Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Anyone hunt near Longview, Oregon?

JB Florida

More specifically Clatskanie?
Its in Columbia County.

My moms family have several farms on the columbia river there and When I was there last there were deer EVERYWHERE in the pastures they have. I really don't know if they are blacktails or what. He had a big pile of antlers in the woodshed mostly Elk.
The ones I brought home do not have forks on the g2s so I guess they are whitetails?

Anyway is the hunting good in that area?
I may try to set something up for next fall.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-08-2002 14:07: Message edited by: JB Florida ]</font>

I have a brother who lives in clatskanie,he is pretty successful, but just like up here in washington it takes time and patience, and more time at least on public land that is . With an in like yours I would do it. I hunted a couple years ago with him for 4 days and saw one buck a 1x2 but passed looking for something bigger.
By the way I am really sure that your uncles pile of antlers were all blacktails.
I know this because the columbian whitetail that only inhabits the banks of the columbia river is a protected species. Also just so you know Longview is on the washington side of the columbia, about 20 minutes from Clatskanie, Ore. Good luck

Thanks Blacktail,

I'm going to check this out further.

On the antlers, This old guy .... well, you just never know about those oldtimers.
Know what I mean ;)
I remember one of the realitives saying that
because of the type of trees willamette
re-planted the deer had to come to these pastues to find food they could reach.
One farm is on an island that has a single track road built like a bridge and we used to watch the deer cross every morning and evening. Dad has some funny home movies of deer eating apples in the yard! Cool stuff!

Thanks for the info!

uhhhhhhhhhh....it turns out those are whitetails on that farm.
P R O T E C T E D !

That explains a lot.
I Just talked to mom and she said before he passed away a few years back, he went to Idaho hunting all the time.
That old timer favorite was Elk over there!

Thanks anyway though! :D
BUMMER!

Hey Jb
I talked to my bro last night , he said back in the day you might have been able to hunt those. Anyway I guess now you cant even hunt on the river side of the train tracks that run through there , not even for blacktails. I know the area you are talking about , we fish for spring salmon down there in early spring and have to travel through the sloughs for a while to get to the river, the fast growing cottonwoods and grassy meadows are absolutely awesome. Its a beautiful area. Any way do some more research and I will cross my fingers for you that maybe, just maybe you might be legal to hunt that farm. and give me a call if you need some help. Good luck

Thanks......
I know they sure have a bunch of bambis there.
The families health is not fairing well and I need to get on it if I'm gonna :D

Those slughs go all the way around the farms
I know one is like 1,000 acres and the other is much larger. Did you catch sturgen there?
We caught some on surf fishing rods that were bigger that I was as a kid!

Hey, JB
That farm thats on an island, thats not fisher island is it . There is a new permit for that island for 14 blacktails that started this year , you have to be an advanced hunter education graduate, Its on the washington side of the columbia and would be a washington tag, but its almost straight accross the river from clatskanie, Ore. If you have an in on this island that would be a great hunt, it wouldnt be a hard tag to draw either and more importantly I would qualify for it (ha ha). I have a nice hewescraft to get there too. anyway good luck again. see ya Jon

Back