Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Anyone have a tier drop

undercover

Any HT’ers have a tier drop camper trailer or know anyone who loves them or hates them? My wife and I back in the day always tented, even with young kids. Looking to get back into weekend camping as we are now empty nesters but really hate the thought of sleeping back on the ground. The tier drop light weight trailers may seem to be the way to go, other than not being able to stand up. Primary vehicle is a 4Runner, secondary vehicle is being shopped for. Looking for input who could share some insight. We just came back from Wyoming on a pronghorn hunt, had plans on sleeping in back of 4Runner, pulled the middle seats out and everything but the heater blower motor went out on the way from Michigan so we just did hotels. I have at least 4 more hunts planned In Wyoming and I am a little concerned about a full size camper going through mountain passes. Not real excited about a pop either as I have read only hard sided campers allowed in areas in west/NW wyoming. Thanks in advance

I have a teardrop that I built. Its been used a lot. It’s great for fair weather camping, but sucks if there’s a hint of bad weather. No comfortable place to get out of the weather.
Here’s the biggest negative: getting up at 3am to pee. That can be brutal.
I also have a 21 foot travel trailer that we love. Had a bigger one, downsized for better access to boondocking spots. Bigger is not always better, depends on how you plan to use. The A-liner with fold up hard sides is pretty cool. If you want to stay on the smallish side, I’d look at that or a Casita.

I have a Sherpa Yeti. I bought it 4 years ago. Today's base price is more than I paid with almost every add on 4 years ago, but todays base price is still half what many of the other teardrop campers cost.

I love it. My wife and I use it constantly in the late spring and summer, and I use it on hunting trips in the fall. Ive been comfortable in it on 20 degree nights.

The tear drops seem pretty expensive for what is mostly a bed on wheels. Some have some pretty neat features but at the end of the day you can't stand up in them. It seems mostly for the Jeep overlander crowd who 'need' something short and off roady. My friend brought his Aliner to camp this year and it was pretty slick. Thinking it may be the route we go in the near future. They are short enough to take most places but still offer two decent sized beds. Folding up and down is a breeze as well. Relatively inexpensive to boot.

Thanks for the recent responses today. I’m on the cliff on the enclosed trailer conversion. I mean ready to jump. YouTubing all I can for setups with insulation, heat, electrical with or without solar, shore station, sink or no sink, etc etc. if we draw tags it’s off the cliff on a build

We bought a 1964 Terry travel trailer for 300 bucks. The frame and floor was good but walls were shot. I gutted it all and redid the insulation with huge bags of scraps from the dumpster at a construction site. Paid a premium for plywood because it was up to something ridiculous like $64 a sheet, and didn’t need any of the electrical components nor did I trust the wiring. Propane worked great in stove and solar lighting. Took 3 weeks til we were on our first camping trip. Even had to punch my own VIN and get it approved. So folks, this is a 2020 Terry!! 😂😅

I used 7/16 and it’s probably a bit heavier than the original but tows well and no chinsy 1/8” crap you’ll put your hand through stepping over the dog or too many IPAs.. 🤪

****Apparently you have to click the interior pic while you can scroll the others. We’ve added flooring backsplash different drawer handles and all kinda stuff since, but this is right before the maiden voyage. I’m pretty sure we were still rolling on 40 year old tires even at that point

Attachments

• 39EB43DC-FD2D-460B-80B0-2AE1E3FCDAE2.jpeg
    39EB43DC-FD2D-460B-80B0-2AE1E3FCDAE2.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
  • 87FF8D8D-3508-464F-9E7E-C19772CAE40D.jpeg
    87FF8D8D-3508-464F-9E7E-C19772CAE40D.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 27
  • BE3720BE-5029-46F7-B06F-3CEED65DAAF0.jpeg
    BE3720BE-5029-46F7-B06F-3CEED65DAAF0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • 7314D505-FFEC-48E6-B511-916D6867A5F8.jpeg
    7314D505-FFEC-48E6-B511-916D6867A5F8.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 14FA6DF7-332E-4901-8F20-C1D9F27773A2.jpeg
    14FA6DF7-332E-4901-8F20-C1D9F27773A2.jpeg
    308.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 6257ACA8-9A1D-4BA1-AFA1-4B385F128AFD.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 8
I’ve looked at a lot of them online and to me it seems like you could get a lot more bang for your bucks by just using/converting a cargo trailer.
Not really, a cargo trailer will cost more to pull. There is no fire safety standards in a cargo trailer. There is also no secondary exit should things go bad. Condensation & o2is a big deal within a small space for the size they are looking at.

I’ve done the conversion and can’t say I would do it again after going to an actual camper. It worked but all of those things listed above were always on my mind. With the camper we just camp without the worries.

Not really, a cargo trailer will cost more to pull. There is no fire safety standards in a cargo trailer. There is also no secondary exit should things go bad. Condensation & o2is a big deal within a small space for the size they are looking at.

I’ve done the conversion and can’t say I would do it again after going to an actual camper. It worked but all of those things listed above were always on my mind. With the camper we just camp without the worries.
Why does a cargo trailer cost more to pull?

IMO tear drop only makes sense if pulling behind a car. I had a buddy I used to WW kayak with that would pull a tear drop with a diesel jetta, said it didn't really change is MPG with that rig. He'd show up every weekend at the Ocoee or Nantahala or other towing that thing behind his VW, pretty neat option for someone with a car.

I can’t say I’ve been one. But would be using all seasons with wife and Labrador. We have a tone of state land around here in central Michigan to disappear. Maybe I should do one of those board room white board Pro’s/Cons. Havent seen to much chatter on CO2 in a trailer conversion but a bit on the condensation.

Back