Anyone on here have or chasing a grand slam?

Guy5858

I have only ever hunted Eastern's. Curious if anyone on here has ever completed a turkey grand slam (or in the process).

Any suggestions of things to think about in planning out states/hunts?

I like the idea of picking a state like South Dakota in which you could potentially knock off a Merriam and a Rio in the same state.

How much harder is it to accomplish this if you do it via public land (rather some sort of semi-guided option)?

Any recommendations for private land or semi-guided if I decide to go that route?

Thanks!

I’ve kind of stumbled in to only needing an Osceola (for a number of years now). I’m kind of hopeful I draw AZ Gould’s first though :) - however, just last week, I got a line on a private Osceola Hunt I can likely get into next year for a bottle of bourbon.

As I understand it, most of the Rio’s in SD are going to be on private. Certainly a great trip to the Hills for Merriams, though. Plus, you can grab a WY tag and even NE tags and make it a long adventure in a small area and all public ground (up to and including wilderness area turkeys, which for whatever odd reason I think is neat.)

For the Osceola, you’ll need to draw one of the WMA lottery hunts or go private unless you have really good connections.

I never really thought about it until I got my Merriams in AZ this past spring, so now I’m 1/2 way there (already had Easterns)

I don't discriminate based on tail fan color. I've shot pure Merriams and Easterns, and just about every shade of hybrid in between and they were all great fun.

I'm casually pursuing the world slam. I've taken Rios, Merriam's, Ocellated, and Gould's in that order. Only ones left are the Osceola and Eastern.
I'm pursuing more aggressively the North American waterfowl slam. Going by the official list I only need the Common Eider, King Eider, Black Duck, and Cackler. However, my personal list is bigger than that when I include sub-species. I'm pursuing them all DIY. Except for the Ocellated because Mexican law requires that a foreigner hire a registered guide.

I have the Grand Slam backwards. I have Eastern from PA. , Rio from Woodward Okla., 15 Meriams or so from AZ , and Living in AZ. I got the Goulds in Az. 3 years ago. Looking into Florida tonight as a matter of fact. If anyone has a good outfit or info on Osceolla they want to share I am open. I not going for Oscilatted in Cental America .4-6 K and dangerous. The cost isn't worth it . I have all four mounted allso...........BOB!

Thanks for all the comments. Any suggestions on what states you would target if your goal was to be efficient with amount of time off work (and also not go crazy with costs)?

Or any suggestions of "semi guided" options? I would be interested in access to private land but hunting by myself kind of thing..

I'm casually pursuing the world slam. I've taken Rios, Merriam's, Ocellated, and Gould's in that order. Only ones left are the Osceola and Eastern.
I'm pursuing more aggressively the North American waterfowl slam. Going by the official list I only need the Common Eider, King Eider, Black Duck, and Cackler. However, my personal list is bigger than that when I include sub-species. I'm pursuing them all DIY. Except for the Ocellated because Mexican law requires that a foreigner hire a registered guide.

Look into central Ga and Alabama for Easterns. But be warned, public land easterns here are a different breed of bird it seems

I felt safer ocellated turkey hunting in the Yucatan Peninsula of Southern Mexico than I do when visiting the downtown areas of major US cities like Chicago. The myth that all of Mexico is a war zone is foolish and media hype. Most Mexican people are honest, nonviolent, hardworking, and unaffiliated with the cartels. Stay off the streets at 3 am and away from the bars and you’ll be fine.256861D6-1B4F-4EF6-8153-4845D5F93404.jpeg W

I felt safer ocellated turkey hunting in the Yucatan Peninsula of Southern Mexico than I do when visiting the downtown areas of major US cities like Chicago. The myth that all of Mexico is a war zone is foolish and media hype. Most Mexican people are honest, nonviolent, hardworking, and unaffiliated with the cartels. Stay off the streets at 3 am and away from the bars and you’ll be fine.View attachment 118880 W
Great photo!

Completed my Grand Slam 2 years ago. Eastern's in Illinois and Wisconsin, Rio in Kansas, Merriams in Nebraska and South Dakota, and of course Osceola in Florida. Used Osceola Outfitters in Florida, paired it with some hog hunting, fun trip for sure.

Will be perusing Goulds this spring in Mexico in hopes of completing the Royal slam.

Gray rider ,to say Mexico is safer than some US. cities is foolish. Yes they are nice people and Had working. But anything can and does happen there. Been in Sonora 5 times Coues hunting, the last being bout 10 years ago.. Not worth it to Me. Living here in Phoenix You hear Horror Stories everyday. Yes it could happen here too, but You don't see people getting decappatated here. Or like the Morman families that got slaughtered yesterday down there. I know Guys that still go, but not Me. I know outfitters that won't go either. Not worth it. Glad You made it safeley.. I will be perfectly happy with My Royal Slam............BOB!

I'm missing the Florida bird. I'm way ahead on Easterns, Rios and Merriams. I could shoot a half dozen Osceolas and have a half dozen slams. I best get busy.

Last edited:
I've got a few preference points built up for a public land hunt for Osceolas in Florida. I should draw in 2-3 years. I really want to hunt turkeys with palm trees as a backdrop for some reason. If I get lucky and tag a bird down there, I'll be 3/4 of the way and will probably try to get around to hunting a Rio eventually just to say I did it. It's far from a top priority, but it would drive me to add another adventure to the list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back