Anyone here chasin' lions in AZ?

AZOutdoors

I'm looking to meetup with someone in AZ who wouldn't mind showing me a thing or two about hounds. I've finally got a place to keep them and I would like to get one or two. I just don't want to step into it blindly.

Thanks!!

------------------
Let's go, we're burnin'
daylight.

AZ-I dint know of anybody in arizona that hunts lions, you are the first!!! Would sure love to do it sometime tho. We usually run ourr dogs on snow here, but sometimes they catch them in the dirt. It has happened to us where we started them in the snow up high and the lion headed for the low country and we ended up in the dirt so I think they could do it. FInding the tracks in the dirt could be the worst problem. If ya have alot of lions tho a fella could just go horseback and cast the dogs, and I believe it would work. Tell us some more about what you are looking for. DO you know someone who has some good dogs in that country? You said ya had a place to keep dogs, so you are almost there. I wish I could help ya but I know nothing about arizona much or the hunting there. Delw, and the Greek from this forum are from Arizona! Drop into the Fireside Palce for Friends section of this forum and look them up. They just might be able to help ya out more than you know! Welcome again to Moosies forum!! bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif
Logoboy.jpg

Welcome to the forum AZoutdoors.
I know alot of place's here in az that has plenty of lion. I dont know anyone who has dogs. So if ya get the dogs I will show ya.
If I do here of someone that has dogs I will let you know. You might want to try MARK PLUNKET @ wildlife creations(taxidermist) he might be able to point you in the right direction.

Delw

Oh, I know there are a lot of lions around here. I find tracks all the time, I just don't have dogs or know all that much about them.

Bcat- We do get snow in Northern Az and when it is there, thats when guys are runnin dogs, up there. However, I'm closer to the desert areas. I know there are some big cats out there. I've only seen tracks and a few old kills. Here, we have a year round season and over the counter tags, but the summer is way to hot to be running dogs (sometimes spring and fall are too). Also the dogs have to be good on dry ground.

I have a friend and his dad runs a ranch in southern NM and he runs hounds on dry ground. I've seen all kinds of pictures. He has been telling me, for years, he is gonna take me over there but it hasn't happened in 8, so I'm not holding my breath.

Oh, I know there are a lot of lions around here. I find tracks all the time, I just don't have dogs or know all that much about them.

Bcat- We do get snow in Northern Az and when it is there, thats when guys are runnin dogs, up there. However, I'm closer to the desert areas. I know there are some big cats out there. I've only seen tracks and a few old kills. Here, we have a year round season and over the counter tags, but the summer is way to hot to be running dogs (sometimes spring and fall are too). Also the dogs have to be good on dry ground.

I have a friend and his dad runs a ranch in southern NM and he runs hounds on dry ground. I've seen all kinds of pictures. He has been telling me, for years, he is gonna take me over there but it hasn't happened in 8, so I'm not holding my breath.

AZ-I would love to come down that way sometime to hunt lions. When I retire I think thats a plan. I would come right now and go with ya but I cant get away! too close to calving season and I got to feed the cows every day. They wouldnt appreciate not eating for a week or two
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I bet if you hang around here long enuff, youll either find some dogs, or some connections, that will make your hunting come true for lions. Keep in touch, and maybe we can get The Greek over here too, maybe he has some ideas along with DelW suggestions. Keep us posted on how its going. Are you in SOuthern Arizona or central or where? bcat

------------------
bcatrunningcat.gif
Logoboy.jpg

bcat - I'm about 40 miles SE of Phoenix and 90 miles N of Tucson, I guess you could call that central.

I'm hoping I can at least make some local contacts here, that is better then I've got now. But either way, I'll get to see the pics you guys post and read your stories!!!

I spend most of the afternoon reading all the old posts and looking at the pics, just that in its self was fun and I even learned a few things.
biggrin.gif

AZoutdoors.......work your way toward kingman there are few people that have hounds.. Look Up an old boy by the name of Burt Earving last I heard he was runnin a tow service between kingman and pheonix in one of them little towns...He has some excellent dogs. I Havent spoken with him in over a year and at that time he was in NV. he has since moved down that direction.

------------------
If there isn't any dogs in heaven .....IAINT GOIN

[This message has been edited by Wolfer (edited 01-22-2001).]

Wolfer I really like your saying at the bottom of your posts!!!! bcat

------------------
bcatrunningcat.gif
Logoboy.jpg

AZoutdoors
E-mail me I know a couple of people that have dogs. The trouble is I havent seen them hunt,So I dont know if they know what they are doing.
One guy is about 70 or so and claims that at one time he was one of the best in NM, but I never seen him without a beer in his hand and only heard of his dogs never seen em.
The other fella is a outfitter in Wikiup but again only herd him talk about the pups never seen em. We are planing to make it down there to the medival fesival this spring so maby we can meet face to face.

------------------
Good Luck
The Greek

popeye_brut.gif

Wolfer - I couldn't find any thing on that guy. I also tried using Irving, but nothin'. If ya get a number on him, let me know.

Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it.

Az-
There's a guy in Flagstaff, goes by Jim Bedlion. Got a guide service up there, and he's hell on wheels when it comes to cats. I used to have some friends up in Flag that ran lion hounds, too. Name of Daulton. 3 brothers, Johnny, Jerry, and Tony. I haven't heard from them in years, so I don't know if they're still around or not. I DO know that Jim Bedlion is, tho. His number should be in the book. Good luck, amigo. Big D

------------------
"Keepin' 'em in the black"
"Coalition, Strong, Proud, and Growing"
"If ya wanna save a tree, then eat a beaver"

Ok Let me do some checking. I know he is there i just got to search up some contacts on Him and for a fact i know he has some good dry dirt dogs i Have chased them..LOL.......Thanks bcat i seen it somewhere and it always stuck it aint mine but till johnny law speaks up and says i cant use it ill keep it up

------------------
If there isn't any dogs in heaven .....IAINT GOIN

Thanks Big D!!!! I forgot about you being in his territory!!! I didnt mean to leave ya out I just forgot!! AZ Outdoors, I hope ya find something that helps ya out on this. Anybody else got any ideas? bcat

------------------
bcatrunningcat.gif

chambliss_4Logoboy.jpg

Back