MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Anyone hunted Wyoming Elk Unit 25/27?

utahminer

Has anyone hunted Wyoming Elk Unit 25/27?

I have done some searching through the older posts and this same question has been posed, but there has been very little response in return. I am hoping that in the last couple years more info has become available. I would be interested in your experiences, good and bad. I can only seem to find negative info on the unit, but the success rates seem reasonable with a descent bull:cow ratio, so it seems worth asking the Hunttalk crowd. If you feel the info is sensative then please feel free to shoot me a PM. Thanks in advance

Just so you know wyoming "success rates" are not accurate. You dont even report your kill unless you get a email/postcard survey. I think most numbers are actually drawn from checkpoint data which is completly skewed. At one point i had combined 15 consecutive big game tags that i had filled without state knowning. 2 years ago they got me on a elk and last year they surveyed my on elk deer and lope. Plus weather can be a major reason for success one year and huge drop year after. Just do research and dont stricly rely on success #s.

Chris

Just so you know wyoming "success rates" are not accurate. You dont even report your kill unless you get a email/postcard survey. I think most numbers are actually drawn from checkpoint data which is completly skewed. At one point i had combined 15 consecutive big game tags that i had filled without state knowning. 2 years ago they got me on a elk and last year they surveyed my on elk deer and lope. Plus weather can be a major reason for success one year and huge drop year after. Just do research and dont stricly rely on success #s.

Chris

Chris
That's great info. I have only had tags for general season deer, so I wasnt aware how the info was gathered. Thanks

I have hunted it as well as another LE unit in WY and two differnt general areas. My 2 cents is it "can be" a decent meat hunt, but not a good hunt for a quality bulls or a rut hunt. The size of the bulls is WAY smaller than the other central WY LE hunt I was on and a lot smaller than the two general units. I did get back a few miles in the general units so that may also be a factor. 25 is mostly open country that could be better weather dependent. I think this it is an OK hunt for locals, but pretty iffy for an out of state guy with a week to hunt. It takes some knowledge and work to find the elk. IMHO, for my type of hunting, I can do better in the general areas because I'm willing to hunt hard way back into the backcountry. I think this tag(25/27) was about worth the 2 points if used to take. Not worth the 4-5 it will take now. I'll hunt general 2-3 times in the time it would take for this tag and I'll shot better bulls or if I had more points I'd hold out for one of the other central WY tags futher to the East. There is no comparison in the quality of bulls in those units.

I have hunted it as well as another LE unit in WY and two differnt general areas. My 2 cents is it "can be" a decent meat hunt, but not a good hunt for a quality bulls or a rut hunt. The size of the bulls is WAY smaller than the other central WY LE hunt I was on and a lot smaller than the two general units. I did get back a few miles in the general units so that may also be a factor. 25 is mostly open country that could be better weather dependent. I think this it is an OK hunt for locals, but pretty iffy for an out of state guy with a week to hunt. It takes some knowledge and work to find the elk. IMHO, for my type of hunting, I can do better in the general areas because I'm willing to hunt hard way back into the backcountry. I think this tag(25/27) was about worth the 2 points if used to take. Not worth the 4-5 it will take now. I'll hunt general 2-3 times in the time it would take for this tag and I'll shot better bulls or if I had more points I'd hold out for one of the other central WY tags futher to the East. There is no comparison in the quality of bulls in those units.

elkocd
That is some amazing info. I really apprecite you being willing to share.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skywagon
Back