Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Anyone shoot a single shot out there?

Encore pistol in .308, put more whitetail down than I can count. Encore rifle in 7mm Rem Mag for Mule deer and elk. To be truthful I have been using bolt guns the past few years because they weigh less. Plus I have a gun issue...I always want more. I would love to snag a Ruger #1 in 6mm Rem or .220 Swift.

View attachment 80167

What are the top & bottom? Bottom looks all original?

the top one is a Winchester 1885 action made by Ballard Rifle Company. It is a dedicated target rifle, almost unusable as a hunting rifle. It's game starts at 200 meters and goes to 1000 yds. It is a .45-70 with a dedicated paper patch bullet chamber.

The bottom is a mostly original Winchester made in 1987 and sold in a hardware store in Wisconsin. It stayed in the family until I bought it in about 2000. It was originally .38-55 but the bore was rotted so I eventually rebarreled it in .38-72. It has been to target matches as a back up rifle, but it's not great out at the 500 line. not sure why. It carries easily, and makes a good western hunting rifle, where it has killed antelope and mulies and been carried on elk hunts but never fired.

Mulie.jpg

Your Winder is a great rifle and a good candidate for building a custom .22 like the one I made (and the two I have under construction). There are two types of low walls. I refer to them as thick and thin tangs (not thick and thin walls or sides - most people err there). The winder, whether it is a highwall or a low wall configuration has a thick tang, like all highwalls and thus can take highwall wood. It feels much "meatier" in the hand. I almost bought another last week, just because the price was right. I know I'm going to regret letting it get away.

I have a .40-65 under construction also. It is on the MVA highwall action and will also be a dedicated target rifle.

It is nearly impossible to improve on a highwall, but I have this Ballard Pacifc.... :)

I'm doubtful that the Winder will ever change. It was one of dad's, so too much nostalgia for me.

You have an absolutely lovely collection. Thanks for sharing!

I'm thinking a hi wall or another #1 are in the works soon. Just need to take care of some rejoining on a couple of drillings and restock a couple of bolts before I can justify another rifle to the boss. :)

Nope, you can't change Dad's rifle. Better start searching for another one :) You could always send those bolt rifles with their little dog-leg protuberances down the road you know :) :)

Encore pistol in .308, put more whitetail down than I can count. Encore rifle in 7mm Rem Mag for Mule deer and elk. To be truthful I have been using bolt guns the past few years because they weigh less. Plus I have a gun issue...I always want more. I would love to snag a Ruger #1 in 6mm Rem or .220 Swift.

My wife has a #1 in .220swift. Bought it at Cabelas a few years ago and got a pretty good deal. The salesman claimed that they bought a lot of #1's off of a distributer that was going out of business, therefore the guns were marked as "used" but in fact had never been fired(came with original box and everything). They happened to be running a sale on all used guns so we were able to pick it up for $800ish. Not the most accurate rifle we own, especially for a varmint gun, but it sure is a nice looking rifle.

I have a Handi-Rifle in .223 for coyotes. With a bull barrel @ 200yds I shot 4 rounds and found ONE hole with a crease on the side of that hole.

Haven't heard of many fancy rifles doing that.

I too have the Thompson setup for 300 min mag. I have shot several muley in Montana. I did this because the length of pull on the bolt on magnums is long. I have no issues with follow shots as I have the cartridge on the butt stock and it reloads quicly. The only issue I could have had in Montana is my buddy shot a muley at 550 yards and I hunted the same spot and there was a tree at 550 yards and with the scope on it I would have had a hard time hitting an animal, scope is a Nikon monarch 2.5x10. I have since inherited by great grandfathers 1956 Weatherby in 300 WBY mag and put a Leupold VX-6 3-18x44mm for out west hunting. I will use the Thompson for hunting close range in Wisconsin or a loaner gun to family and backup gun for out West.IMG_4539.jpg

