Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Anyone hunt SD Muleys?

bmoran93

Hey guys I've been scouring harvest stats and harvest info on archery deer hunts in SD. I'm hoping to get an "any deer" archery permit and my goal is to kill a mule deer in September. I'll use whitetails as my fallback option. I'm interested in hunting the Black Hills or the NW corner of the state (units 35 A,C,L or unit 15A,B). Can anyone confirm that I'm on the right track or tell me that I'm totally off base and should go elsewhere? Lol thanks

I would say you are on the right track. The South Dakota Game and Fish website will also have some maps to help you out finding public land.

The mule deer population is way down in the Black Hills best bet is in the prairie. NW part of the state is good lots of public land. Our GFP has an app you can download and has the public land atlas on it SD has great opportunity for public land hunting our state school lands are open to public hunting many states they are not.
If you are not afraid to leave the truck and put your boots to work you should have a good hunt.

I know this post is a few years old but what the heck. You are correct. As of now, June 2021, it’s harder for Non Residents to draw a tag. They are not allowed to participate in the draw until the 5th round I believe.

LOL. Where did you hear that?

I'm not a huge fan of talking about where I hunt but that is nonsense.

"Nonresident hunters are still eligible for 8 percent of the allocation for West River, Black Hills, and Refuge hunting seasons during the first drawing."-page 3 2021 Deer Applications brochure

Each unit selection also shows the specific nonresident allocation and cost.

You are certainly more philosophical about it than I am. You never have the urge to slam your fist on the table, get everyones attention and say "Dammit this isn't in the best interest of the sportsmen and women of South Dakota!"? I know I sure do.

Last edited:
LOL. I still have Kevin Robling's number in my phone from the cubing PP public input time frame. 😀

Last edited:
Suppose he will answer? IMO he’s taking orders from noem. Must be some sort of political reward in store, considering most every resident hunter is not happy about something. And he takes all the heat.

Oh ya. Or he did then. I very clearly explained my opposition to cubing and he did listen. The commission ignored me, but at least they listened.

Honestly, the fact that everyone is pissed about something makes me think they are generally on the right track.

They ignored my input about deer tags and nonresident archers as well. Oh, well.

Back