me. Love the straighter edge for detail work.

I did get a full size axe as well, but shamefully havn't used it yet.

I carry one in my vehicle. It's old, can't say it has a brand name on it anywhere. It was my grandfathers.

I've got an old 14" Gerber that's been a trusty companion for over 15 years. Good stuff.

Pretty cool I remember every one carrying one when growing up in the mountains thanks for the replies about the hatchets. I might drill out my estwing like MTTW hatchet. We where talking about hatchets with my dad and his is over fifty years old and still using it. Thanks again.

I have a Fiskars, it seems like they are the exact same thing as a gerber. They aren't pretty, but they work like crazy.

I don't..gave all mine away.

Instead, I use a Stanley finetooth sharptooth saw for cutting moose ribs and the antlers.
From my perspective safer and lighter. A Stanley sharptooth saw can cut moose skull cap pretty quick.

At moose camp we have a chainsaw for firewood bucking,
and a maul for splitting firewood.

hatchets

I'm a little unorthodox. I have started carrying a kukri. It gives me the ability to chop small to medium limbs and also use the base of the blade for cutting. It weighs about the same as a medium size hatchet. I haven't needed it much, but it has served its purpose the couple of times I have.

Last edited:
My son would whole sale refuse to go camping if the hatchet wasn't in the camp box! That kid would carry it around till the cows come home if I let him. Last week we were camping and I had to stop him from making kindling from all the split logs. Can't think of a more useful tool to have.

I rock a small Gerber with a Fiskar's head...probably about 10 inches....great tool that fits right on the belt. The Estwing tomahawk is money too, but I lost mine.

I have the Gerber Camp Axe too. I think it's 9 or 10" for long pack trips, and the SOG Badaxe with a saw in the handle for car camping/hunting. That little Gerber is a lot packed into that small package.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back