Last edited:
I almost bought a #1 years ago when they were only $265 brand new. Didn't do it and it has occurred to me since that every bolt action I have shoot's only one shot at a time! Had an O/U 20 ga years ago that would fire two at a time! :)

I've had a tc encore in a .280 for over a decade. I bought it because I liked the idea of getting new barrels but other than the muzzle loader, I've never gotten a new one. The single shot doesn't make me a better hunter or marksman, I just enjoy the idea of one shot. I've been seriously considering a new gun, x bolt or something similar, for our elk rifle. My wife has a Browning BAR that weighs around a metric ton and I couldn't imagine toting that through the mountains.

Been hunting almost 45 years and the last 18 years has been with blackpowder (Thompson Center .54 Hawken and Shiloh Sharps 45-70). Hunting with and putting meat on the table with single shots has been the most rewarding form of hunting with firearms and I have no intention of changing. I took this elk last fall (the first elk I've killed in 22 years) in central Montana. I got the Shilo as a present for myself for the occasion of my 50th birthday seven years ago. In fact, I took the elk on opening day just one week after my birthday. A fine belated birthday present.

Last edited:
I have a Ruger #1 with a 28” Lilja barrel chambered in 300 Tomahawk. I have a 6.5x 20 Zeiss conquest on it. It was my first adventure into custom guns. Used it as a long range deer rifle in PA. and took it west a few times. I’ve only shot 4 elk with it. The last one was at 60yds. It’s heavier with the longer barrel but still nice to carry. I’ve never felt under gunned by using it but it’s mainly a backup gun now when I travel West.
C070C4AC-33DF-4C13-BCF2-D64F3482D9A5.jpg

The next trip to Alaska I take I will be taking a rifle for big game and a shotgun for grouse, ptarmigan, ducks, and bunnies. I will be considering the pros and cons of a single shot with interchangeable barrels vs two guns closely.

There is just something special about the simplicity of a single shot rifle. I have a Browning 1885 Highwall in 7mm magnum and a No 1 in 338 Win mag. My dream gun is a 1885 in 338-06. Gathering up the parts and cash to have it built.

Yes, it's a rimfire - a very atypical one for sure.

I'm passionate about single shots and especially Winchesters.

Here are a few with different types of sights on them. One thing that is great about these old rifles, sights, and scopes is that they can be dressed up or down for any application - sort of like Barbie dolls for bulletheads. Only takes a few minutes to go from a full blown Schuetzen rifle, to a silhouette rifle, to a squirrel rifle. What can I say? There really isn't much need for multishooters.

Winchesters%201.jpg

When did you get the Ballard rifle? I was a gunsmith for them before they moved to Michigan. We had some good times building rifles in Cody.

I had it made. It was among the very first rifles made at a "Wyoming Armory" rifle. It was built on a new Cody Ballard action.

Are you still gunsmithing? I'm always trying to keep track of good smiths. They don't grow on trees.

hagn mini action in wildcat 204 case out to 264,,sorry not able to put up a pic but have taken bull tahr to wapiti cross here in nz

Very cool chambering! That'd be dandy for where and how I hunt whitetails here in IN. Longest shot possible is 260yds and I think a 6.5/204R would have enough snort for that. If I wasn't so cheap, I'd build one for the boys, but I'll probably opt for a 243 and load it to acceptable levels for them.

When I first started hunting my dad told me I had to shoot at a small coffee can 1000 times and hit it 995 times. His coffee intake went up considerably that summer and by the end of summer, he had bought me a HandiRifle in .243. That rifle taught me that I had one shot and had to make it count. I never felt undergunned with that rifle. It was made before they made the switch from ejectors to extractors on their rifles so reloads were simpler as long as the empty didn't hit you in the face at Mach 5. I even got a double one day on a deer that stuck around a little to long after seeing his friend go down. If they were still being made, I would suggest a HandiRifle in .243 to any dad looking for his youngster's first deer rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back