Anyone Make X-bolt Stocks?

Well I changed it up and picked up an x-bolt 6.5prc yesterday. It’s honestly the caliber I wanted I just kept talking myself into 7mm because of the higher availability of ammo and I could get the gun a little cheaper in that caliber. But there where no 7mm in stock and I didn’t want to miss the Browning rebate going on so picked up the 6.5. I think I’m going to be very happy with it. Still planning to make some mods to it to make it the ultimate mountain x-bolt so will keep updateding as it goes. The stock is 2lbs even so doesn’t seem like McMillan will save me any.
MPI makes some really lightweight stocks for the X-bolt.
Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone with a newer MPI stock have a review of it. Seems like there is a lot of mixed reviews online since the daughter took over so a little nervous. Gonna try to get them on the phone this week.

Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone with a newer MPI stock have a review of it. Seems like there is a lot of mixed reviews online since the daughter took over so a little nervous. Gonna try to get them on the phone this week.

Sounds like a nice rifle! 6.5PRC looks like a really good 6.5.

I have no experience with MPI but I have also heard of some unhappy reviews...but I've also heard of happy customers too. They've been in business for a while so they must be doing something right. I have an A-bolt Titanium 270WSM that I've thought about putting in a McMillan Edge or MPI ultralight on but since it seems light enough I haven't done anything.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I’m going to ask the wife for a new rifle for Christmas this year but having trouble. I’m looking to get something sub 6.5lbs for backcountry deer and antelope and I really love an X-bolt. Problem is none of the pro models that meet my weight requirements really get me that excited. They just aren’t that good looking to me and tough to spend that kind of money. So I’m actually considering buying the cheapest x-bolt and getting it Cerekoted a custom color and buying a lightweight carbon fiber stock for it. But the only one I can find is the Pendleton from Oregon gunsmithing. The reviews online are very concerning though. Anyone have experience with them or have anther stock to recommend. Also considering buying a Howa 1500 or REM 700 barreled action and building from there. But I prefer single stage triggers, 3 position safeties, and detachable mags so both those would need some changes. Any other recommendations would be appreciated. Also considering just buying the new Springfield Waypoint, Weatherby Mark V, or one of the lightweight Kimbers if anyone has experiance with them.
The x bolt pro doesn’t look good to you. If you don’t like the bronze they make it in black and grey. I have hunted the last 3 years with it. Light weight and not a single scratch. 3 dead elk. Cerakoted, CF stock, great trigger. I will be buying another soon.

Attachments

• A1CB8DAC-CE65-4921-BA18-3393DAC3283E.jpeg
    A1CB8DAC-CE65-4921-BA18-3393DAC3283E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
The x bolt pro doesn’t look good to you. If you don’t like the bronze they make it in black and grey. I have hunted the last 3 years with it. Light weight and not a single scratch. 3 dead elk. Cerakoted, CF stock, great trigger. I will be buying another soon.
Lol. I actually do like burnt bronze. My elk gun is a Hell’s Canyon Speed and I love the looks. I just didn’t want a second bronze and I don’t love the black or grey. To plain for me. I like some character. Also I want to shorten the barrel some and couldn’t do that with the fluting. Also that is a beautiful gun man. The matching scope really goes well with it.

Well after a lot of research I’m still leaning towards customizing an x-bolt. My current idea is to buy the X-bolt Micro in 7mm-08. It is the same price as the cheapest full size. It comes with a 20” barrel instead of 22”. It also comes with a muzzle break which I want and isn’t on the cheapest full size. The stock is too short but I am replacing it either way. I called Browning and they assured me it is the same action and will fit aftermarket stocks.

I called Mcmillan today and they said they’d only do the game scout for the x-bolt. Which I was considering a classic shape but think I would be happy with the game scout though. They have a single one in stock ready to ship right now, but it is not in the edge lightweight carbon. The guy said the edge fill saves about 9oz. He said he didn’t think it was worth the $110 for the edge fill but man 9oz seems like a lot, and $110 doesn’t seem like much for a rifle I plan to use every year for a very long time. Manners was closed before I could call them but based on their website really seams like McMillan is the only option. Pendleton stock from Oregunsmitthing is still an option but the reviews are all over the place so I don’t know about them. Would you pay the extra money and wait time for the edge fill?

Also haven’t ruled out a Howa barreled action build. But after my research it seams like if you put the Timney trigger in to go from 2 stage to 1 stage trigger you loose the 3 position safety. Can someone with a Timney on a Howa confirm this?
Going to pick this very gun up today that I ordered for my wife for Christmas. The 7mmHT is a great round!

Lol. I actually do like burnt bronze. My elk gun is a Hell’s Canyon Speed and I love the looks. I just didn’t want a second bronze and I don’t love the black or grey. To plain for me. I like some character. Also I want to shorten the barrel some and couldn’t do that with the fluting. Also that is a beautiful gun man. The matching scope really goes well with it.
Gotcha. Then you can hydro dip any stock to what you like. Works great. Two of my Tikka. Then cerakote good luck !

Attachments

• 8C5C4113-9D85-48D9-9161-436CE48AABFD.jpeg
    8C5C4113-9D85-48D9-9161-436CE48AABFD.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 7D756EED-3C64-498C-9532-78C9EFC173A1.jpeg
    7D756EED-3C64-498C-9532-78C9EFC173A1.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
SWEET!!!!

Magnums and light stocks don’t mix. Think how your .30-06 kicks.

Now add another 6-10 lb of recoils.

I am building a .280 Remington on a big horn arms origin action…

I don’t like any more recoil than necessary.

Well I changed it up and picked up an x-bolt 6.5prc yesterday. It’s honestly the caliber I wanted I just kept talking myself into 7mm because of the higher availability of ammo and I could get the gun a little cheaper in that caliber. But there where no 7mm in stock and I didn’t want to miss the Browning rebate going on so picked up the 6.5. I think I’m going to be very happy with it. Still planning to make some mods to it to make it the ultimate mountain x-bolt so will keep updateding as it goes. The stock is 2lbs even so doesn’t seem like McMillan will save me any.

Did you ever change the stock. I am looking to upgrade a micro Midas X-bolt my son started with tina full size stock.

Did you ever change the stock. I am looking to upgrade a micro Midas X-bolt my son started with tina full size stock.
Yes I did. In January I ordered stock from McMillan. I am very happy with it. I got the Game Scout. It’s the only X-bolt option they make even though the website says call for more Browning options. I paid extra for the carbon fiber. It took like 4-5 months to be delivered. It’s been a while since I weighed it but think it was 7 to 9 ounces lighter. I would recommend McMillan to anybody. Amazing stock, backed with amazing service. I‘ve been meaning to post updates of the gun, but between the wait for the stock, then went to the gunsmith after the stock showed, then had to rush load development for hunting season so just been busy.

I did end up talking to a few different stock makers including MPI. McMillan was the only people I talked to that gave me a good feeling. Everyone else seemed flakey or not for sure about x-bolts and most charging more than McMillan.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back