Caribou Gear

Anyone have a Sony a6400??

Camdu7

I have a Sony 5100 and I want to upgrade but still use my current lenses. Has anyone used the new Sony a6400? Does the new tech in the camera make it a better choice than the 6500? I know the 6500 has IBIS but most of my lenses already have OOS. I use the camera for 50/50 filming and photos.

I have one. Have a 6300 and had a 6000 before that. You'd be surprised at how much of our footage was shot with one of these cameras. I've just started playing with the new 6400. The crew has used it more than I have. They really like it.

If I was in the market and was looking at the 6300/6400/6500, I would choose the 6400. IBIS will make it easier to get some shots, but I don't think it will be that big of a jump if you already have OS lenses. The real perk for the 6400 is that it has Eye-AF and claims to have a slightly faster focusing time - it will (probably) do a better job of intelligently focusing on people and pets. I have the a7iii, and one of the features I love most is Eye-AF.

I think the comparison is close. You get a bigger burst buffer and IBIS with the 6500, but I think I would get more value out of the improved autofocus. There is a chance Sony makes further software improvements to the a6400 (for example, they just released a firmware update for my a7iii that brought extra features to the camera), but since the a6500 is older, there is a lower chance you'll be able to get new features via firmware update.

I have an A6400 incoming, based in part, on the recommendation of some guy on another forum who goes by “Randy Newberg.” I was tempted to go with the A6500 because of the IBIS, but the newer technology, faster focus (might use for my daughter’s basketball games) and slightly better battery life of the A6400 won out.

If I didn’t think I really needed the camera for September, I probably would have waited to see if Sony came out with an A6600 that combined the attributes of the A6400 and the A6500.

Just bought an a6400 last month. Played with it a little bit so far and love it. I find it easier to use and more intuitive than my Nikon d7000. Glad to see Big Fin and a few others are fans of the Sonys. Made me feel better about getting the crop sensor camera instead of going full frame right away.

FWIW, the Sigma- 16mm f1.4 is an amazing lens when paired with this camera. I’m really happy with the limited playing around I’ve done with it so far.

Mine came in earlier this month. I got it with the 18-135mm lens. So far, I have been pretty impressed with the still photos it takes. I haven’t really played with the video function yet.

If you get one, make sure to get some back-up batteries because it will drain them quickly.

The app for transferring photos from the camera to my phone works much better than the app that goes with my daughter’s Nikon.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back